Whether to break-in new NiMH cells (HSD) or to leave them in storage?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
So since buying another BC1000 unit i got those crappy La Crosse cells. The older cells are holding up pretty well in flashlights and the string LED lights i got from Amazon, but i have a question? Should i break-in the new cells and use them (i could always find a use for them) or should i just leave them in storage for now until i actually need them. I don't have a problem using them either, i'll find a use for them if it would be better as they'll probably degrade no matter what. I was curious on your thoughts on this. I may at least do an IR test on them with the C9000 to see if they are even new or they have been sitting for a lengthy period of time.

I know with Eneloops and high quality LSD cells you don't have to use them right away as they'll still function well if you let them sit in storage for a long time.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
How about doing a Break-in, then store and leave them untouched and test their capacity in 1 year, or longer. Interesting to see how they do.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MidnightDistortions,

With normal NiMh cells (not LSD) I have found the best storage involves storing the cells discharged. Then every 90 days subject the cells to a charge/discharge cycle.

This tends to keep them "vibrant" for when you finally put them into use.

Tom

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, thanks that seems to be the consensus is to cycle them and then either store them or use them. This is what i got from La Crosse,

1-NiMH rechargeable batteries will self-discharge in 30-60 days. New batteries just purchased have been sitting in a warehouse or store shelf for an unknown period of time. For best performance charge them before using them.

2-Rechargeable batteries become better over time. It is best to charge batteries before their first use or after a long storage. Then use them in a device, charge them, use them, charge them, 5-10 times before "refreshing" the batteries.

3-The REFRESH mode will discharge and recharge the battery up to 20 times to reach its fullest capacity. The REFRESH or conditioning mode works best on batteries that have been used under load for a while first. It is also a great way to renew old rechargeable batteries.

Basically there is nothing wrong with the batteries, they likely just need to be used. And for that reason, we'd recommend cycling all of them.

I will try their method with one set of the cells and the other i will try it with a break-in and see how they do. If i don't plan on using them i will store them as you suggested SilverFox. Thanks again!

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 2600mAh AA cells in break-in mode on the 2600. After a 6 hour charge ordeal 3 of the 1000mAh AAA cells finished charging in the BC1000 while one them was still charging. Since this is the first cycle, i thought i'd do a light discharge (down to 1.27v) in my T7 light so i just pulled the last battery since it was getting warm like the other cells but wouldn't finish (i marked that battery as 4). The cycle usage as recommended by La Crosse i am figuring the batteries work best on a load, but i doubt they expect me to just simply drain the batteries as i'll use my flashlight as normal (the first couple of times switching from high to low and stopping when the light gets warm). Since the C9000's break-in takes around 40+hours it'll be another day or two to determine whether the cells held capacity.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the C9000 results came back from the break-in, i got only about 2000mAh across the board with these cells. It was only one break-in.. so with the other cells i'm going to see if cycling the battery and then using refresh on the BC1000 will help any. Those AAA cells are still 90% charged.