EDC, Single AA, 100+ lumens, comes on bright, has low setting

Twinsen

Newly Enlightened
Fellows,

I lost my Fenix LD15 after many years of use and abuse. I carried it on a karabiner with my keys. I see there are hundreds of flashlights out there, and I'm spending 15 minutes per trying to find out if they come on bright, and none have so far.

If you guys could help me out, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer help! Since LEDs became cheap and good, I've lost hold on who makes good flashlights and I figure I have too many hobbies to spend the time learning the market for these.

Necessary:
-AA battery
-100+ lumens
-Turns on on the brightest setting
-Has a low setting

Bonus:
-Tan, OD, or camo color
-Bright as possible without going over say $60 tops

I do not care whether it is the click style, twist style, or what.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does memory mode count for coming on in high? The Factor Equipment Mizpah 160 will do that.

Zebralights have direct access to high or to low, depending on your preference.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Niteize X1 comes on in high first, I think. It's a fairly basic 2 mode light. The newest version, just released a few months ago, should put out a little over 100 lumens.

I'm pretty sure the Armytek Prime and Partner also come on in their turbo mode with a triple click. Or they come in last mode used with a single click.

I think the Klarus Mi7 can also come on in high if you do the right button press.

A pretty decent number of other lights come on in last mode used, such as the Thrunite Archer. You just have to remember to leave them in high when turning them off.

Twinsen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys! I spent another few hours watching 10 minute youtube videos to find out at minute 8 that they come on dim and not bright.

This one looks like a winner, but I don't think they make them anymore. They're out of stock everywhere. There are at least 4 versions of the SC5 and I can't decipher them.

I'm interested in the Inova X1 as well. I'll call them tomorrow and find out how they work.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys! I spent another few hours watching 10 minute youtube videos to find out at minute 8 that they come on dim and not bright.

This one looks like a winner, but I don't think they make them anymore. They're out of stock everywhere. There are at least 4 versions of the SC5 and I can't decipher them.

I'm interested in the Inova X1 as well. I'll call them tomorrow and find out how they work.

All Zebralights have the option of starting in Hi mode or Lo mode, depending on a short press or long press of the button.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight you can order straight from Zebralight.

They just released a new version of that light, the SC5 II. There is also a smaller version with a few small changes, call the SC52.

For the SC5, here's a version overview:

SC5 - Cool white, typical spill+hotspot beam. Better for throw.
SC5F - Diffuser for floody beam. Better for up-close.
SC5w / SC5Fw - similar to above, but with a neutral white light tone.
SC5c - high CRI version with spill + hotspot beam. Compromises slightly on light intensity for more pleasing light quality.

Edit - removed link. Sorry...should have noticed the policy.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just a reminder, for this subforum ... no outside links please (see large notice posted above, highlighted in yellow)

You can discuss brands and model numbers, just don't link directly to outside dealers / sales / stores / suppliers

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight you can order straight from Zebralight.

They just released a new version of that light, the SC5 II. There is also a smaller version with a few small changes, call the SC52.

For the SC5, here's a version overview:

SC5 - Cool white, typical spill+hotspot beam. Better for throw.
SC5F - Diffuser for floody beam. Better for up-close.
SC5w / SC5Fw - similar to above, but with a neutral white light tone.
SC5c - high CRI version with spill + hotspot beam. Compromises slightly on light intensity for more pleasing light quality.

Edit - removed link. Sorry...should have noticed the policy.

The SC52 is not a version of the SC5 at all?
They run different voltage ranges entirely and the SC5 is primarily designed to be used with Eneloop batteries and will not run on higher voltage.

SC52 are capable of wider voltage and pretty small compared to the SC5 to at leadt in my pocket!

Streamlight ProTac lights can come on in high or low and you change them yourself any time,give them a look.

light-modder

Enlightened
Eagletac D25A clickie. Keep the head tight and you have turbo and strobe. While the light is on twist the head a little loose and it goes to low and can toggle to medium, high and there are hidden strobe, sos and a few other modes.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
The first thing that came to mind with your requirements is the Klarus Mi7. It starts ion high and I find you hold the button down it will start in moonlight mode. This is generally my EDC light and is a real barn burner with a 14500 battery. The power button protrudes from the body of the flashlight which makes it prone to accidental activation. Not an issue for me as the light has both electronic and physical lockout.

It can be found for about $20.00 with a code. I posted a link to a review on BLF.

Bob

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48094

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC52 is not a version of the SC5 at all?
They run different voltage ranges entirely and the SC5 is primarily designed to be used with Eneloop batteries and will not run on higher voltage.

SC52 are capable of wider voltage and pretty small compared to the SC5 to at leadt in my pocket!

Right. I was using the term "version" loosely to discuss Zebralight AA models in general. Sorry for any confusion.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light to consider is the Jetbeam Jet 1-MK which has mode memory and so will come on in high if that is the level it was left at when shut off. It has good efficiency and run time. I think its a pretty good value for a single AA light considering the price isn't that much.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. I was using the term "version" loosely to discuss Zebralight AA models in general. Sorry for any confusion.
I just want the O.P. to not be confused and maybe not consider ZL thinking that the 2 lights are essentially similar,because they are not aside from both using an AA battery size.

A lot of people are under the impression that they are the same but more so the SC52 came along first but from your comment it looked like the SC5 was first, but either way are just not the same.

Latest posts