NEXTORCH        
Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Emisar D4

Default Emisar D4

No official info yet but this is what I found on a Chinese flashlight forum, apparently they are doing a beta test and only a handful of these are sold through private channel.

Basically this light is designed just like M43, with "extreme" in mind. This thing is insanely overdriven, 4 Nichia 219C = 3000+ lumens on a single 18650

But yeah, we all know the turbo mode isn't exactly practical. That said, no one is buying a Noctigon light for months of runtime eh? we have Zebralight for that.

Size:

Length: 93.8mm

Weight: 66.8g

18500 and 18350 battery tubes available.

Update: Noctigon's owner sends me the manual for the D4. It's in Chinese so my translation might not be entirely correct. It looks like the light will have the Emisar branding instead of Noctigon but they still call it "Meteor" in Chinese forums anyway.

Manual:

LED flashes twice when tail cap screwed on with unprotected battery in.

When in infinite brightness adjustment mode, LED flashes once to indicate firefly, low and turbo.

Press & hold for over half a second for firefly

A single click goes to low (110lm by default, I assume this is for the XP-G2 variant?) or memorised mode

Double click for turbo (double click goes to turbo in every circumstances, with lockout being an exception)

Press & hold to enter infinite brightness adjustment. release & hold to decrease brightness (I see TK saying this mode has a ~2 seconds memory that resets the direction but the manual I was given doesn't mention it)

Additional features (LED flashes 4 times = activated, twice = deactivated)

Voltage check: Click three times and LED flashes. Basically works the same as the Nitecore equivalent. e.g. LED flashes three times, pause then seven times means 3.7V. Press once to exit.
    Temp Check: Double click two seconds after Voltage check is on. Works the same way.

Tactical mode: 4 quick clicks to activate. Press & hold for turbo. Nothing else. 4 quick clicks to deactivate.

Lockout: 6 quick clicks to activate, 6 quick clicks to deactivate. (I still suggest a physical lockout though)

Beacon: 8 quick clicks to activate. Uses memorised brightness.

When completely cooled down, 10 quick clicks & hold the 11th click performs a tempcheck. LED continues to flash for a few seconds and goes to turbo. Press & hold to increase temp regulation value, default it 45C to a max of 70C. LED flashes to indicate the temp set.

D4 can only maintain low mode when battery voltage is at 3.2V, turbo can only be turned on for a few seconds. Low voltage protection kicks in at 2.8V and D4 stops working completely.

Below are beam shot comparisons, starring the D4 and Nitecore TM36:

Last edited by TCY; 09-08-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Default Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

How is the Noctigon branded one different from the Emisar D4 by Noctigon's Hank Wang?

Apparently a fellow BLF member has already got the light and posted a review almost two weeks ago. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55306

The new light is actually called Emisar D4 for some reason. New product line? I contacted the owner/seller/manufacturer? of Noctigon and he agreed to set one aside for me when the next batch becomes available. Impulse buy for sure, but I don't think I'll look back and regret it when it's only $35 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by maukka View Post
    How is the Noctigon branded one different from the Emisar D4 by Noctigon's Hank Wang?
    That's why I'm a bit confused as I see all these lucky Chinese owners calling it "Meteor D4" and its Taobao (sort of like a Chinese version of eBay) link says the same. Different branding? Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by maukka View Post
    Compared to the BLF review I find that the UI manual provided to me has some pretty neat improvements. Now it's Zebra-ish but with the infinite brightness control. I'll see if I have the time to translate the whole manual into English and post it here.

I have one and I love the UI on the initial release. Starts at low and it ramps...2x click to turbo. That's pretty much what i want in a light. You won't regret it...i love mine.

From the BLF review of the Emisar D4 peak output out-the-front with Nichias is approx 3700 lumens and with XPL-HI 4200 lumens.

Toykeeper is in the process of testing an improved ramping UI with feedback from people on BLF. The new UI sounds like it is the best e-switch UI I've ever heard of. Newer production models of the Emisar D4 will use this version 2 UI.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 07-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Pretty cool! I would need something to get me into a medium mode quicker though, without the ramping. A quick moonlight is nice, so it turbo, but I have a feeling the ramping and "guessing" to stop on a medium-high level would be too cumbersome. I say this without actually using it, so time will tell.

$35 at mtn electronics? I like
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Pretty cool! I would need something to get me into a medium mode quicker though, without the ramping. A quick moonlight is nice, so it turbo, but I have a feeling the ramping and "guessing" to stop on a medium-high level would be too cumbersome. I say this without actually using it, so time will tell.

Supposably the new UI that toy keeper has been working with now has mode memory of the last used brightness level. So there shouldn't be too much tweaking up and down once you find the level you like.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Supposably the new UI that toy keeper has been working with now has mode memory of the last used brightness level. So there shouldn't be too much tweaking up and down once you find the level you like.
    This could be a total winner...another light on the wish list.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by EDness View Post
    I have one and I love the UI on the initial release. Starts at low and it ramps...2x click to turbo. That's pretty much what i want in a light. You won't regret it...i love mine.
    Great to hear this. I have one in the mail.

