FourSevens        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I be scared my Acebeam K70 might explode?

Default Should I be scared my Acebeam K70 might explode?

So the quick story: I got a Acebeam K70 with XHP35 High Intensity several weeks ago. At the same time I also bought (4) new Olight 3200 mAh batteries (ORB- 186P32) to be used exclusively with the K70. (Anytime I get a new light requiring more than 1 lithium ion batteries I always buy a new set together, use it exclusively for that light, always charge them together and when possible, try to get a different color battery to go with the different lights!)

The light worked great till last week and I used it often. When camping several times I left the light on all night in the lowest (.5 lumens?) mode which I do to help me find the light in the dark.

So last week we were going for a night ride with the family in the jungle. I had topped up the batteries before leaving and so they were fully charged. Putting it back together I tested the light in high and low and it seemed fine and I turned it off. We used the light a couple times on low in the landcruiser to look for stuff inside the vehicle on the trip out. About 30 minutes later I hear something out the window, turn the light on high and click the tail switch but nothing happened. I played with it for a bit, moving the selector ring to different modes, turning it off and on but it never turned on. We all noticed a really smell but at first I thought it was the vehicle. Stopped, popped the hood, grabbed the light (forgetting it didn't work!) and it was so hot it hurt to touch it and would have burned my hand if I held onto it.
    I got my wife and kids away, took the battery tailcap off and let the battery holder slide out onto the ground. It was extremely hot, smelled horrible and the front of the batteries looked like they were melted.

So any thoughts? Could it be the batteries? The light itself? I was wondering if perhaps something shorted on the battery carrier? Should I try it again?

Taking the battery carrier out:

Last edited by rickypanecatyl; 07-18-2017 at 02:59 AM.

Default Re: Should I be scared my Acebeam K70 might explode?

The Acebeam K70 has a dual spring setup in the battery tube an outerspring for the negative and an inner spring for the positive. I own many lights and I never have seen this... but to me the first thing I'd think is lithium ion batteries have shorted against one another. Make sure those springs are properly aligned and not touching. I know that the springs got goofed up once, and I had problems closing it. This seemed to happen if I removed the tailcap... so I realigned them and started removing the battery tube from the head, and it never happened again.

Thank you sir! You are a genius! (Or I'm an idiot!)

Here's what I found when I took the tailcap off...

The inner coil is mushed into the outer coil definitely making contact. So is it safe to assume that is what the problem was? As I try to image how it screwed back together it looks like the inner positive spring would have mushed more into the outer negative ring when tightened and never made contact with the inner part of the battery carrier ring.

So glad your light isn't wrecked, even more glad you are in one piece.
    That is sloppy design of the first order.
    P

That is concerning. I also have a K70.

Looks like they should have at least designed an insulator sleeve or something equivalent between the inner and outer springs.

Thanks for the warning and glad you're ok.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    Here's what I found when I took the tailcap off...

The inner coil is mushed into the outer coil definitely making contact.
    And just when I was ready to blame a faulty cell...

Thank heavens everyone is alright and the incident occurred outside, where everyone is far less likely to inhale toxic fumes from the battery.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was. I can't say if it fried your light, I'd put in a second set of batteries and monitor it very closely. I would definitely not use the tailcap as the entry of the battery carrier any more. I never had cells heat up or short, I just had a hard time screwing it down- which is how I noticed. Removing the cells via the head helped, and it never has had that problem since (well over a year of ownership).

I had thought there was some kind of warning about not removing the cells via the tail cap, this is obviously the reason. I've probably changed my K70 batteries nearly 50 times by removing the head and have not had a single issue. Bend that spring back and get some fresh cells and you should be set. Glad to see that pretty flashlight didn't pop, kinda scary to think about.

I have owned and been using regularly my k70 since April 2016.
    My K70's tail cap is locked in place (factory default) and for any battery changes I will need to unscrew the head portion to remove the carrier, this have been done countless times.
    I have never used any protected Li-Ion battery set with my k70, I always use only unprotected flat top Li-Ion or IMR batteries and It has always been fine and very reliable.
    Thank goodness you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mhanlen View Post
    The Acebeam K70 has a dual spring setup in the battery tube an outerspring for the negative and an inner spring for the positive. I own many lights and I never have seen this... but to me the first thing I'd think is lithium ion batteries have shorted against one another. Make sure those springs are properly aligned and not touching. I know that the springs got goofed up once, and I had problems closing it. This seemed to happen if I removed the tailcap... so I realigned them and started removing the battery tube from the head, and it never happened again.
    So after I get the springs nice and straight that's exactly what I'll do. I found the head was quite a bit harder to unscrew than the tailcap so my plan (I'm throwing out here for all ye all's thoughts!) is to lube the threads between the battery tube and the head and put lock tite on the tailcap threads in case I forget again!

