OPUS BT-C100

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could not find a thread on that charger, so I start a new one.

Not much information except it is "too optimistic" on termination voltage: at the end it displays 4.22V which would be fine having in mind settling of a newly charged battery. But when I checked the same cell with a DMM it turned out to be only 4.14V. I don't like my OPUS any more as its other measurements may be same inaccurate :)

ven

Flashaholic
I have one in work specifically for my 4.35v cells, so used daily and at least once, sometimes twice. I will check over the next few days the termination voltage on 16650 /18650 and a loop AA pro. See what the term V is compared to my works MM(di-log DL9309).

My experience has been good, its a great charger, decent quality plastic/nice display and plenty flexible in the chemistry department. My one and only gripe(almost only) is the 4.35v setting(3.8v). You have to wait once cell inserted(always shows 1a which is good and more convenient for me over the bt c3100's 0.5a). Once this stops flashing, holding the mode button for several seconds causes the charge to flash, then a couple of seconds later the 3.7v to flash. At this point i release the mode button, tap once to change the flashing 3.7v to 3.8v and then ready to go!. (Little extra gripe)Also not that i have really looked into it, i can not get past 1.6a rate, no 2a rate to be found unless it can tell of the actual cell placed(never tried a 26650 in it as not used in work).
So much easier too have a physical switch for 3.2/3.6/3.8(like the vpII as one example). It can be a little bit of a pita tbh, as at least once a day it takes around 10's to get my charge going.

Thinking back to last Wednesday a comment in work "nice that, nice bit of kit" from someone who is no flashaholic. Maybe the bright clear display and the shiny eneloop pro AA sat in , looked like gadget candy:)

ven

Flashaholic
Oh too add , so far its been very consistent , no issues at all! However i will check the V again(have done a bit back when 1st bought, must have been respectable as forgot!) :laughing:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Could not find a thread on that charger, so I start a new one.

Not much information except it is "too optimistic" on termination voltage: at the end it displays 4.22V which would be fine having in mind settling of a newly charged battery. But when I checked the same cell with a DMM it turned out to be only 4.14V. I don't like my OPUS any more as its other measurements may be same inaccurate :)

I had a similar problem about the same voltage and I found a page that showed you how to mod it to get the voltage right.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?420704-Quick-review-of-Opus-BT-C100

ven

Flashaholic
Here you are Vad, only done the 1 cell for now, 16650 for my SF
It would have been "full" for a few mins , as i had left it on charge topping up. So pressed to get the termination V

Then straight off, checked against the MM

Close enough for me on this opus.

ven

Flashaholic
May you check indicated voltage in case USB-out is off? Mine is off.

I can on the next top off, i may have caught that and i have not noticed any difference with having that on or off so far. I tend to press that to start the charge quicker, basically once the 3.8v is selected, instead of waiting for it to start charging, i just press it and it stops flashing and starts charging.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Also not that i have really looked into it, i can not get past 1.6a rate, no 2a rate to be found unless it can tell of the actual cell placed(never tried a 26650 in it as not used in work).
The 2A mode is only for nimh chemistry, max for lithium ion is 1.6A.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for info lynx, I more than likely would not have found it then . I tend to just use 1a for my AA loops. 1a or 1.3a for the 16650's and 1.6a for my work high drains.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Thanks for info lynx, I more than likely would not have found it then . I tend to just use 1a for my AA loops. 1a or 1.3a for the 16650's and 1.6a for my work high drains.

I found a manual online.... sort of. I think the 1.6A may be related to 5v power supply that comes with it and perhaps even allowing it full output on 2.1A USB inputs too using the front connector socket. I've read somewhere that the optimal charging rate for lithium ion is 0.7C I rarely use the 1.6A but then I don't charge a lot of batteries with it so I don't need to get them fast back in service.
After doing the voltage hack to it the only issue I have is leaving it plugged in and the display lights up the room at night so I bought an extension right angle cord and inline cord switch so I can click mine off when not using it, the power supply is still running though.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool idea with the switch. Mine tends to get used once a day, usually last thing or 1st thing in the morning(when ever i top off the cell/s basically). So it just gets took out of my tool box, used then put away............well other than the other day after those pics above. I forgot to put it away and left it out all night(no cell in it). I do like the fact it always starts at 1a where as the bt c3100 is 0.5a.

Overall i am pretty happy with the little c100, nicely made, nice display and plenty flexible for my needs. The IR reading is cool to, not too sure how accurate it is, but it gives a figure to keep an eye on(going up!). The only change for me would be the voltage settings, make it quicker ..........

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Cool idea with the switch. Mine tends to get used once a day, usually last thing or 1st thing in the morning(when ever i top off the cell/s basically). So it just gets took out of my tool box, used then put away............well other than the other day after those pics above. I forgot to put it away and left it out all night(no cell in it). I do like the fact it always starts at 1a where as the bt c3100 is 0.5a.

Overall i am pretty happy with the little c100, nicely made, nice display and plenty flexible for my needs. The IR reading is cool to, not too sure how accurate it is, but it gives a figure to keep an eye on(going up!). The only change for me would be the voltage settings, make it quicker ..........

Just don't leave batteries in it, when the power goes out it will use the battery to power the display but I think only lithium ion batteries can power it as that is part of the power bank feature. Before I got the switch and right angle adapter I was using several post it notes stuck together to cover the display. When I was using mine to analyze a bunch of 18650 laptop pulls after it discharged them to give me the mah capacity I took the battery out and put it into a cheap plastic power bank to recharge it. In a pinch the cheap ebay power banks are good for charging 18650s but are rather slow.