Been a while since I bought a light but this one definitely sounds like a winner. Does the gray body match the meteor? Would be nice if the two were exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by mattodio View Post
    Been a while since I bought a light but this one definitely sounds like a winner. Does the gray body match the meteor? Would be nice if the two were exactly the same
    It might be a bit darker but I can only be sure when mine arrives.

UI updated, a single click goes to the memorised mode which is a bit better eh? Anxiously waiting for mine

Price just went up to $40. Still a must have for me.

Me wantee!

Nice!

Checking my tracking number my Emisar D4 from Mountain Electronics should arrive in the mail on Friday. Also coming with it is a copper quad star with 4x high-CRI Nichia 219C. I plan to swap the stock emitters with these high-CRI ones. Richard's quad stars have the emitters all rotated at different angles instead of parallel. This should eliminate any issues with square beam pattern caused by having all emitters mounted parallel to eachother.

Hopefully my D4 will arrive with Toykeeper's superior version2 UI.

If all goes well, this weekend I'll have a light with 3700 lumens of high-CRI 4000K output, the best UI available for an e-switch light, and all in a package smaller than a Zebralight SC600.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 07-26-2017 at 01:29 PM.

I was looking at the v2 UI on mtn electronics site. I like it!
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Nice!

Checking my tracking number my Emisar D4 from Mountain Electronics should arrive in the mail on Friday. Also coming with it is a copper quad star with 4x high-CRI Nichia 219C. I plan to swap the stock emitters with these high-CRI ones. Richard's quad stars have the emitters all rotated at different angles instead of parallel. This should eliminate any issues with square beam pattern caused by having all emitters mounted parallel to eachother.

Hopefully my D4 will arrive with Toykeeper's superior version2 UI.

If all goes well, this weekend I'll have a light with 3700 lumens of high-CRI 4000K output, the best UI available for an e-switch light, and all in a package smaller than a Zebralight SC600.
    I was hoping they have a stock version of 4000K 90+CRI 219C. Is it hard to swap the LEDs for the D4?

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    I was hoping they have a stock version of 4000K 90+CRI 219C. Is it hard to swap the LEDs for the D4?
    I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out.

Since this light was designed by flashlight enthusiasts I'm hoping nothing is glued. I also don't recall any mention of glue in the review I read on BLF. I'm hoping the bezel is just screwed in and the driver is press-fit. Hopefully it will be just a simple matter of unscrewing the bezel, removing the reflector, desoldering the stock star, then replacing it with my new star.

I'll post in this thread my results.

Post in BLF said that the (prototype) driver was glued but removeable, and the LED board could be replaced by desoldering the power wires and freeing the board from the thermal paste (no glue). But, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a final production version.

I'm not sure. Guess I'll find out.

Since this light was designed by flashlight enthusiasts I'm hoping nothing is glued. I also don't recall any mention of glue in the review I read on BLF. I'm hoping the bezel is just screwed in and the driver is press-fit. Hopefully it will be just a simple matter of unscrewing the bezel, removing the reflector, desoldering the stock star, then replacing it with my new star.

I'll post in this thread my results.
    I asked Hank Wang and apparently they don't have any 4000K 90CRI 291C to stuff into their D4. Given that I have absolutely zero soldering skill.. looks like I'm stuck with the stock 219C.

My light has an issue. I have it on the lowest level and magically after about 5-10 seconds it either goes up to an obviously higher level or just straight to high. I even set it down thinking there is some sort of magical function I am activating by holding it. Like the light, but this is not good.

Got my black Emisar D4 today.

This was one of Richard's leftover stock from the first one. Fortunately he flashed it with the updated V2 UI before shipping. Mine's S4 2B.

Also purchased at the same time for this light:
    * Black 18350 tube
    * some of those new ultra-high capacity 1100 mAh 18350 cells
    * One of Richard's offset quad boards with high-CRI 4000K Nichia 219C on them.

Though I purchased the 18350 tube to try out, this light is small enough I'll probably just run it on 18650.

Here are my initial impressions:
    * Fit and finish - excellent. The black anodizing is flawless and everything is assembled well. Light worked perfectly out of the box. Looks and feels very high quality.

* Size - very nice. Definitely small enough for EDC. Smaller than the Nitecore Concept 1 I've been EDC'ing for the last 3 weeks. It's also considerably smaller than the Astrolux S42 and Manker E14II (with all 3 lights using 18650 tubes. Note that the comparison isn't completely fair: All 3 lights are small quad-emitter setups, but the D4 lacks onboard USB charging present in the other lights. This allows the D4 to save some space.

* "Hand feel" - OK, but could be better. This is the term I use to refer to how secure and comfortable the light feels in my hand. With the stock 18650 tube, the light is nicely sized to fit the hand and the switch and heatsink fins provide a small amount of extra grip. However, the light really needs some kind of knurling on the battery tube to get a higher rating. Smooth battery tubes may look good, but they feel slippery. Even a small amount of knurling in the right places goes a long way and this light has none except for the ribs on the tailcap. Maybe they will sell some 18650 tubes with knurling on them. A knurled tube would increase the "hand feel" rating to excellent.

* Output - Outstanding. This really is a pocket-rocket. Output at max power is tremendous... over 3500 lumens at max turbo going all the way down to a true moonlight mode (NOTE: I consider "moonlight" to be low enough that you can stare into the emitters without hurting your eyes. If it's brighter than that it's "low", but not "moonlight"). After I swap the Nichias into this one I'll buy another and put in XPL HI with 5A2 tint. XPL HI should produce more lumens and more throw than the Nichia.

* UI - EXCELLENT. Truly one of the best UIs out there. Very simple, with shortcuts to moonlight and turbo and smooth fast ramping between. The light remembers the last used mode. This is truly one of the best UIs out there. That said, it could still be improved slightly: Rather than having a single-click go to last used mode, I would prefer it to remember and go to the last ramped mode. As-is, if you use the shortcuts to moonlight or turbo they will override your memorized intermediate mode. It's not a huge issue though since ramping is so smooth and easy in this light. I would probably also add an extra click to all the multi-click shortcuts after the first two. That would free up triple-click to use as another preset mode... maybe have triple-click be 30% power or something like that.

The ramping on this light deserves special mention. It's fast, taking maybe 3-4 seconds to go from moonlight to max turbo. It is also incredibly smooth with no visible steps, and it ramps both directions. I've tried other lights with ramping and this is by far the smoothest. The only other lights I've tried that are as smooth as this are ones with infinitely variable brightness rings.

* Thermal management. As expected, the head of the light does get hot quickly at max turbo. After 10-20 seconds thermal management kicked in an gradually diminished the output. This decline occurred in gradual, but noticeable, steps. The thermal management is fully programmable in the UI, but I found that in the stock configuration it was just right. The head got quite hot, but never dangerously so. This is calibrated just how I like it, so no need to recalibrate.

* Switch - the switch button is relatively small and has ridges making it very comfortable to find and press. It is not recessed. The center of the button projects maybe 1 mm above the head of the light. When I rolled the light upside down on a table and pressed, the light turned on from the pressure of the table. The button is close enough to the head that it is almost, but not quite flush. To me this is not ideal. For hot-rodded side-switch lights I prefer to have the button recessed like on Zebralights, to minimize the chances of accidental activation. A lot of the convenience of a side-switch light is lost if lockout must be used.

I'll have to do more testing to see if I like it as-is or have to use the lockout. Even turning off the light in moonlight mode probably won't help because if it turns on in the pocket it will likely ramp to turbo and stay there.

The light does feature electronic lockout so can be locked or unlocked easily with one-handed operation. However, a better solution may be for the next version of the Emisar to use a taller switch retaining ring that projects above the surface of the head and helps shield the button.

Overall Impression: This is an outstanding light that breaks away from the pack. Truly one of the best I've tried in years. The size, output, UI, weight and choice of emitters make this light much superior to the other small quads on the market from Manker and Astrolight. I'm extremely impressed and will definitely be buying more samples of this light. This is about as close to a perfect pocket EDC that I've come across yet.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 07-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for sharing. I see intl-outdoor has ~120 units available now so @markr6 might as well grab yours now before they are gone! Hope I get my tracking number soon, paid some big bucks for DHL shipping. Can't wait

Thanks for sharing. I see intl-outdoor has ~120 units available now so @markr6 might as well grab yours now before they are gone! Hope I get my tracking number soon, paid some big bucks for DHL shipping. Can't wait
    Thanks for the tip, got mine on order! This will be a very tough "12 working days" of waiting!

Awesome info /feedback fireclaw, thanks for taking the time

Uhhh, just cost me another $40

But black or gray?? Can't decide. I think gray. In my cart and ready to go, but this is giving me pause:

Rather than having a single-click go to last used mode, I would prefer it to remember and go to the last ramped mode. As-is, if you use the shortcuts to moonlight or turbo they will override your memorized intermediate mode.
    Last edited by markr6; 07-28-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    GOOD TINT!

But black or gray?? Can't decide. I think gray. :
    I went with black...it will have to do until they come up with something darker!

11.5 very difficult "working days" to go...

Last night I did an emitter swap.

Replaced the XPG2 S42B cool white emitters with Nichia 219C 4000k 90+ CRI. The new emitters came mounted on one of Richard's new copper quad stars that has each emitter rotated at a different angle, which helps produce a more rounded beam pattern. The new star was thinner than the stock star so I built a spacer out of copper sheet to place between the star and shelf (with Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease applied to both sides)

The result:

* Light gets hotter faster. This is not a good thing since it already got hot very fast. Expect max turbo periods to be no longer than 15 seconds or so. This result is not surprising given that Nichia 219C has lower vF and pulls more amps than XPG2. Note that even at full power, the light won't self-destruct as it has a thermal sensor, which I recalibrated to be more sensitive.

* Beam is a wall of light. Lacks the throw of XPL HI, but can reach a respectable distance through sheer output.

* Beam tint and CRI are excellent. Reminds me a lot of the old high-CRI 219B, but much, MUCH, MUCH brighter (approx 3700 lumens out-the-front). By far my brightest High-CRI light.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 07-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast