Fitorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

  1. #1

    Default Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    The main purpose of this thread is to discuss differences between two new AA lights from Zebralight: the SC5 II and the SC53.

    For specific information about the SC5c II, I recommend this thread, and for information about the SC53c/w, I recommend this thread.



    SC5 II SC53
    Head diameter 1.0 inch (25.4 mm) 0.96 inch (23.6 mm)
    Length 3.2 inch (80.3 mm) 3 inch (77.6 mm)
    Weight 1.8 oz (49 gram) 1.4 oz (40 gram)








    Zebralight SC5c II Zebralight SC53c Zebralight SC53w

    Output Time lumens*h Output Time lumens*h Output Time lumens*h
    H1 475+352

    285 0,9h 257 330 0,9h 297
    H2a 352 0,9h 317 238 1,6h 381 275 1,6h 440
    H2b 236 1,5h 354 171 2,3h 393 198 2,3h 455
    H2c 144 2,8h 403 106 4,2h 445 122 4,2h 512
    M1 79 4,9h 387 56 8,5h 476 65 8,5h 552
    M2a
    40
    9,6h 384 26 21h 546 30 21h 630
    M2b 18 21h 378 10,3 41h 422 12 41h 492
    M2c 7,4 48h 355 3,5 4,5d 378 4,1 4,5d 442
    L1 2,8 4,2d 282 1 13d 342
    1,2 13d 374
    L2a 1 14d 336 0,26 1,1mo 209 0,31
    1,1mo 250
    L2b 0,28 50d 336 0,06 2,2mo 97 0,07 2,2mo 113
    L2c 0,08 4,3mo 252 0,01 3,3mo 24 0,013 3,3mo 31
    Output, runtimes and dimensions provided by Zebralight

    SC5c II pros: Noticeably brighter on H1.
    More aggressive knurling (personal preference)
    Warmer tint (personal preference) and higher CRI

    SC5c II cons: Clip is much too tight
    Switch feels "gritty" when the light gets very hot. (my specimen) I believe this is caused by air trapped underneath the switch cover.


    SC53w pros: If I am interpreting the data in my own table correctly, the SC53w is significantly more efficient in H2, M1 and M2
    Smaller size. It actually feels even smaller in the hand than the dimensions suggest.

    SC53w cons: Clip is still on the tight side, but not nearly as bad as the SC5c.



    Side by side.





    Looks can deceive. The SC53w is smaller than its big brother SC5c II.







    Pogo pins inside the SC5 II tailcap; the spring inside the SC53 tailcap is larger than the one used for the SC52



    LED slightly off-center on the SC53w. It does not seem to affect beam pattern.



    That blob of solder is somewhat annoying, like a very small chip in the paint on the inside of the fuel cap door on a brand new car. It does not affect performance, but once you have discovered that it is there, it takes a while to push it to the back of your mind.







    I used Zak's excellent app Ceilingbounce for the runtime tests.
    Last edited by Swede74; 08-25-2017 at 02:39 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    The main purpose of this thread is to discuss differences between two new AA lights from Zebralight: the SC5 II and the SC53.
    Excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've been hoping somebody would.

    Are you going to do any side-by-side beamshots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    If I am interpreting the data in my own table correctly, the SC53w is significantly more efficient in H2, M1 and M2
    The M2A lumen-hours figure works works out to 182 lumens/Watt for Eneloop Pro in the SC53c. That's not fundamentally out of the question, but I'm a bit awestruck if the driver and LED really do work so efficiently together in low modes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    Smaller size. It actually feels even smaller in the hand than the dimensions suggest.
    How about for pocket fit?

    Is there any chance you have access to a pair of calipers to take a measurement of the width of the narrower side of the head on the H53?

  3. #3
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,061

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Awesome pics and info, thanks for taking the time and sharing swede

  4. #4

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Thanks! I've been using my SC52w a bit more lately, and always disappointed all the new 1xAA are not that size. It's not much on paper, but a HUGE difference when you pick it up.

    I'm guessing the SC53w is pretty close to the SC52w, but it's hard to tell without having both. I can say, the SC5 (version 1) was a brick!
    GOOD TINT!

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    CO, USA
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Very interesting lumen*hr numbers. I would have guessed it getting more and more efficient the lower the level, but it peaks around M2. I guess I thought I kinda understood how the ZL drivers worked, but I must be wrong.

    By the way, I found the clip little too tight, also. A little judicious bending got it juuuust right.