@rickypanecatyl
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet: do not try to charge any of those 4 batteries again, once they've been shorted like this they're defective and dangerous and can go .
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

So is this issue isolated to the K70 or are other Acebeam's sharing the same design?

Looks like Acebeam should make a better set up for the batteries. A lot of this performance and technology is pushing the limits of safety. Glad all are ok. There are some lights I pass on because I can see something going wrong if I owned it. Maybe the K70 is a light for me to pass on. Fun but potentially dangerous. Like anything that is fun. Potentially dangerous.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Minescence View Post
    Looks like Acebeam should make a better set up for the batteries. A lot of this performance and technology is pushing the limits of safety. Glad all are ok. There are some lights I pass on because I can see something going wrong if I owned it. Maybe the K70 is a light for me to pass on. Fun but potentially dangerous. Like anything that is fun. Potentially dangerous.
    Did the batteries trip their protection circuits ?
    May be too late to tell without a volt meter.
    Just curious
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

The Olight cells I have are by far the longest of any cells I own-fortunately for me, there was such a difficult time trying to tighten the tail cap I stopped. One spring was bent and if I had gone just a little further, I believe it would have shorted. Perhaps replace with batteries that are shorter but still protected?

I only have the X45 for comparison- and it's a different design, with no tailcap and no spring in the bottom of the battery tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    @rickypanecatyl
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet: do not try to charge any of those 4 batteries again, once they've been shorted like this they're defective and dangerous and can go .
    Thanks for the reminder!

Wow that's a bit scary. Good thing that you acted fast and got your family away and everyone seems to be alright. That is an unsafe spring design for sure.

Looks like those batteries are protected. It's also concerning that it doesn't appear that the protection kicked in to kill the current when the short happened.
    SoCalTiger
    Recent Reviews: Thorfire S70S / Thorfire S1 / Thorfire TK15 & TK15S / Thorfire TK4A / Thorfire TG06S / Wuben T101 / Wuben TP10 / Zanflare F1 / Zanflare F2 / Sofirn SP31

Oh man... Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't that seem like kind of an inherently dangerous design? The spring can literally bend into the other spring shorting it out. What is the purpose of that dual spring design? They aren't using the tube or a part of the tube as the circuit?

There's a cushion you can slip over a pencil so you get a better grip when you're writing. I'm going to give that a shot, over the center spring when I get a chance
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    Oh man... Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't that seem like kind of an inherently dangerous design? The spring can literally bend into the other spring shorting it out. What is the purpose of that dual spring design? They aren't using the tube or a part of the tube as the circuit?
    Not to flame Ace, but WOW. IMHO: That is not a design to be released to the General Public. I understand it has been tweaked but still. If you haven't already, I would dig a whole a foot or so deep and put those batteries to rest. Thanks for the post. I hope all K70 owners check their lights.

I am having COMETA flashbacks now. I got one of the defective designs. It was a easy fix, but still.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...s-to-use-What-!
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Glad you are safe rickypanecatyl and thanks for sharing.

I have the K70 and gave it a look over. My springs are centered but I will definitely watch for this.

I gave a decent effort to remove the tail cap but it wouldn't budge. I'll leave it like that and always unscrew the head.

Did yours unscrew on the tail cap end, when removing the battery carrier, before the meltdown?

Good thinking mhanlen!
    I only know what I read on the internet.

If there is one thing we all value here more than anything (but might not realize it until it's too late) it's absolutely safe designs in our flashlights and high powered batteries we use in them. Hopefully this isn't the Samsung Note 7 of flashlights.

The first light I had with springs on either end of the tube was/is the Fenix E50. That gives the benefit of spring shock absorption and easy connection. However, this DUAL spring design on the same end may not be the best idea. I'm assuming the batteries are somehow running in parallel for the high current necessary? That's gotta be partly a reason for this not-entirely-safe design.
    Last edited by martinaee; 07-19-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    There's a cushion you can slip over a pencil so you get a better grip when you're writing. I'm going to give that a shot, over the center spring when I get a chance
    good idea, pls share to us if it works well...

