RMSK, Inc.        

Thread: Old cell, new kind of sorry death.

Default Old cell, new kind of sorry death.

Hi,

I found an old cell, an Energizer 2500.
    I thought nothing of it, other than put it on a break in cycle on my c9000 and see what happens.

Initial voltage around 0.5V, but once charging all looked well. After some 600 minutes into it i had to leave, voltage was around 1.42. Came back once it was 800 minutes into the cycle and the cell was hot as anything, really hot, and voltage showed a whooping 0.3V! 😀

Took it out and let it rest. Put it in for a discharge, which ended at once. 0.3V.

That cell just absolutely Died. First for me in this way.

Any thoughts as to the chemistry behind this?

Default Re: Old cell, new kind of sorry death.

Just as further info. The cell didn't trigger a high reading at first. After 800 minutes of a break in cycle it comes out at 2.25 before high. Never had a cell Die mid charge. 😊

Silver Moderator

Hello SweD,

Sounds like something may have shorted inside the cell. While this is rare, it does happen.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Apparently so. Whilst not being a Cell expert, I'm well and old enough versed in general electronics to spot a short, I thought as much. But in a cell? Like... what the heck, how did that happen?

Silver Moderator

Hello SweD,

With Ni-Cad chemistry it was caused by dendrite formation piercing the separator. It is believed something similar happens in Ni-Mh although I have never been able to find out the exact chemical reaction involved.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Thanks Tom, for your insight. 😊
    Have been here for many years and it feels reassuring to know that there are things even you don't know. 😊