Gearbest        
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Emisar D4

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Emisar D4

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    According to Carlco's website, the 10621 is almost identical to the 10622. I was actually puzzled enough I looked at the drawings for both and couldn't see what the difference is. For the example of the 219c, they rate the former as throwing 3.5 Cd/lm versus the latter at 3.3 Cd/lm. From the simulated beam cross section, it appears the 10621 reduces the spill a tiny amount.

Meanwhile, they rate the 10622 with the XP-G2 at 4.8 Cd/lm.

The medium spot, frosted 10623, to compare the floody alternative, is 1.9 Cd/lm.
    The 10621 definitely produces a tighter beam then the 10622.

Here is a thread that shows the difference...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...nt-comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    The 10621 definitely produces a tighter beam then the 10622.

Here is a thread that shows the difference...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...nt-comparisons
    Good comparison. I think it is still consistent with what Carlco claims - the 10621 has less spill, but it's not clear that it is significantly different in peak intensity. Maybe a little bit more, but the hotspot is also more even? It's hard to tell where the light from the reduced spill is showing up exactly.
    Last edited by iamlucky13; 10-31-2017 at 02:34 PM.

I just ordered a D4 with the Nichia. I originally tried to order through Mountain Electronics but wouldn't allow me without signing up first, but after a couple days it still wasn't approved so I couldn't order. I found intl-outdoor.com so ordered from them. Is this normal with Mountain, seems odd to me to have to wait for approval before being able to order, luckily there are always other options.
    Fenix HP30 Headlight...Fenix LD75C...Eagletac SX25A6...Armytek Partner A1 V2...Imalent DN12...Convoy C8, Convoy L2 XPL HI U6 4B, Nebo Redline, Nebo Redline Blast, The typical $10 3000 lumen XML-T6 Zoomy, Nebo o2 Beam...So far anyhow!

Flashaholic*

Eventually received mine from intl outdoors. Well, I am pleasantly surprized.

1. This is my first 219C light and I am very happy about the tint, I so much prefer it to a typical 219b which is too pink for my taste in most cases.
    2. This is my first quad and I found that it opened an unexpected option. I always wanted to remove optics from my triples, but a triple makes too pronounced "lobes" which I failed to smooth out with Phaseburn's a diffusion film (more capable films introduced some sorts of tint shifts). The quad's lobes are much less obvious and the film smoothes them out just fine. The result is a mule like beam profile which has some added lux. I think that this is just that perfect beam profile I have been looking for my EDC light. I carry that optics in my EDC pouch so I can easily put it back in just in case I need some real throw.
    3. D4 is *exactly* as long as my HDC rotary. That is amazing given the 18650 it has inside.

To sum up, despite some minor complaints regarding the driver in its current state and the clip, this D4 is going to be my EDC, for some time at leasts.
    Last edited by ma tumba; 11-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Emisar D4

I just found out about this light this morning. I have been looking for a nice cap light. Would this be suitable for that? Does it come with a clip and, if so, is the clip oriented the correct way for use on a baseball cap?

Flashaholic*

The stock clip is one way, so you'd need a two-way replacement. Plus my 18650 version would be way too hefty for me to comfortably wear on the beak of my cap. The 18350 version does not come with a clip

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    EThe quad's lobes are much less obvious and the film smoothes them out just fine.
    I knew about the lobes before buying, and was a bit concerned they'd be obnoxious, but in practice, I hardly notice them at all unless I rotate the light. It's rather interesting how suddenly they seem to appear like propellers if I do that, but then once I stop and look away for a moment, I stop noticing them again.

I have no idea if they can be shipped to Russia, but I've read that Mountain Electronics has a compatible MCPCB available where each solder pad is at a slightly different angle. For whatever reason, this reportedly further reduces the lobes. It is a bit thinner than the stock, however, so a thicker o-ring is supposed to be used if installed in the D4 to press the front lens and optic properly in place.

I think this is the MCPCB:
    http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index....product_id=849

You've probably already seen that some folks are trying the floodier 10623 optic in their D4's. I don't know if that would be better or about the same as your diffusion film.

Flashaholic*

Default Emisar D4

@Iamlucky13, thanks for suggesting this pcb.

I just wanted to clarify my point re the lobes. I had removed the optics altogether wanting to get a mule. In this case each of the 4 leds produced a circle of light. The lobes come from the intersections of these circles. It was this complex beam structure that I smoothed out by means of the film.

I completely agree that unless one intentionally begins to rotate the light, even those optics-free lobes are quite tolerable, that is why btw the A2 is so useable with its 3 leds.

