22650 vs 18650 question

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. Just bought a new Feiyu-Tech G5 Gimbal and will be taking it on a 3 week backpacking / trail running adventure through the Sierras in a month or so.

Feiyu-Tech-G5-3-Axis-Waterproof-Brushless-Handheld-Gimbal-390026-.jpg

It comes with a 3,000mah, 3.7v 22650 battery which fits in the lower portion of the handle
2017-New-Arrival-font-b-22650-b-font-3000mah-3-7V-font-b-Battery-b-font.jpg

Since I'm fully 18650 equipped (solar charging, etc), is there any good reason I can't build (or buy ??) a sleeve that would allow me to simply drop in one of my NCR18650Bs? The power drain is pretty darn low (6-8 hours) so no special requirements there and according to the ratings I certainly wouldn't be losing any capacity.

Thoughts?

Thanks
JB

ven

Flashaholic
Correct JB, both are 3.7v nominal and 4.2v fully charged. The difference is as said ,in the diameter /capacity.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can forego the pipe and just get some stiff construction paper from Target and fashion your own tubes. You can add more paper to make things the correct dimension.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You basically have to add 2mm all around to the 18650. Worst case use a wide roll of masking tape, preferably the blue stuff that removes easily. Just make sure that you don't make it so tight that it will be hard to get the cell back out again. You might want to put a loop of thread across the positive end of the cell (not over the button!) before wrapping it. That way if for some reason the cell becomes difficult to remove, you can pull on the string to assist you.

terjee

Enlightened
Keep temperature in mind. Sounds like the drain is low enough that temperature rise in the battery might not be much of an issue, but if the total temperature (ambient + hand warming etc) is high enough, tape-glue could become quite... non-ideal. ;-)
I'd go with PVC, 3D-printed or purpose-made if possible.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep temperature in mind. Sounds like the drain is low enough that temperature rise in the battery might not be much of an issue, but if the total temperature (ambient + hand warming etc) is high enough, tape-glue could become quite... non-ideal. ;-)
I'd go with PVC, 3D-printed or purpose-made if possible.
Keep in mind that if you go with something like thick paper or oak tag, you don't have to go completely around the cell. As long as your spacer extends over about 3/4 of the circumference it should keep the cell from wiggling just fine. And it doesn't have to extend the whole length of the cell either. Myself, I would make it about half as long as the cell, wrapped around the mid point of the length.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Ended up just boring out a piece of CPVC with a 3/4" Unibit. Works great. I would likely remove most of the middle of the tube for heat reasons (leaving two thin connecting strips between two rings) if I only had an heat issues with this application. I don't so I probably won't.

Thanks for the suggestions.
JB

20503885_10213608450470466_2138105470_n.jpg