    I'm loving my new SC53c, it is a tiny little beauty with a great high CRI beam, perfect for me around the house. It is by itself on my nightstand. If I want more lumens, there is always a D4 or another Zebralight close by me (that I can use to help find my X7vn)!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've been hoping somebody would.

    Are you going to do any side-by-side beamshots?
    Of course, how could I forget? I knew there was something I was supposed to do...


    SC53w to the left, SC5c II to the right. Both lights on max output. ISO 200, white balance set to "Daylight"


    SC53w to the left, SC5c II to the right. Both lights on max output. ISO 200, white balance set to "Fluorescent"


    Both lights in M1, WB=Daylight



    Both lights in M1, WB=Fluorescent


    Max output, WB=Fluorescent


    Max output, WB=Fluorescent


    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    How about for pocket fit?
    It fits all my pockets Since I do not mind carrying something as big as a SC600 in my trouser pocket (I usually wear loose-fit clothes) I may not be the best person to ask about pocket fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Is there any chance you have access to a pair of calipers to take a measurement of the width of the narrower side of the head on the H53?
    I have access to a pair of low budget calipers but using them is not my forte. I am not exactly sure what you mean by the narrower side of the head - I assume you you mean the side that sort of tapers, where the switch is located. I have tried to take some measurements, I hope you will find what you are looking for somewhere in the following bunch of pictures.



    Link to full size image: https://s29.postimg.org/7aqschj8n/image.jpg



    Link to full size image: https://s29.postimg.org/ocjmeky3r/image.jpg









    Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Awesome pics and info, thanks for taking the time and sharing swede
    You are very welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm guessing the SC53w is pretty close to the SC52w, but it's hard to tell without having both. I can say, the SC5 (version 1) was a brick!


    The SC53 is ever so slightly smaller. On the outside, that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    I'm loving my new SC53c, it is a tiny little beauty with a great high CRI beam, perfect for me around the house. It is by itself on my nightstand.
    The "w"-version is just as easy to fall in love with. Since I rarely need more than 300-500 lumens, I believe mine will become a constant companion on nightly walks this fall.
    Last edited by Swede74; 08-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Hello all! Nice thread!!

    I joined the forum here (been lurking a while) as I just got a SC53Fc and SC5W II the other day and wanted to add some thoughts and reflections on the two..

    Firstly, a few people will likely think I made a typo - I didn't - I did in fact get a SC53Fc.

    Due to reading numerous people complaining about the mixed up beam colours (and overall lean towards yellow) of the "c" emitters that ZL are currently using, I decided to request a frosted lens to smooth things out. I also prefer a floody beam for most of my uses around the house and while walking at night.

    ZL were more than happy to help and judging by the fact the light and box both came marked SC53Fc I have concluded the "F" models must be nearly in production anyway. That or their customer satisfaction is just that good they were willing to do a semi custom order and mark the light to suit?!?


    OK, so the part you all want to know, how it performs.. in a word: awesome! It certainly has an overall yellow tint when there is a fair amount of ambient light and when compared to the SC5W II but when used at night, on its' own, it is truly something else. I live in the bush so my uses mostly entail viewing lots of green/browns and usually a distinct or complete lack of white surfaces and objects so for these situations it really does well.

    Unfortunately I was walking with both lights and after using the SC5w II for a while, the SC53c did appear a little off in terms of beam tint.

    What this all means to me is that I am now giving the SC53Fc to the Mrs as she commented how warm it was and really likes its size "it's just perfect" is how she described the feel of it in her hands and I have to agree. I will obviously be requesting a SC53Fw now to ensure I have two lights with similar tint.

    The SC5 II feels awesome compared to the original chunky beast that was the SC5 but the SC53 just feels even better IMO. My hands aren't huge but aren't small either and I took the clips straight off so that may play a part in perceived comfort..

    Overall, SC5w II has great tint (not perfect uniform tint from hotspot to spill but beautiful white hotspot) when used other than wall hunting and SC53Fc has beautiful tint when used alone. SC53 just feels perfect in my hand but the SC5 II is very close behind. I think I prefer the lack of knurling and finger groove the SC53 offers. If the SC53 had the same output as SC5 II then it would be a no brainer -> SC53 all day.. As it stands I chose the SC5 for that bit more throw and the SC53 (with frosted lens) as I really don't need more than 300L of floody light to illuminate up to 10m in front of me. My strides are 1m max so really don't need to see more than 10 steps ahead of me to comfortably walk at night...

