Looking for a recommendation for a larger (relatively speaking) flashlight

bvieh

Newly Enlightened
Recently getting obsessed with Flashlights. Have a surefire and a few of the smaller Olights.

I am looking for something larger to have for around the house or in a backpack. I am at the beginning of the beginning of doing any research. It seems (and that might just be my ignorance) that most of the attention goes to the smaller lights.

I am a blank canvas with no preferences and happy to research like mad any suggestions anyone has.

This would be for in house use primarily and occasional camping. Really very open on price with quality and reliability being the main things.

This is a general and probably boring question I am asking so I do appreciate any guidance. Thanks. Great community here - enjoying browsing quite a bit.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome @bvieh !

You thread has been moved to the "Recommend" subforum.

Please copy-paste your answers to the questions from the "sticky" checklist above.

Anything you are unsure about, you can leave blank (or select multiple options, if appropriate)

I realize you are "just beginning" your search and this is a very open-ended question ... but there are literally thousands or more possible choices, and you will get much better information and advice if you use that questionnaire to help us help you ;)

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you referencing 'larger' as in physically larger, or as in higher output. There are many lights that while physically small, have an output more than sufficient for around the house and near field (under 50 meters) usage outdoors. To reach out much beyond that distance requires either a lot of light output, or a different design of the light, either of which can be at odds with the household use. There are a few lights that would probably fulfill both functions. One that comes to mind is the Nitecore TM06S. It is a four 18650 light of the pop can style, designed to throw several hundred meters on Turbo, yet with a very wide and generous spill to light up the immediate area. "Wall of Light" is a term used to describe its output. A similar light would be the Olight Mini Intimidator II.

As far as backpack use, if your backpack has MOLLE straps, the holster for the TM06S is designed to be able to fasten to those, thus keeping it outside of the backpack and more readily available. I don't know if the Olight comes with a holster, or if it would be capable of MOLLE attachment.

Keitho

Enlightened
To me, "around the house" (indoors) means flooder, not much hotspot. Same with "occasional camping". Out of the thousands of options for an impressive "step up" flooder, I might narrow down your search to 3x and 4x 18650 pop can lights with optics (vs reflector) and high CRI light. If you start with a Nichia version of the noctigon M43, all your current and future lights will be compared to that little beauty's size, light quality, output, UI, and build quality. And, you can swap out carlco optics after you get it (or make it a mule, or add a diffuser), to play some more with different beams and inform your next purchase. You'll get recommendations all over the map, so have fun researching!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff XML Hound Dog with the MD4 body might be worth your consideration. Available in cool white or neutral (I prefer the neutral). You can use two 18650 li-ions or 4 CR123 primaries giving you some battery flexibility. Simple high /low with a bezel twist and a nice utilitarian beam providing flood and throw. If quality and reliability are your focus Malkoff is the place to look.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff XML Hound Dog with the MD4 body might be worth your consideration. Available in cool white or neutral (I prefer the neutral). You can use two 18650 li-ions or 4 CR123 primaries giving you some battery flexibility. Simple high /low with a bezel twist and a nice utilitarian beam providing flood and throw. If quality and reliability are your focus Malkoff is the place to look.

Just finished a short night hike with my Malkoff XML Hound Dog with MD4. What a rush! Malkoff is legendary around here for build quality and customer service. The Hound Dog is a versatile light that I'd recommend to anyone, but I'd say it's more useful outside than indoors. I would also suggest looking at the Malkoff Wildcat, a flood light available in high CRI. I sold a lot of stuff so I could afford to buy these two lights. Very happy I did!