SunwayLED        
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314

Thread: Emisar D4

Default Re: Emisar D4

Boo, if you have not tried a D1 out yet, would look at one of those to complement your D4. Of course the same UI(if you like it win win), xpl HI in 4000/5000 and 6500k flavours. I find it a pretty useful beam for a thrower, decent usable spill and a nice moderate throw beam. Just a thought...............

Was the D1 available in the same emitters as the D4 ?

When I purchased, the warmest option for the D1 was XP-L HI V2 3A (a frosty white tint, and too cool for my preference)
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Was the D1 available in the same emitters as the D4 ?

When I purchased, the warmest option for the D1 was XP-L HI V2 3A (a frosty white tint, and too cool for my preference)
    Kind of , the D1 has the single xpl HI 4000k(now available on the D4), 5000k and 6500k. As i am sure your aware, the 4000k xpl HI is super nice!

I have the 5000k D1 as the options were only the said and 6500k. Since then Hank has added 4000k to the options. I also have the D1vn which is the sst40 6500k, very cool(more a pure white), but an awesome high output beam. I am sure it just pips the xpl HI in throw, but bumps the lumens from around 1300 to 2300.................very noticable in the larger hot spot and brighter spill. Would be awesome for a 4000 and 5000k sst40..............

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Just received the D4 (and D1) mostly just to check out the UI ... and because @ven has been raving about it for a while now

Chose the XP-L HI 5D ~4000K and, wow, what a nice tint (!)

Very very good user interface, extremely intuitive. I do wish, perhaps unsurprisingly, it had a (much) lower low

They got the ramping speed so right and so smooth.

I'm sure it has been discussed, but what is indicated by the mid-ramp blink ? Current ? Output ? Switch over to FET ?
    It blinks in 3 spots. One is turn on to let you know it is at the top of the regulated output. If you ramp up it will blink again when it gets to full FET output and if you ramp down you will go past full regulated and get a blink(same blink point as before) and ramp down more you will get another blink to let you know it is at minimum. You can see the blink points in the UI flowchart. Top, middle and bottom

What drive current at the mid-ramp blink ?

It maxes at 350ma at full regulation. Afterwards it is FET+single 7135 then finally on max it is FET only which would mean the emitters+cell would determine the drive current.
    Last edited by staticx57; 12-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks static

+1
    What i do find useful archimedes, is the lock out, lock in(so undo tail cap a couple of mm, then lock cap up again, 2 blinks ) , the 350ma level(roughly equivalent to 140lm + or - ) is a good do it all level. In work, it is a nice level that is regulated, no heat issue, just enough light to be usable in pretty much most applications(for me as i know many like super low lows). At home i find a nice level also, granted its not ideal for a middle of the night level.............too bright. But that is no problem either, just press hold to get to min level which can be memorised prior to any potential middle of the night requirements.

Glad your enjoying the light, IMO it has to be a contender(if there was one) for the flashlight of 2017! Bang for buck, UI, form and flexibility..............this light has it all. May not be the best at everything, but it is certainly good at most

I just received my D4, xpl Hi v2 3a. I am really pleased with the D4. What a pocket rocket so much fun to play around with.

Speaking of using the "tail cap lockout" to set output to 350mA, I don't end up using the tail cap at all, but loosen and tighten at the head, one handed.
    It's easy and the light stays in ready to use position.
    Also I've got some bicycle inner tube over the tail cap to make it feasible to grip with my teeth.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    Speaking of using the "tail cap lockout" to set output to 350mA, I don't end up using the tail cap at all, but loosen and tighten at the head, one handed.
    It's easy and the light stays in ready to use position.
    Also I've got some bicycle inner tube over the tail cap to make it feasible to grip with my teeth.
    My goodness! You must be EXTREMELY flexible to be able to get you light out of your pocket with your teeth!
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    My goodness! You must be EXTREMELY flexible to be able to get you light out of your pocket with your teeth!
    Bahahahaha, thatís what I was trying to visualize.

lol,
    I also put two layers of inner tube on the bezel end to minimize damage from drops.