    Hopefully someone got something out of all of that

  8. #8

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I just got a sc53c a couple days ago. It's my first zebralight and I am very impressed. The light feels smaller than I expected. The quality and interface are great. I can see why so many people love zebralight. It makes a lot of sense that they have one interface that works well and they stick with it. (Yes, the new ones have additional options but the basic programming is still the same)

    The color of the beam is taking a little getting used to. It doesn't seem as bright but you can still see what you are looking at very well. Seems to have less light bounce back. Colors definitely do show up better than my cool white lights. As I use it more the color is growing on me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Excellent comparison, thank you

  10. #10

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post




    The SC53 is ever so slightly smaller. On the outside, that is.
    Perfect!! Even smaller...I may need to get one of these.
    GOOD TINT!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I'm curious about how the numbers hold up in independent testing. Those lumen-hour numbers in particular assume perfectly constant output, and that just isn't so for most lights even with a boost driver. Some runtime graphs and actual lumen-hour numbers would be, err... illuminating. Rumor has it there's an app for that.

    It looks like the corona and spill are a significantly different tint from the hotspot in some of the SC5c shots, which seems to be a common issue with the latest generation of Cree products. Does it look that way in person? I really wish Zebralight didn't hate Nichia.
    Ceilingbounce - flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

  12. #12
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,061

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    My sc5c mkII XP-L2 easywhite 4000k hi cri is different to the above pics. It is yellow , quite a bit more yellow from the several 219c 4000k nichia's i have(if anyone knows the 219c 4k they will know what i mean by towards yellow, like a 219b can be rosy). The 219c 4000k is towards yellow, but nowhere like this XP-L2..............it is yellow. Once i got used to it , its not as bad as i 1st thought. Just not ideal to compare with other "tints" as it makes it worse still. However yellow apart! it does make colours look great(other than whites which look discoloured............dirty). I can cope and do enjoy it when used, but i wont be getting another xp-l2 easywhite unless guaranteed no yellow or at least a lot less yellow.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I should mention that my camera exaggerates the difference between the two lights. Not so much the plate and the food items, but the white towel under the plate does not look as red/rosy in real life when illuminated by the SC5c II as it does in the picture.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I'm curious about how the numbers hold up in independent testing. Those lumen-hour numbers in particular assume perfectly constant output, and that just isn't so for most lights even with a boost driver. Some runtime graphs and actual lumen-hour numbers would be, err... illuminating. Rumor has it there's an app for that.
    I have downloaded your app and am in the process of doing a runtime test on the SC53w in H1. Since I have no one to hold my hand and walk me through calibration, building a proper integration device and other technical stuff, and due to time constraints and sheer laziness, I doubt any more tests will follow. I will, however, post a runtime graph if and when I figure out how to do it.


    I opened the door to my integration wardrobe a couple of times during the test, and might have inadvertently blocked the light sensor while looking at the screen.

    I think I have to put my laziness on the pack burner and redo the test, just to make sure the SC53w was really in H1. ~70 minutes sounds almost too good to be true. I used a brand new, fully charged Fujitsu HR-3UTHC, 2450mAh cell.

    Edit: I redid the test and got a more plausible result. See next post. The graph above probably reflects runtime in H2 (275 lm). Sorry about the confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    It looks like the corona and spill are a significantly different tint from the hotspot in some of the SC5c shots, which seems to be a common issue with the latest generation of Cree products. Does it look that way in person? I really wish Zebralight didn't hate Nichia.
    Yes, unfortunately. It is quite noticeable in person.
    Last edited by Swede74; 08-24-2017 at 12:34 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison


  16. #16

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Pretty solid performance for 50 minutes or so. Not bad out of this little light. I do like the omission of a 1 or 3 minute turbo then stepdown. I just don't have enough self control to keep from using that all the time
    GOOD TINT!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I'll be adding a lumen-hours feature at some point for people with calibrated setups. Maybe percent-hours for those without so you can convert based on published figures.

    The second graph is about the behavior I expected: solid performance with about 50 minutes to 80%, but not flat. Few lights are flat in their highest mode.
    Ceilingbounce - flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

  18. #18

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post





    Well Done!
    All your pics are very helpful. I especially appreciate the beam comparisons with daylight white balance (fluorescent I would skip in future)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    Well Done!
    All your pics are very helpful. I especially appreciate the beam comparisons with daylight white balance (fluorescent I would skip in future)
    Thank you for the kind words. Here is another one:


  20. #20

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    Hello all! Nice thread!!

