Battery life, use, maintenance in flashlights (primarily)

jack0458

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I'm asking about batteries for my lights more than the lights themselves right now. Several years ago I went through a couple of years of trying a few different flashlights in different sizes, powerful differences, size, etc. After a few single AAA lights, AA lights and CR123A lights I've ended up using my Fenix LD02 (single AAA) and a Fenix PD32 (two CR123A). My wife uses a Fenix E-11. In addition to these lights which are used a lot I have two head-lamps I use.

Except for the PD32 all of these lights use AAA or AA batteries. I got a battery charger years ago that charges AAA and AA batteries. 10 slots and it doesn't matter where you put the batteries. Using the rechargable batteries is cheaper depending on who you listen to. The cashier at the Dollar Tree or the Salesman from Tenergy. :) IMO the fact that I have never NOT had the proper battery ready to go when a light fails or my grandson's toys need batteries is the most important issue.

That's just a bit about my use of batteries. I don't camp, hunt or do anything that would involve needing the best performance out in the woods more than 5 minutes from a store.

I have always heard Eneloop are the best AA or AAA batteries regarding performance. I have sever of both sizes. I also have a bunch of Tenergy batteries. For my needs they both work fine. Right now I'm getting ready to buy some and I have in mind getting one or two packs of Eneloops plus some of the less expensive Tenergy's. If the Eneloop's are longer lasting, hold up to more charges, etc. they are well worth the money. So in my situation I want Eneloops for the stuff I use when doing things requiring longer use. Sometimes I use my head lights for a significant period of time in situations where it would be inconvenient to replace them unless I had a set on me (which I usually don't).

I'd appreciate the opinions of user's with every day experience about buying more expensive batteries. When is the extra money more necessary? Also, any new brands in the last 5-7 years that are good is good info. Also about re-charging. This is actually what prompted this short novel of a post. How often should I completely dis-charge and recharge my AAA and AA batteries. My charger does that but when I first started using rechargable batteries it was in laptop computers around the late 1980's. There was a big issue battery's developing a "memory" of battery life. Batteries today didn't have that issue is what I thought now. But I just read I should fully discharge and recharge my batteries every 2-4 weeks to reduce this same or similar issue.

Any new battery knowledge from battery users is HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have much time to type a lot tonight. But, I run almost exclusively Eneloops in my lights and now just about everything they fit. I also gravitate towards the Pro series. Some folks call them XX. The main reason why I use them is they have longer run times. This means less charging for me. I have so many it's hard to keep up with what is and what isn't charged. lol

I can attest to the fact they will handle some abuse well. I have a few that I have Over-discharged (meaning I put them in some hot rod lights with multi cells that drew way too much current) to the point of getting so hot it melting the labels off! They charged right up and still going 5 years later! Pretty good if you ask me.

Oh, I suggest the C & D adapters. I run two of my 3 C mag lights with the Eneloops. As a bonus they make the light well...light (weight).

:twothumbs

EDIT: FWIW, I heard there are fakes out there. So I suggest you only buy them from a reputable/authorized dealer.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Eneloops dont need any special care, they hold charge for 5yrs being(LSD) Low Self Discharge(70% iirc or as advertised.............never tested that). So buy, charge up or use straight away, when low and need charging...........charge them. They are a little more expensive, but i have found cheaper ones tend to die on me after a year or two. Loops just keep going.

terjee

Enlightened
Some (myself included) would argue that the more expensive NiMHs are actually cheaper, and thus worth the money by default.
Runtime aside, a generic NiMH can be dead after 10-30 recharges, while I have yet to fully wear out any Eneloop. There are other good ones these days as well, but I would not buy any non-LSD NiMH at this point, unless I had a very good reason (there some, but they are rare).

The cheapest alkalines can have a much higher real cost, when you consider the damage they can do. Sometimes that just doesn't matter, when you'll use a thing once.

Speaking of, that's become one of my deciding issues when buying electronics. I'll look at a thing, and ask myself "would I put alkalines in this?". If the answer is yes, I don't buy it.

I do keep a couple of packs for emergencies, but they're not being used.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Buy the Eneloops, they'll pay for themselves in the long run.

Eneloops do not develop a "memory" and doing a discharge/recharge every two weeks is not required or recommended, you're just wearing them out.