Barbolight        

Thread: Post your incan 'secrets'

Default Post your incan 'secrets'

As I am working with bulbs almost every day I have found out a few lesser known things about bulbs that I thought I would share - do you have any to add too?

1. If the filament is over one side or too high in the envelope you will never get a good beam. Make sure your bulbs are not sloppy and out of whack.
    2. The written rating of bulbs is rarely correct - you need to often try a few ratings and see what works best.
    3. No point in overdriving vacuum bulbs - they end up blackened and you have wasted your money. Alkaline batteries almost always overdrive vintage bulbs.
    4. If fitting pre-focus bulbs, Mag bulbs are a good upgrade to standard bulbs.
    5. For MES type, try to get old stock bulbs from the 50's-70's - they are usually better quality than modern ones.

I'm sure I will think of more, but that's a start. Got any to share?

Default Re: Post your incan 'secrets'

An old, hard-rock miner told me that LED emitters are not suitable for finding gold in a seam underground. He said to use incandescent. Is that true?

In the first days where LEDs first gained the attention of illumination over indication there were severe color rendition issues (*cough* tint lottery *cough*) that left the output somewhere between green-blue to blue-purple hues. For any application that requires an accurate color rendition LEDs are out of the ballgame from the get go. Most of that is changed now that "neutral white" came about and LED technology allowed outputs to be classified by color temperature.

If I post 'em they're no longer secret.

Carbon zinc batteries work perfect in early flashlights, where alkaline casings are slightly too large. The yellow Rayovacs or black Eveready's.

The early vest pocket lights used double a cells. Early "cell packs" for C and D lights were double a cells wrapped in electrical tape and had a cardboard wrap. 2 length were simply a pair of double a cells stacked.

Focus beam'd lights began around 1920.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-18-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    John 3:16
    "Never shoot a gatling gun wearing sandals" -PK