I got the frosted optics along with the clear one but eventually preferred the flexibility of the clear+film combo
    Last edited by ma tumba; 11-21-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Ok, I see what you're saying. Interesting to know.

Default Emisar D4

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    The stock clip is one way, so you'd need a two-way replacement. Plus my 18650 version would be way too hefty for me to comfortably wear on the beak of my cap. The 18350 version does not come with a clip
    The clip can be reversed , there is a groove at the top and bottom of the battery tube so you can have it either way.
    Same for the D1.

Default Emisar D4

The reviews on MTN. Electronics may be suspect. I think the are only posting positive reviews and discarding any negative comments.
    I posted that the Quad 4 gets too hot too fast on turbo. Mtn. Electronics did not post my review.
    I do like the flashlight but, be aware, it gets hot fast. The turbo setting cannot be used for very long.

Default Emisar D4

Quote Originally Posted by boo View Post
    The reviews on MTN. Electronics may be suspect. I think the are only posting positive reviews and discarding any negative comments.
    I posted that the Quad 4 gets too hot too fast on turbo. Mtn. Electronics did not post my review.
    I do like the flashlight but, be aware, it gets hot fast. The turbo setting cannot be used for very long.
    Which version xpl hi or nichia? I know for sure nichia get hot quick and xpl hi heat much slower and donít get as hot.
    Last edited by Cobraman502; 11-27-2017 at 09:35 AM.

boo, its widely known it gets hot fast, in fact i cant think of any light that gets hotter faster than the D4(certainly the 219c). Its near 4000lm, size of a ZL 600 series.................its crazy! Also for $40 its a lot of light, decent driver UI with lots of features. Decent components to boot, your getting a lot for your money! .............
    For any duration, output needs to be limited nearer 500- 600lm ish as with any or most single 18650 lights. Its a hot rod, fun hand held sun flashlight. Enjoy it for what it is, if you need 4000lm for minutes and not seconds, a jump in size to pop can is needed.

Flashaholic

Isn't there a warning on the International Outdoors website about the high heat output? Not sure about Mountain Electronics though.

I've just received my 5th D4/D1, this one is a 4000k XP-G2, fantastic tint

In my mind, a warning about the heat on this light is just as silly as a warning about the heat generated by a hand-held lighter (that is, for either one, if you use it properly, you won't get burned, and if you use it foolishly, you can hurt yourself; with the out-of-the-box Emisar D4 settings, unlike a lighter, it is very difficult to start a fire). But, Intl-outdoor says this on the product page:

"WARNING...Emisar D4 puts a high lumen output but generates a lot of heat at the same time"

Mtn-electronics doesn't have a warning on their product page. While I don't think that pain and suffering are a fair consequence for foolish usage of the lights (or any other product), I do have to admit that I get a fair bit of satisfaction when I hear of or see a rare instance when someone actually has to deal with a consequence for their uninformed action.

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    In my mind, a warning about the heat on this light is just as silly as a warning about the heat generated by a hand-held lighter (that is, for either one, if you use it properly, you won't get burned, and if you use it foolishly, you can hurt yourself; with the out-of-the-box Emisar D4 settings, unlike a lighter, it is very difficult to start a fire). But, Intl-outdoor says this on the product page:

"WARNING...Emisar D4 puts a high lumen output but generates a lot of heat at the same time"

Mtn-electronics doesn't have a warning on their product page. While I don't think that pain and suffering are a fair consequence for foolish usage of the lights (or any other product), I do have to admit that I get a fair bit of satisfaction when I hear of or see a rare instance when someone actually has to deal with a consequence for their uninformed action.
    Lol I enjoy it as well. Some people just should stick to aa or d sized lights if they are gonna cry.

Flashaholic

I think most people who buy the D4 will be fully aware of it's limitations...

Buttrock Re: Emisar D4

Lights I have: Klarus xt11 600lms, Klarus xt11GT 1600lms, Acebeam L16 (doesnít work after drop on concret) 1700lms, Zebralight SC52w 500lms (I count on this light&#128077, Sunwayman T20C 440lms, Maglite 3D Cell 145lms...

My previous EDC was the zebra, the one that has taken its place is....

EMISAR D4 219C with newer CRI rating. +93. Long story short, thislight is the best $40 I have spent in the years Iíve collected LED lights. I think Iím spoiled with Nichia leds at this point. The User interface is the most intuitive, SIMPLE STUPID Iíve seen as well.

You know it all s can jump down off your soap box now. I`m sure everyone appreciates your superior knowledge.
    I cannot post what i`m really thinking.

