Xtar VP2 won't stop charging!

witness

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pila charger but recently got an Xtar VP2 for it's versatility. Whenever I charge my 18650s (on 1A) it takes it up to 2.0 V but the light stays red and shows it's still charging. Shouldn't the light go green and the charging stop when the battery is fully charged?

ven

Flashaholic
2v? So the cell voltage on the readout shows 2v is this correct? If so the cell is no good, would not try and charge it. When fully charged, the cell should be around 4.2v and yes it turns green when the charge cycle is complete.

witness

Newly Enlightened
Yes, 2.0V is below the range to even safely start charging (!)

Oops, sorry for the typo guys :eek:. I meant to say 4.0V but, more importantly, about 1/2 an hour after I wrote this the light on my Xtar VP2 did finally go green. I guess it just takes a while to reach that last fully charged level.
Anyway, thanks every one for taking the time to reply. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, the last part of the charge does/can take a while. The charger rate will not be at 1a coming to the end, maybe 0.3a............maybe less. So its not unusual to see 4.18 or 4.19v for a good few mins-1/2hr or so. In fact, if you remove the cell when its close to 4.2v and before its finished the cycle, measure the V after 5 mins or so(or simply put back on the charger after a few mins). You will see the voltage closer to 4.15v once settled.

witness

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the last part of the charge does/can take a while. The charger rate will not be at 1a coming to the end, maybe 0.3a............maybe less. So its not unusual to see 4.18 or 4.19v for a good few mins-1/2hr or so. In fact, if you remove the cell when its close to 4.2v and before its finished the cycle, measure the V after 5 mins or so(or simply put back on the charger after a few mins). You will see the voltage closer to 4.15v once settled.

Actually, it stayed at 4.2 for about 20 minutes or so. It did go green though, so I'm not worried.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Might also be worth mentioning that "last" ( ie, "top" ) ~ 10% charge puts the most wear on the cell ....

That's oversimplified a bit, but I usually don't mind taking mine off the charger a little early :shrug:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do realise that 18650 Li Ion cells are 3.7 volts nominal and that if they drop too low, iro 2.4 volts, they should be disposed of?
I may be stating to obvious, but you never know.
P