Review: Nitecore MT22A (Really pocketable 2xAA EDC - PC Body - XP-G2)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the MT22A from Nitecore for the review.

The MT22A is a 2xAA flashlight, with an innovative body design: instead of having the AA battery inserted one after the other, vertically, the MT22A has them side to side in the polycarbonate body; while in the head there is a XP-G2 S3 CW emitter.
The body of the MT22A is available in different coloration (I got the black one).

As you can see, the MT22A doesn't seem like a typical 2xAA light: the body is very compact. Finally a 2xAA light that you can keep in my jeans pocket, even in my shirt pocket.
Nitecore_MT22A_15.jpg

The polycarbonate body has some bumps and is rounded for better comfort
Nitecore_MT22A_01.jpg

On the back there is a blackened stainless steel clip, held in place by 2 screws. It allows somewhat of a deep carry.
Nitecore_MT22A_02.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_14.jpg

The light is controlled by the switch on the back of the body
Nitecore_MT22A_03.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_05.jpg

The XP-G2 LED in the small smooth reflector
Nitecore_MT22A_04.jpg

To open the light you need to press the metal rod on the body of the light, near the head. There is an o-ring on the head, so the light remains IPX8.
Nitecore_MT22A_06.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_07.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_08.jpg

The thick metal rod and the inside of the light.
Nitecore_MT22A_09.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_10.jpg

A couple of Eneloop PRO cells
Nitecore_MT22A_11.jpg

The MT22A has mechanical protection against polarity inversion. The head goes on the body only in one way.
Nitecore_MT22A_12.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_13.jpg

UI
Click once to turn the light on and off.
The light doesn't have memory, and turns on at high mode.
Click the switch to scroll through high-medium-low-strobe modes, in loop.
Output and runtime
Nitecore_MT22A_Output.png

Nitecore_MT22A_Runtime1.png

Nitecore_MT22A_Runtime2.png

Nitecore_MT22A_Runtime3.png

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall
Nitecore_MT22A_16.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_17.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_18.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_19.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_20.jpg

Nitecore_MT22A_21.jpg

The XP-G2 has a decent amount of throw even in a small reflector.

Thermal Test

My thoughts
The MT22A is well built and finished.
I like the simple UI, with direct access to high mode and good flat regulation.
Personally I would have preferred if the strobe mode would have been hidden.
This way of accommodating the batteries makes the light much more compact and carriable. For people who still shine away from li-ion cells, the only way of carrying a decent amount of output and runtime, is to opt for a 2xAA light.
"Conventional" 2xAA lights are usually long and hard to carry in trousers pocket. The MT22A on the other side, is much more compact. For putting things in prospective, the last 2xAA light I reviewed it's 27x155 mm, while the MT22A 21x40x81mm, almost half the length. Also, the non metallic body makes the whole light lighter.

The MT22A is a good choice if you are looking to a 2xAA with good regulation, simple UI and more "traditional" form factor compared to the "linear" 2xAA led lights we are used to. Especially for a not flashlight guy, the MT22A with the yellow body can be a really good find.
The only thing I dislike about the light is the releasing pin.
It happened once during many uses that I accidentally depressed it while holding firmly the light with my hand, opening the light. To further prevent this from happening, the metallic rod should be more protected or have a longer travel. I'd like to see the MT22A with a NW tint.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera advice, the Thermal Camera and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you Budda for your quick review.

Yes agreed with you, the strobe should have been a hidden mode instead of being in the brightness loop.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, and nice flashlight. I'm playing with the thought of getting one for myself as the design seems interesting.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I really like my (Tan) MT22A. I like both the form factor and the beam profile. To me, this light has multiple purposes.

That having been said, I would prefer "Version 2" allow for a step down mode to 150 lumens after the 260 lumens, and then to 100 lumens, before going to 45 lumens.

I'd also suggest to Nitecore (if I could!) that they also incorporate on the MT22A the dimming feature found on their Tube, if that is possible.

This is definitely a light I will try to interest others in.

Budda

Enlightened
It's been in my workbag (an old maxpedition MPB) since I reviewed it. Love this light!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

It's indeed an interesting design. But personally I would like the UI had been low-mid-high or mid-low-high and without strobe. I agree about NW tint though.

Last edited:
Reactions: wjv