Lumens and runtime

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I've been seeing this trend when looking to buy a flashlight, I get this
low 50mA - mid 200mA - high 1700mA - turbo 5000mA
It's powered by a pair of 26650's and turbo is 3600 lms
Is there a way to convert this crap In to lms and run time for each mod??

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you know the emitter used, you can check the LED manufacturer's datasheet or look for graphs from reviewers of output at different currents for that particular LED. Subtract maybe 20-30% from the listed number in the graph to get a very rough idea of what to expect for actual output. This covers inefficiencies in the driver, absorption by the lens and reflector, etc.

If you want a more accurate result, the only way to tell is to buy the light and measure it using an integrating sphere.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to look at the graphs.
Rough and dirty...
5000ma / 3600Lm = 1.39

1700ma /1.39 = 1223Lm

and so on...

Not accurate, but it will give you a clue.
P

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this isn't probably your answer. But hope it helps guide you a little.
Keep in mind run times also depend on the cells true capacity. Also, make sure you use quality cells.
Each Mode runtime will vary depending on the design of the electronics & light. It is gonna be hard for most lights to shed the heat from 3600 lumen if left to run for a long period. So I would be willing to guess they one you are looking at has a Timer or Thermal protection. Something like 30 seconds.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I know this isn't probably your answer. But hope it helps guide you a little.
Keep in mind run times also depend on the cells true capacity. Also, make sure you use quality cells.
Each Mode runtime will vary depending on the design of the electronics & light. It is gonna be hard for most lights to shed the heat from 3600 lumen if left to run for a long period. So I would be willing to guess they one you are looking at has a Timer or Thermal protection. Something like 30 seconds.

With high power lights, estimate 8-12% heat innefficiency

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a Convoy L6.

I guess Convoy don't test the output of their lights. They seem to just list what their driver should be pushing to the LED. I figure that's just one of the tradeoffs that goes with getting such a capable light for the very modest price it sells at.