    I joined the forum here (been lurking a while) as I just got a SC53Fc and SC5W II the other day and wanted to add some thoughts and reflections on the two..

    Firstly, a few people will likely think I made a typo - I didn't - I did in fact get a SC53Fc.

    Due to reading numerous people complaining about the mixed up beam colours (and overall lean towards yellow) of the "c" emitters that ZL are currently using, I decided to request a frosted lens to smooth things out. I also prefer a floody beam for most of my uses around the house and while walking at night.

    ZL were more than happy to help and judging by the fact the light and box both came marked SC53Fc I have concluded the "F" models must be nearly in production anyway. That or their customer satisfaction is just that good they were willing to do a semi custom order and mark the light to suit?!?


    OK, so the part you all want to know, how it performs.. in a word: awesome! It certainly has an overall yellow tint when there is a fair amount of ambient light and when compared to the SC5W II but when used at night, on its' own, it is truly something else. I live in the bush so my uses mostly entail viewing lots of green/browns and usually a distinct or complete lack of white surfaces and objects so for these situations it really does well.

    Unfortunately I was walking with both lights and after using the SC5w II for a while, the SC53c did appear a little off in terms of beam tint.

    What this all means to me is that I am now giving the SC53Fc to the Mrs as she commented how warm it was and really likes its size "it's just perfect" is how she described the feel of it in her hands and I have to agree. I will obviously be requesting a SC53Fw now to ensure I have two lights with similar tint.

    The SC5 II feels awesome compared to the original chunky beast that was the SC5 but the SC53 just feels even better IMO. My hands aren't huge but aren't small either and I took the clips straight off so that may play a part in perceived comfort..

    Overall, SC5w II has great tint (not perfect uniform tint from hotspot to spill but beautiful white hotspot) when used other than wall hunting and SC53Fc has beautiful tint when used alone. SC53 just feels perfect in my hand but the SC5 II is very close behind. I think I prefer the lack of knurling and finger groove the SC53 offers. If the SC53 had the same output as SC5 II then it would be a no brainer -> SC53 all day.. As it stands I chose the SC5 for that bit more throw and the SC53 (with frosted lens) as I really don't need more than 300L of floody light to illuminate up to 10m in front of me. My strides are 1m max so really don't need to see more than 10 steps ahead of me to comfortably walk at night...

    Hopefully someone got something out of all of that
    Thank you for your input Dio, and I almost wish that I too had requested a frosted a frosted lens for my SC5c as the tint variation across the beam profile is quite noticeable and a little bit distracting. Since I ordered from a dealer I did not have that option.

    Zebralight, if you are reading this; snap-on diffusers for all of your lights as an optional accessory would be much appreciated.

    One more runtime test (SC53w, 198 lm) added to the first post.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    Of course, how could I forget? I knew there was something I was supposed to do...

    SC53w to the left, SC5c II to the right. Both lights on max output. ISO 200, white balance set to "Daylight"
    Thanks! I appreciate seeing the neutral white and high-CRI comparison.

    Forgive my asking, but is it possible you mixed up the daylight and fluorescent balanced images? The images labeled as fluorescent are more like what I anticipated seeing for daylight balance, but that could just be my expectations being off-target.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    It fits all my pockets Since I do not mind carrying something as big as a SC600 in my trouser pocket (I usually wear loose-fit clothes) I may not be the best person to ask about pocket fit.
    Mainly I was curious if you think there is a significant different in how well the SC53 fits in the pocket compared to the SC5, or if the difference seems barely perceptible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    I have access to a pair of low budget calipers but using them is not my forte. I am not exactly sure what you mean by the narrower side of the head - I assume you you mean the side that sort of tapers, where the switch is located. I have tried to take some measurements, I hope you will find what you are looking for somewhere in the following bunch of pictures.



    Link to full size image: https://s29.postimg.org/7aqschj8n/image.jpg
    Excellent, Thanks! This one on the left is the measurement I was hoping you'd be able to do and you went even further. I wasn't sure which way Zebralight's spec was measured and how much narrower one side of the head was compared to the other.

    Looks like (if I read the Vernier scale right):
    SC53 Head - 25.15mm x 23.45mm (0.99" x 0.92")
    SC5 Head - 26.30mm x 25.25mm (1.04" x 0.99")

    SC53 Barrel - 18.1mm (0.71")
    SC5 Barrel - 20.9mm (0.82")

  22. #22

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate seeing the neutral white and high-CRI comparison.

    Forgive my asking, but is it possible you mixed up the daylight and fluorescent balanced images? The images labeled as fluorescent are more like what I anticipated seeing for daylight balance, but that could just be my expectations being off-target.
    I was asking myself the same question, so I double-checked, and also took a few more beamshots plus control shots (actual daylight through window). Now I wonder if perhaps the camera app creator mislabelled the white balance settings...








    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Mainly I was curious if you think there is a significant different in how well the SC53 fits in the pocket compared to the SC5, or if the difference seems barely perceptible.
    Let me put it this way: If I hold one light in each hand, the difference is easily discernible, and in my opinion more significant than the dimensions on paper suggest. However, while I can tell which light is in which pocket if I have the SC5c II in one pocket and the SC53w in the other; if I was blindfolded and someone put one of the lights in my pocket and asked me to guess which light, several times, I would probably be right 50% of the times. Maybe 60%.

    Bear in mind, this is coming from a guy who does not think this (+keys) is an overloaded keychain.


  23. #23
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I'm curious to know how much heat the SC53c generates compared to the SC5w II. How hot does each one get at it's highest setting?

    Ideally I'd be interested in seeing the heat on the same light with the "w" vs. "c" emitters - since the "c" is less efficient I'm wondering how much more heat it would generate.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by likethevegetable View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the heat on the same light with the "w" vs. "c" emitters
    opinion (not my photos):
    Since Zebras have built in thermal regulation, I don't expect you would see a temperature difference. Any efficiency difference would be in lumen hours (brightness x runtime)..

    this photo shows a Zebra's heat at 30 seconds,

    and at 60 seconds: (the zebra is at 118F, iirc 140F is considered risk of scalding)
    also, it is best to actually hold the light in hand, as that helps dissipate heat better than free standing...


    my guess is other zebra models will use similar thermal regulation.. but what I could not find for you was a specific thermal scan for the models you are asking about. Maybe someone will find the info you seek.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 09-02-2017 at 01:11 PM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    By the way the SC32W is available on Zebralights site again. I have one shipped yesterday.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,088

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    I have the SC5w and a couple of SC52's. I see the SC53 as a bit of a step backwards from the SC52, since it no longer supports 14500 cells. While I prefer the SC5 for its high output on a AA cell, I still like my smaller SC52's for the same high output on a 14500 cell. The SC52 is only a minute at max output, but that's usually long enough. I wonder why Zebralight dropped the 14500 support?

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    I have the SC5w and a couple of SC52's. I see the SC53 as a bit of a step backwards from the SC52, since it no longer supports 14500 cells. While I prefer the SC5 for its high output on a AA cell, I still like my smaller SC52's for the same high output on a 14500 cell. The SC52 is only a minute at max output, but that's usually long enough. I wonder why Zebralight dropped the 14500 support?
    Perhaps, decided they can easily overheat a light with AA only

  28. #28
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,088

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Perhaps, decided they can easily overheat a light with AA only
    That's certainly true for the SC5. I don't have an SC53, but if it's anything like the SC52 on a AA, then it doesn't really get that hot.

    Maybe Zebralight wanted to completely separate their AA and lithium-ion lines of flashlights, so they dropped the 14500 support. Pity, because the SC52 was a nice cross-over, and handy that it accepted any chemistry you could throw at it.

    The SC53 doesn't look very appealing to me, considering the advantages the SC5 has over it. I think if Zebralight wants a small NiMH light, they should consider making a 1xAAA sized light. That might be really nice for EDC.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    The SC52w was just a great size. Every little bit helps. It's amazing how much bigger the SC5w feels every time I pick it up. Since the SC53w is even smaller, I may just get one and "deal" with the lower output.
    GOOD TINT!

  30. #30
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,088

    Default Re: Zebralight SC5c II vs SC53w - a comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    The SC52w was just a great size. Every little bit helps. It's amazing how much bigger the SC5w feels every time I pick it up. Since the SC53w is even smaller, I may just get one and "deal" with the lower output.
    Yes, I like the SC5w for it's high output on AA, but it is quite a bit beefier than the SC52w. It looks like they didn't have to make it that big (especially the battery section), unless they were just adding thermal mass for running longer on max.

    I don't know why they couldn't give the SC53 the same high output, and just a shorter step-down interval (like the SC52 on a 14500 does).

    Outside in winter, you can run a small light at 500+ lumens constantly, and the thing will never even get warm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •