SunwayLED        

Thread: Old timer being a new timer

Default Old timer being a new timer

I lost my old account and cannot seem to find it, I was a member maybe 10+ years ago. I've gone through all my email addresses to no avail, so I'm guessing I got purged in a cleanup. I have old fenix lights in AA variety and /had/ my world-class 4sevens Quark 2AA until about a week ago (the old twisty head one). I went looking for a replacement and remembered CPF. I've picked up a S2R to play with some of the new rechargeables, it's quite slick. I've also got a ArmyTek 2AA inbound and will likely pickup a MT2A as well to see which one moves into my EDC.

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with the wall of light from my S2R and will likely pickup a M2R as soon as they are available.

Mind you, my old Quark filled all my needs from EDC to bedside bump in the night light. It was perfect, untwist for EDC, twist for bedside.

Default Re: Old timer being a new timer

Welcome back! :-)

Welcome. Was your old user name deadchicken too?

WOW your 47's must have satisfied the itch, walking away from CPF all that time back..............that does take some doing(self control). Lets hope we can make up for 10yrs of no flashlight spending

WB

I believe my old username was, but I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    WOW your 47's must have satisfied the itch, walking away from CPF all that time back..............that does take some doing(self control). Lets hope we can make up for 10yrs of no flashlight spending

WB
    It was literally, perfect. My fenix's 1A and 2A have ended up in cars, range bags, carry-on, given to kids, etc. The 47's was mine.

I'm really considering trying some 18650's as the tech has matured. One of my requirements historically was ease of keeping the light running in a bail-out situation. These days with USB chargers (looking at the olight magnetic clip charger) and USB out solar panels, that isn't as big of a deal as it was. It might even be that a rechargeable has more longevity if you factor in that you're putting solar chargers in your bailout gear for a variety of reasons.

The cool thing is getting to go down the search again, so even though I hate losing my trusty sidekick...times, technology, my needs change and there is a whole world of new stuff out there.
    Last edited by deadchicken; 08-13-2017 at 11:26 AM.

There is an almost endless choice these days, should be certainly something to suit. I tend to mix things up a bit and have a few different LED types along with different fuel tanks. Depending on budget(what you and your wallet can agree on.................maybe not the wife) HDS makes a tank of a light and to last a life time. Might be worth checking out some different K LED's as well. 47's tend to be cool, maybe try some 5000k even 4000k for a neutral to slightly warm beam. Easier on tired night time eyes, colours not washed out...................as said nearly endless choices.

Nichia is a popular choice for EDC type lights, 219b and 219c hi cri which make colours look great or even a little enhanced. These LED's are becoming a little more mainstream (more manufacturers are making lights with this as an option).

Away from nichia, the xpl HI 4000 and 5000k make for a nice punchy beam. I could go on for ever...........

Great news, my wife came to me tonight and said, "Is this the flashlight you've been looking for?" It was, it was hiding in one of the kids luggage from a trip to the beach. I'm very happy to have my old partner in crime back with me, put a fresh set of lithiums in to celebrate the occasion. Now, I have a S2R in hand and a MT2A and ArmyTek inbound...so I'll get to play anyways. I think I'll add a M2R when they come out or maybe a SRX9 for fun.

And now I have 2 Convoy S2+ (1xT6 4C and 1xT6 3B, one 7135x8 one 7135x6) inbound with some TIR lenses and a couple of controllers...fun, fun! When looking at the Convoy flashlights I realized I have a 10(?) year old S8 body lurking somewhere.

Too bad. Now you're hooked again. It's an addiction, an illness. You know it.