Quote Originally Posted by fnsooner View Post
    I have the K70 and gave it a look over. My springs are centered but I will definitely watch for this.

I gave a decent effort to remove the tail cap but it wouldn't budge. I'll leave it like that and always unscrew the head.

Did yours unscrew on the tail cap end, when removing the battery carrier, before the meltdown?

Yes it did. I bought it at a "actual store" - one of the Ace distributors here along with the 4 new batteries and we installed them in the store taking the battery tube out the tail cap.
    Actually I didn't even realize you could unscrew the battery tube from the head until Mhanlen mentioned it in his post. The battery tube to the head was screwed on pretty tight and I assumed it didn't come off and only pushed it because of Mhanlens post.

I'm guessing from some of the other posts here that perhaps Ace realized the issue and locked the tail cap in place?
    I'm still a bit concerned that because the inner spring is so close to the outer spring AND so long they could still touch. It seems like it would be alot safer if the distance between the outer spring and the inner spring was far enough apart the inner spring couldn't reach the outer spring...

Wow, good catch. Both my K60 and K70 tailcap springs were bent slightly. The K60, with a cursory inspection, appears to have the same setup as the K70. Not to the extent that the OP's were, and easy enough to bend back to straight. I had been using the tailcap on both lights to change cells. The tailcap unscrews as easily as the battery tube does ( at least they do on my lights ). When you look closely at the carrier, there is a shallow channel machined out of the aluminium which locates the larger spring, and the center pole is protected by a round black plastic ring, which is proud of the center contact. It would appear this plastic ring is designed to stop the center spring from wandering off the center contact too far ( IMVHO ). But, for whatever reason, in the OP's situation, it hadn't, judging from the amount the center spring appeared to be bent. Looks like Loctite for the tailcap and undoing at the head end of the body, is the answer ( and also, awareness of the issue ).

Hello there, this is Chris from Acebeam flashlight.

This incident cased by short-circuit of tail cap, which two springs touched together, and the reason of two springs touch togher is the springs were distorted when removing/filling the battery carrier from tail cap not from the head.

The battery carrier have no circuit inside then won't identigy huge current from short-circuit, if battery have strong PCB(Acebeam battery have 4MOSFET in PCB, such as 3100mAh 20A used for X45, L16 and X80) then will protect, or else battery will scorch like the picture showing.

So we kind reminder every acebeam fans that removing the tube from the head to change the battery and using Acebeam battery or 4MOSFET protected battery.

And we can replace the tail cap and battery carrier for rickypanecatyl

Quote Originally Posted by acebeam View Post
    Hello there, this is Chris from Acebeam flashlight.

This incident cased by short-circuit of tail cap, which two springs touched together, and the reason of two springs touch togher is the springs were distorted when removing/filling the battery carrier from tail cap not from the head.

The battery carrier have no circuit inside then won't identigy huge current from short-circuit, if battery have strong PCB(Acebeam battery have 4MOSFET in PCB, such as 3100mAh 20A used for X45, L16 and X80) then will protect, or else battery will scorch like the picture showing.

So we kind reminder every acebeam fans that removing the tube from the head to change the battery and using Acebeam battery or 4MOSFET protected battery.

And we can replace the tail cap and battery carrier for rickypanecatyl
    Will you be changing the design? This seems like a potential hazard as you can't really expect all customers to realize that very well protected cells shoud be used because the springs could easily touch in the tail-cap. I do agree that heavily protected cells should be used by most customers most of the time, but reducing the possibility of a short is top priority.

Doesn't the possibility still exist if you put the carrier in from the head end? My tn32 is also like that, as is my rev victor, deft-x, tn30, k50, k60, x40...some don't open at the tail end but the spring design is the same
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

It seems like once the springs are engaged in their channel cutouts with the body screwed tightly against the head, that there is less chance of a problem. However there's no way of checking that this is the case without taking an X-ray!!

So the only thing we can do is check that the springs are straight in the battery carrier before screwing the body tight against the head and then turning it on and off a few times to check that the current is going in the right place.

The design is definitely a concern. This is food for thought that less expensive flashlights with excellent specs may not always be the only consideration when making purchasing decisions.

Having a separate channel for each battery rather than a battery carrier may be more expensive to machine and may cost the purchaser more but will give more safety security.

I say this as an owner of the K70, also lured by a good price and excellent specs (output/throw)
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast