EAGTAC        
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718

Thread: Emisar D4

Default Re: Emisar D4

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    How about behavior, or yoghurt? Looks more interesting so that's how some of us write it. And calling a flashlight torch?Thanks to the Brits, yeah?

Manual for the Minibeast: (page with diagram of user interfacej

https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4ti...4a18049c5e4016
    You have to admit that at the high drive levels we like to power our lights at that "torch" is a more appropriate term than the wimpy "flashlight"
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

I received the D4 ti I ordered on Dec 31st. I got the raw version XP-L Hi V3 1A 6500k and so far I am pleased. The machining and feel are perfect. I like the flat top cut knurling and the balance is nice the weight of the Ti body works nicely with the copper head.

I have compared it to my Vihn D4 that has an aluminum body and the ramping is almost exactly the same when turned on in high with freshly charged Sony VTC6A's.

I also ordered the 16340 tube and will try it out once I get a couple high output cells, probably the Efest 700 Ma unprotected, but I am open to suggestions.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmos View Post
    ...I also ordered the 16340 tube and will try it out once I get a couple high output cells, probably the Efest 700 Ma unprotected, but I am open to suggestions.
    It's not a 16340 tube. It's an 18350 tube. 18350 cells are the same width is 18650. They're slightly wider than 16340. While you could use a 16340 in the Emisar D4 with shorty tube, you're better off using an 18350 for extra power.

The good news is there is one 18350 that towers above the rest in performance. It outperforms EVERY 16340 and 18350 cell by a huge amount. That cell is the Aspire 1100 mAh 18350. It's a high-drain cell for maximum performance and its tested capacity really is 1100 mAh. It even outperforms the larger 18500 cell, and will give you performance close to that of a quality 18650.

Aspire 1100 mAh 18350s may be hard to find, but they are hands-down the best choice of cell for the D4 if you're not using full-sized 18650s.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    It's not a 16340 tube. It's an 18350 tube. 18350 cells are the same width is 18650. They're slightly wider than 16340. While you could use a 16340 in the Emisar D4 with shorty tube, you're better off using an 18350 for extra power.

The good news is there is one 18350 that towers above the rest in performance. It outperforms EVERY 16340 and 18350 cell by a huge amount. That cell is the Aspire 1100 mAh 18350. It's a high-drain cell for maximum performance and its tested capacity really is 1100 mAh. It even outperforms the larger 18500 cell, and will give you performance close to that of a quality 18650.

Aspire 1100 mAh 18350s may be hard to find, but they are hands-down the best choice of cell for the D4 if you're not using full-sized 18650s.
    The KeepPower 1200mAh is readily available now too and has similar performance. Here it is...

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...-flat-top.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    The KeepPower 1200mAh is readily available now too and has similar performance. Here it is...

Thanks to both of you I did mean 18350 but I did not know about the Aspire cells so I now have four on order that have the 1100 mAh wrappers.

The KeepPower cells look good as well and I will pick up a couple to try soon.

I plan on using 18650 cells (Sony high drain) most of the time but like the idea of the ultra compact config.
    Last edited by MadAmos; 01-14-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Paul

My guess is the KeepPower are just rewrapped Aspire cells.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmos View Post
    I plan on using 18650 cells (Sony high drain) most of the time but like the idea of the ultra compact config.
    If you want the absolute brightest possible performance on a full cell use Sony VTC5A. Max output will decline quickly though and after a little bit output would be higher on a VTC6.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    If you want the absolute brightest possible performance on a full cell use Sony VTC5A. Max output will decline quickly though and after a little bit output would be higher on a VTC6.
    I have quite a few VTC6A cells that I have been using with my other D4 lights so that is not a problem. I rarely use them at the highest setting just an occasional quick burst but I enjoy the ramping UI and the reliable access to the lowest setting.
    Paul

It seems as though everyone jumped on the raw Ti... I went to order one and they are out of stock :/ I hope they get restocked soon!

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK.
    Do you know if illumn ships to the UK?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

My Emisar D4 Ti arrived but the extra 18350 tube that I ordered didn't. I've asked it to be sent on.

I like the light and it seems excellent value for money. Its my first Emisar of any kind.

I can't expect it to have the same feel as a custom light but the threads of the tailcap do appear to be quite gritty. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK.
    No problem👍.

I am not sure but they are really nice guys so, just shoot them an email and I am sure they will get right back to you.

Flashaholic

Not sure about the UK specifically but i do know they ship internationally as im in Canada and received an order from them just yesterday. They were even nice enough to forget to put the full amount on the customs declaration so i did not owe duty on the order. I have always had fantastic service from illumn. Would recommend them.

I like the light and it seems excellent value for money. Its my first Emisar of any kind.

I can't expect it to have the same feel as a custom light but the threads of the tailcap do appear to be quite gritty. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?
    Although I don't (yet) have an Emisar in Ti, I have had many different titanium flashlights, both custom and production.

Although there are exceptions, generally the threads on the customs are rather smoother than those compared with the mass production items, and usually substantially so.

The issue is that Ti is prone to galling, and any minor imperfections (variances, tolerances, etc) in the threading will tend to "grab"

Appropriate lubrication will help, sometimes quite a bit, and normal wear does tend to "break in" the threads (at the expense of microscopic material loss, associated thread wear, and in extreme cases thread sloppiness)

I think that is mostly what discolors the lubricants as they darken ... more metal particles than actual "dirt" in many cases.

In any case, I find that the Krytox tends to darken more slowly after the first few changes
    Last edited by archimedes; Yesterday at 02:05 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Although I don't (yet) have an Emisar in Ti, I have had many different titanium flashlights, both custom and production.

Although there are exceptions, generally the threads on the customs are rather smoother than those compared with the mass production items, and usually substantially so.

The issue is that Ti is prone to galling, and any minor imperfections (variances, tolerances, etc) in the threading will tend to "grab"

Appropriate lubrication will help, sometimes quite a bit, and normal wear does tend to "break in" the threads (at the expense of microscopic material loss, associated thread wear, and in extreme cases thread sloppiness)

I think that is mostly what discolors the lubricants as they darken ... more metal particles than actual "dirt" in many cases.

In any case, I find that the Krytox tends to darken more slowly after the first few changes
    Thanks archimedes. Yes, I have heard galling mentioned many times when it comes to Ti threads, yet the custom makers seem to excel at particularly smooth threads even in Ti. I guess that's why you'd pay at least five times as much if this were a custom light! Anyway I can live with it. It is a fairly minor issue for an otherwise very impressive light and, as you say, they may smooth out with time.

No problem👍.

I am not sure but they are really nice guys so, just shoot them an email and I am sure they will get right back to you.
    Thanks.

How do you find the weight balance to be on the D4 Ti ?

There had been some concern about possible awkwardness due to the heavy copper heatsink sitting towards the front ....

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    How do you find the weight balance to be on the D4 Ti ?

There had been some concern about possible awkwardness due to the heavy copper heatsink sitting towards the front ....
    The weight distribution is more towards the head but not to the point of causing any awkwardness for me. Its a beefy light altogether and the 18650 creates some weight as a counterbalance in the battery tube. Tailstanding is very secure and it doesn't feel like its remotely likely to topple over.

That sounds very nice, I appreciate your detailed description

+1, easilyled. The balance was my one concern before ordering. I'm greatly enjoying the aluminum version, just wish it had a nice solid bezel down pocketclip...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718