Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Just need a descent IMR 18650 charger

Default Just need a descent IMR 18650 charger

I just purchased a rather expensive toy and it uses 4 Acebeam high-drain (20A) 3,100mAh protected lithium-ion rechargeable batteries and i have no clue about a charger. I have been reading all the reviews on here and i have just confused myself back to my original nitecore charger choice. I only have those 4 batteries to work with so i don't need a high dollar charger just one that others are happy with using. 1 or 2 simple recommendations if possible would be greatly appreciated.

Enlightened

Default Re: Just need a descent IMR 18650 charger

Take a look at HKJ's index.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ighlight=index

Click on 4 bay chargers then eliminate the ones that don't do LiIon chemistry as well as minimum 1A per slot. What you have left are your options.

best in its price class is the Lii-500. you can't go wrong w/ this one. there are others w/ more bells/whistles but the added features are just too gimmicky

btw the title suggests that you've been led to believe that "IMR" cells require a special charger. not true

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    best in its price class is the Lii-500. you can't go wrong w/ this one. there are others w/ more bells/whistles but the added features are just too gimmicky

btw the title suggests that you've been led to believe that "IMR" cells require a special charger. not true
    I was just trying to add as much information as my limited knowledge will allow. I am seeking exactly what you provided to help narrow my research. Thank you.

Enlightened

+1 for the Liitokala Lii-500. Best value for the dollar from what I've seen.

The new Nitecore SC4 charger sounds like it would be ideal for IMR cells, since it can do up to 2A charging current.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Flashaholic*

I've ordered the SC4, because I use cells that can be charged that fast. Not all batteries can or should however. The charger can be set to a reduced amperage, but I'm assuming that requires multiple button presses.

Not at all arguing against it, just measure the functionality against your needs.

Nitecore SC4 might be good when you need cells to charge fast and their number is > 2. Why? Because Xtar SV2 is much more better choice if you need to charge <= 2 cells.

I own a Nitecore SC4 and its obvious drawbacks:

1. Nasty hiss when there is no battery inserted or all batteries are full;
    2. Undercharging that most likely comes from high termination current (a "full" cell is 4.16V in reality);
    3. When you charge 3 or 4 cells the max charging current is 1.5A, not 3.0A.

Flashaholic*

Hiss seems to be common on Nitecore chargers. Both of my SC2s hiss, but the level varies. They get the job done if fast-charging is a specific goal, but if you want just one all-round charger, I'm would maybe consider options.

Quote Originally Posted by terjee View Post
    Hiss seems to be common on Nitecore chargers. Both of my SC2s hiss, but the level varies. They get the job done if fast-charging is a specific goal, but if you want just one all-round charger, I'm would maybe consider options.
    Nope My EDC Nitecore F1 is absolutely silent. +5 characters!!! (what a stupid requirement to make a post)

Flashaholic*

Fair point, the F1-chargers seems both good and quiet.

Mostly the SC-range that has the problem to that degree, with some D-series having issues as well.

I should perhaps have been more specific than just "common to".

That SC4 looks real good but maybe a little too much for me. I'm only charging 4 batteries every now and then. Thank you for the replys. I have looked at so many chargers in the last 2 weeks it gets a little confusing.