Boo,

it sounds to me like you have Had a negative experience with the Emisar D4. Like Ven and many other Knowledable CPF/BLF forum members have said, the light WILL get HOT if ran continuously on Turbo, especially with 219C leds. 99.9 % of the time, i use the regulated output below 150 lumens for general lighting use And seldom use the higher output to conserve battery life. MY experience may be different than yours so please chime in. Maybe your light was DOA? Something wrong with the firmware? Did you burn yourself? Please explain the deficiency your having, but donít knock the light and the perspective of others and their input on it.

If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long.
    It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.

Flashaholic*

If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long.
    It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.
    Keep in mind the light is thermally regulated so you can use Turbo as long as you want. It will step down as needed to keep the lights temperature within a safe range. You can even set the thermal threshold lower if you want the light to step down sooner/more aggressively to keep it cooler.

Apologies for any offence boo, none intended. I just presumed with the crazy output and small form factor, buyers would be aware of the heat generated(and one should never presume ).

Either way, i hope you carry on enjoying it and it grow on you more. Who knows, you may be tempted with the D1 and D1s which complement the D4 very well. Also these can handle the heat a lot better being single LED and a little larger in size(especially the D1s).

If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long. It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.
    It's billed and sold as a hot rod. The target consumer should be aware and familiar with the problems and limitations beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Apologies for any offence boo, none intended. I just presumed with the crazy output and small form factor, buyers would be aware of the heat generated(and one should never presume ).

Either way, i hope you carry on enjoying it and it grow on you more. Who knows, you may be tempted with the D1 and D1s which complement the D4 very well. Also these can handle the heat a lot better being single LED and a little larger in size(especially the D1s).
    Thanks for the kind words, Ven.

Well Iím glad you like the light boo👍 I do too and I think the Emisar D4 is in a niche market all itself. Has anyone done runtime tests of this light before it hits FET drive? Iím aware it ramps and that there is not defined preset modes. Thanks for everyoneís input.

Excuse my ignorance but, I have two questions about the Emisar lights. First, if I decided to order another light and preferred the cool or bright light, which should I choose?.
    The one I own now has a yellow/orange tint to it. I prefer cool white.
    The other question is, why are some priced $18. more than the others?.
    I own about five LED flash lights but, my knowledge is limited.
    Thanks boo
    Last edited by boo; 12-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Excuse my ignorance but, I have two questions about the Emisar lights. First, if I decided to order another light and preferred the cool or bright light, which should I choose?.
    The one I own now has a yellow/orange tint to it. I prefer cool white.
    The other question is, why are some priced $18. more than the others?.
    I own about five LED flash lights but, my knowledge is limited.
    Thanks boo
    1. Nichia 219C 5000K 90+ CRI - Neutral White

2. Cree XP-G2 S4 2B ~ 5700K - Cool White

3. Cree XP-G2 S4 3D ~5000K - Neutral White

3. Cree XP-G2 S4 5D ~4000K - Neutral / Warm White

4. Cree XP-L HI 1A ~6500K - Cool White

5. Cree XP-L HI 3A ~5000K - Neutral White

6. Cree XP-L HI 5D ~4000K - Neutral White

I bought the xpl hi 3a in neural white.

I really like the clean beam of the 219c 5000k, yes the hottest of the choices but no deal killer for me. If i need 3800lm for more than 15s i will use a larger light. Its nice to have for that little blast, but once the WOW bit has been done, i am happy with 100-200lm for general use. So personally, colour temp and CRI comes before running for a few seconds longer at max(everyone has different preferences).

The cool white boo looks quite nice(for a cool white, i am not really a cool white guy and prefer a more neutral temp). So i would look at the 5000k HI and 6500k HI, also would not rule out the 219c 5000k either.

4000k(presume you have this with you saying yellow/orange) is towards the warm side, 5000k is to my eyes still cool, but not too cool/blue. 6500k for my eyes is too cold, can wash out some colours which in some lights not a problem, but floody close up type i like 4000-5000k more(subjective and just my taste).

The HI are more expensive due to the HI emitters costing a few $ more each.............pretty much as simple as that iirc.

I like the 4000k xp-g2 at night, the little warmth is very easy on my tired eyes! If my eyes have been "contaminated" with a cooler light, it can make my brain think its warmer than it is. I think its worth while with certain colour temps, to spend some time just with that specific light and get use to the temp.

Just received the D4 (and D1) mostly just to check out the UI ... and because @ven has been raving about it for a while now

Chose the XP-L HI 5D ~4000K and, wow, what a nice tint (!)

Very very good user interface, extremely intuitive. I do wish, perhaps unsurprisingly, it had a (much) lower low

They got the ramping speed so right and so smooth.

I'm sure it has been discussed, but what is indicated by the mid-ramp blink ? Current ? Output ? Switch over to FET ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 12-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast