Acebeam        
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Emisar D4

Thinking Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    So, this is like a fiery little brother of Meteor. Any news about the big brother that was supposed to be released more than half a year ago? I wonder if the challenges turned out to be too difficult to solve and project got cancelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    As far as I know, M44 (13500lm) project aborted, in real world usage with the naked eye at ~5000 lumens increase output is insignificant. not worth for the time & money.
    M4hi project retains, 8000lm, 1,1000,000 CD, not sure it will change in the future.
    I recalled that the target was a lot more than 10000lm and more than 1000000cd and when announced some 9-10 moths ago, Hank was afraid that it couldn't be released before Christmas (2016).

So... He had 2 projects? And the thrower project is still alive?
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

Default Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

Vinh has ordered a D4 as a testing sample. I'll definitely grab a D4vn if that ever becomes a thing

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    Vinh has ordered a D4 as a testing sample. I'll definitely grab a D4vn if that ever becomes a thing
    That will be very interesting...the stock D4 already has a great driver, high output, and a bunch of LED choices. He might be able to slightly improve heat sinking and give another few LED choices, and pot the driver, but his considerable skill and creativity might result in only a marginal improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    That will be very interesting...the stock D4 already has a great driver, high output, and a bunch of LED choices. He might be able to slightly improve heat sinking and give another few LED choices, and pot the driver, but his considerable skill and creativity might result in only a marginal improvement.
    Output and driver wise I'm happy with the stock one, I just hope Vinh would offer a R9050 4000K 219c flavour so I can grab one without having to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder for just one light.

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    Improving the heatsinking might prove difficult. The light already comes with a 4.5 mm thick shelf under the star. I'm not sure how much room is between the shelf and the driver though. Perhaps there is enough room for small slug. If Vinh wants to improve this light my suggestions would be:
    * new LED choices including high-CRI 219C
    * Firmware tweeks. Perhaps add some more presets, such as triple-click to 40% or something like that. In stock form, the UI is outstanding. However, it is also open-source.... meaning it's quite tweekable.
    * Replace stock star with Richard's offset star. In the stock star, All the LEDs are mounted at the same angle. This creates a square-shaped corona with some LEDs. Richard of Mountain Electronics sells a compatible quad star in which each emitter is rotated 11.5 degrees with all emitters at different angles. His star completely eliminates the square corona and gives a smooth circular beam pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    * Replace stock star with Richard's offset star. In the stock star, All the LEDs are mounted at the same angle. This creates a square-shaped corona with some LEDs. Richard of Mountain Electronics sells a compatible quad star in which each emitter is rotated 11.5 degrees with all emitters at different angles. His star completely eliminates the square corona and gives a smooth circular beam pattern.
    Doable, but Richard's mcpcb is thinner than the stock noctigon board, so you'd need a spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I agreed above comments! The Feature-rich Driver/UI make D4 really shine. Infinite brightness ramp works better & easier than any Magnetic ring, 100% of the 7135 regulator & Tactical momentary are also very useful. I love the green one
    What clip are you using in this photo?

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Doable, but Richard's mcpcb is thinner than the stock noctigon board, so you'd need a spacer.
    Agreed. But making a spacer out of sheet copper isn't hard. I've already done it with three D4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    I recalled that the target was a lot more than 10000lm and more than 1000000cd and when announced some 9-10 moths ago, Hank was afraid that it couldn't be released before Christmas (2016).

So... He had 2 projects? And the thrower project is still alive?
    I think we talk the same project, all the information just estimate/evaluate # on the paper. I read it from Chinese Noctigon Meteor discuss group.
    Quote Originally Posted by yarney05 View Post
    What clip are you using in this photo?
    Sorry, I have no ideal. I have a whole lot of flashlight parts in the drawer, I can't remember what & where this pocket clip came from???

Little. Yellow. Different.

Whoops, wrong thread. This is more like it.
    Click Here to view my lights

@moshow9 - you are quick to lego it... nice combo.

Got my green xpl-hi 6500k today. This thing got toasty really fast but the light it emits on turbo is astounding. Mine have memory mode which is a plus. It outshine my Zebralight S6330 which is my brightest light but not anymore. Love it.
    Pick the pooch!

I recommended the D4 to a friend of mine who happens to be a flashaholic too. He looks at those photos on intl-outdoor and says: "Geez that thread is bad, I'm gonna pass."

He is so going to regret that decision.

Today was a good day....not only did I get another sportac triple nichia in the post, a ZL sc63w but a D4 219c as well. What can I say, luckily I had a vtc6 at hand in work to try out the D4. Nice perfect white beam, perfect smooth ramping up/down. Hot.......wow crazy hot in maybe 15s or so to step down/ramp down to manage the heat. Amazing how hot and how fast it controlled the heat. The firmware is special for sure . The light itself is very nice , nice ano/design but slippy feel due to the lack of knurling. Flip side it feels smooth/nice in hand and hard to put down.

Optics are perfect clear, body/ano of a high quality that makes the price of his light a must have. Will post a few pics later as my phone and photobucket have fell out ......

Congrats on the perfect tint. My D4 goes a bit blue/purplish when going past the 100% 7135 point, but everything else I'm very happy about. Definitely a must have for flashaholics.

Thank you TCY, been playing around with it in work, my vtc6 cell when popped on the charger showed 3.6v....................did not take long!