I'm hoping Int'nl Outdoors will come out with an over moulded "indestructible" version, there's plenty of space on the D1 and D4 for shock absorbers and heat dissipation both.
    Last edited by eh4; 12-09-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Enlightened

I've had my D4 for a good 3 weeks now. It along with the BLF Q8 and a DS1 I picked up are all tied in my book as "best new flashlights of 2017". The D4, especially with the optional 18350 battery tube, is quite impressive - will easily put a grin on the face of even the most jaded flashoholic here when it's double clicked into turbo mode outside at night. :-) It pretty much redefines the "pocket rocket" genre of flashlights. Also love the UI, especially the ramping capability which is shared by all three. I picked up the DS1 as well since I was so impressed with the D4. Between the D4's flood, the DS1's throw and the Q8's workhorse nature, if you only owned these three lights, you'd have pretty much have all of your practical needs covered. Quite impressed with these newcomers.
    Last edited by Johnno; 12-09-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    --Johnno

I just noticed a minor change has been added to International Outdoor's description. I'm not sure when, but it wasn't there a few weeks ago:
    "Noctigon 4XP V2 used for better beam pattern."

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-4xp-v2-4p-quad-led-copper-mcpcb-2-pcs-p-914.html

This has the solder pads all at a slight angle to each other like the Mountain Electronics version, which is supposed to reduce the slightly pinwheel effect the quad emitters create.

Thats cool iamlucky, yes been quite a few swapping their boards over to reduce the square beam pattern. However, i may be in the minority here, for me its only noticeable close to a wall...............i mean come on! In use for me anyway its just unnoticeable. If your a white wall hunter then worth while, for me i would just rather use the damn thing . I can see where it would annoy, especially for some who know its there...................i have a little OCD at times so can understand.............plus its an excuse to mod and add their personal touch. A nice beam is very important for me, but it has to be nice in use. I can see all kinds of fugly close up, pretty much most triples/quads close up show crazy patterns.

Still its a positive, Hank has obviously took note(maybe he also does not want customers messing too much as well). So little tweaks towards perfection is only a good thing imho.

I don't notice it in use, either. If I shine it at a wall and spin the light, it jumps out at me really obviously, but once I stop, if I look away and look back, it's like the lobes of the beam disappear.

It's great that little improvements like this are being made, though. An MCPCB swap is something I might consider if I ever do follow through on re-flashing the driver. The UI is enough better than I was expecting that I haven't bothered yet.

Unenlightened

Does the D4 work with Panasonic protected NCR18650B?

The only way up on this driver UI is full Narsil

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Does the D4 work with Panasonic protected NCR18650B?

No, you need high drain flat top. Sony vtc5a or vtc6 , Samsung 30Q for examples.

Protected will not fit as too long, even if they did fit they would trip once you ramped up high. The load is too great for a PCB(iirc over 20a some have measured).

Man this light is so addicting. I ordered another one lol

Quote Originally Posted by ank View Post
    Seriously, everyone needs at least two. After all, we have two hands! Plus, since it's so fun to ramp up, we deplete the battery fast. Therefore, what better spare battery holder than another D4?

Quote Originally Posted by ank View Post

So you will only have 2? ....................

I thought i curbed D4 fever with just 3, 2x D1's........

Other D1, not got a pic together as some in work

I still need a green, maybe xpl HI 4000k next as its a fav LED/colour temp and tint! Stunning, i have the xpl HI 4000k triple in the PrinceCvn and i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    I still need a green, maybe xpl HI 4000k next as its a fav LED/colour temp and tint! Stunning, i have the xpl HI 4000k triple in the PrinceCvn and i love it!
    What shade of green? Something like the one on the right?
    http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/...omment-1234927

Tbh, they are(dare i say it) too girly looking for me I much prefer plain ti or stainless with the copper. I really could not be bothered trying to explain every time i pulled it out and got laughed at in work Nice looking, but no......................ti or stainless YES YES YES!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314