Tough weather-proof case for 18650 batteries?

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
I'm after a tough container for 2, 3 or 4 18650 cells. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Ideally, I'd like a robust waterproof box made by Eplican, or Otterbox, or similar, which is the right size to carry 2, 3 or 4 cells in silicon sleeves.

Thanks for any ideas.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Mecarmy B18? I have no experience, but it looks decent if you don't need it to be flat.

d92f41f5dd618302be647a5e7ffb82ff.jpg

c889e472f9d665298b3d99e0cc35e86d.jpg

Last edited:

fmc1

Enlightened
Just a general question. If the water proof case is air tight and the batteries are venting, Is it dangerous?

One of the many reasons the Pelican cases are so good is they have a vent that will let air out but not let water in. I use a 1010 but I think it will be a little to big for what you want. A 1010 will hold 10 18650's and still have room.

carnage

Enlightened
One of the many reasons the Pelican cases are so good is they have a vent that will let air out but not let water in. I use a 1010 but I think it will be a little to big for what you want. A 1010 will hold 10 18650's and still have room.

Thanks for the reply!

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I was really hoping there was a pelicase that fit a small number of 18650s. The Thyrms look very impressive but they're a bit too "tacticool" for me. I've found some cheap "tupperware" style boxes which look reasonably up to the job.

Is this venting thing an issue?

terjee

Enlightened
Is this venting thing an issue?

Venting is a real concern, but it's easy to get too caught up on it as well. The venting on cases like pelicans are not because of batteries, but because when you have a very sealed container, it can be really hard to open if the pressure inside is significantly lower than ambient pressure. It's basically to make the case easier to open.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/explore/videos/pelican-case-automatic-pressure-equalization-valve/

What matters more with regards to venting, is during battery use. A flashlight for example, is a pretty sturdy container, so a lot of pressure could build up if the battery vents, and the pressure just builds up in the light. Much better if the pressure can escape such as through the rubber of a button.

Tupperware container on the other hand? Absolutely no problem what so ever. How much pressure does it take to lift the lid? Certainly not so much that it's become an extra hazard, and build up to the point of bursting and doing damage.

Also, how often do batteries vent during storage? Not exactly an every day event, thankfully. :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. I've been using a Pelican case for many years but it holds 7 18650s along with some lithium AAAs for my Fenix LD01. Not sure if there is a smaller case to hold less from Pelican.

terjee

Enlightened
For larger cases (holds 6), then this is also an option:

https://www.solarforceflashlight-sa...ery-case-waterproof-and-secure-lock-design-v2

I usually skip the sleeves when I use it, as it more of my battery pool when traveling. Two with me in sleeves, then I swap them for fresh ones in this case when at the hotel. Tops up for charged, down for empty, to keep track.

If you want max 4, you could always say it carries 4x18650, a small light and a spare for it. :p

Snug enough fit that the batteries are not crushed, yet no rattling.

Edit to add: it will not hold 6 in sleeves. Upside is that with 6 without sleeve, it's not much larger than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Latest posts