That's unfair Ven... you gotta play 2. Oh well, 2 is one, 1 is none haha. How's the heat at max?

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    That's unfair Ven... you gotta play 2. Oh well, 2 is one, 1 is none haha. How's the heat at max?
    Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are differences in the xpl HI/xp-g2 and 219c...............219c running the hottest the quickest. Maybe 15s +or - 5s depending on if your indoor or out on a cool night. However it manages heat amazingly, never experienced such trick firmware to control the crazy heat. After 15s-20s or so, steps/ramps down a bit, still toasty so it steps down again and ramps back some more. I witnessed around 4 or 5 step downs/ramps within a minute or so. What i could only presume with no meter, anywhere between 300 and 600lm ish(pure guess here). Any small light will have to step down from say 1000lm................just has to as it will get too hot. This manages the heat spot on. What i like with the UI is simply press hold for moon, keep hold and it will ramp from less than 1lm to 3800lm in 2.5s............smooooooothly.

I will be getting another 1 or 2 for sure, just wanted to make sure the light was worth it and shipping was fine. If you want a light similar in size to the compact ZL's, but with 4x the output....................can be used for EDC and/or just fun! Its a must for $40, in honesty, if it was $80 i would say the same.

If heat is a big issue, then xp-g2 maybe a better option with 30s of run time Me , i dont care about 15s or 30s, i care about colour temp/tint first. So the 219c was my 1st choice, simple as that.

In other words Dave, if your considering................just get one, you wont regret it.

I must get this light. XPG2 4000K to Match my meteor Sounds good, though i may try nichia one more time (i wasnt sold on the last one) Decisions decisions...
    Torchaholic

Quote Originally Posted by torchsarecool View Post
    I must get this light. XPG2 4000K to Match my meteor Sounds good, though i may try nichia one more time (i wasnt sold on the last one) Decisions decisions...

You must the xpl HI should be a nice choice to, tbh i dont think you could go wrong with any of them............Turbo is short lived in seconds, so just pick your favourite flavor as you will see more 1000lm and less than above generally(unless your flashlight use is 15s blasts).

Ven, or anyone else, which version would be the least amount of heat generated? Xpl hi?

Xpl is lowest heat, then XPG2, then 219c
    Torchaholic

Quote Originally Posted by drummer132132 View Post
    Ven, or anyone else, which version would be the least amount of heat generated? Xpl hi?

I think its pretty close, but the xp-g2 may run the coolest out of the 3. tbh it may be just me, but buying over the coolest is pointless. Which ever you get, it is going to get super toasty fast and i bet only 10-20s separates them all. None will get near a minute afaik on turbo, sure 30s is about the max time at full output. Hence why i went 219c 1st, however the 4000k xpg2 will be very nice for that warmer tone...........xpl HI 5000k would be nice to.

xpl HI it is then, just thought at 4000+ lumens it would be hotter than the xp-g2.
    So xpl HI, xp-g2 then 219c hot to ...............erm hotter

Probably go with xpl hi version at some point. Thank you both for the info.

The D4's official taobao store says that 219C>XP-L HI>XP-G2 in terms of heat. BLF's discusstion thread yields the same conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    The D4's official taobao store says that 219C>XP-L HI>XP-G2 in terms of heat. BLF's discusstion thread yields the same conclusion
    Yes, xpg2 running the "coolest". Or Ummmmmm least hot...

Oh ok....i found different info on blf suggesting otherwise. At first id have thought XPG2 was coolest to so ill go along with that. Either way its a hand warmer.
    Torchaholic

Up stairs i was(as you do playing around) counted 12s before the 1st step down this time...........OUCH toasty! then watched it step/ramp down a few more times. This light is the hot rod of all hot rods! Put the m43vn(11k lumnes) to shame in the heat stakes........
    Not knowing what actual lumens it settled on, i got out a few lights to roughly compare brightness. I would hazard a guess around 300lm or so as it was noticeably brighter than my sportac 219c on 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Up stairs i was(as you do playing around) counted 12s before the 1st step down this time...........OUCH toasty! then watched it step/ramp down a few more times. This light is the hot rod of all hot rods! Put the m43vn(11k lumnes) to shame in the heat stakes........
    Not knowing what actual lumens it settled on, i got out a few lights to roughly compare brightness. I would hazard a guess around 300lm or so as it was noticeably brighter than my sportac 219c on 20%.
    Stepdown
    The step down is very aggressive. This is good for protecting you from heat, but perhaps a bit too aggressive when it comes to how low it goes. One reviewer on BLF tested it and after 30 seconds on VTC6 it had stepped down to something like 300 lumens, but on an Aspire 18350 it had only stepped down to 1400 lumens. Basically the extra heat from the 18650 caused the temp sensor to kick in faster and overdo it.

On the upside, due to the ramping it's very easy to ramp back up if the temp sensor brought output down too far. My guess is the light can probably do 1500 lumens sustained for an extended period of time if you handhold it, and perhaps do not start at max turbo.

Slippery grip
    Do you carry this light in a pocket, but hate the lack of knurling? ... simple solution is to add something to improve the grip. I installed Talon Grip Tape from Amazon on mine. Adds very little bulk and turns a slippery light into my grippiest. Feels great in the hand too. I highly recommend it for this light.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 08-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast