21700 has arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an email today from IMRBatteries. One of the items they were featuring was a 21700 cell. Looks like the new kid on the block has arrived. Are there any lights that are using that cell? I can't see anyone starting to sell it if there is no demand for one.

ven

Flashaholic
Texas lumens does some pretty amazing hosts! Also there are a few mods now using these cells(ecig)

Edit.........hosts are 20700

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked last night. It's got good capacity (4800mAh) but it's basically a 10A cell that's much fatter than the 18650s. For best cycle life, it seems that 5A is what's called for.

For some, it'll be great, but I'm not switching over stuff just to be one of the cool kids. Carrying a spare 18650 in a silicon sleeve, is easy enough.

Chris

terjee

Enlightened
I'd love to see a triple or quad 21700 light putting out no more than a few hundred lumens, with good mode spacing, including moonlight, and an integrated charger.

Basically a light for power failures. :)

Have the charger be suitable for leaving constantly connected to USB for maintenance charging (just occasionally top up), selectable to charge to 4.2V or 3.92V (long term storage of the cells), and also allow very rapid charging from 12V (car) and USB-C, and it'd be very cool.

Could be interesting to have "normal" beam out the front, and a lit panel on the side, allowing use as a lantern. Choice of neutral and warm, possibly selectable.

Auto-on to preselected mode on power failure as well, including off-mode.

Might now ever happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What goes around, comes around. RayoVac used to sell a very nice 4D lantern with a nice big reflector on the front for throw, and a six inch or so CCFL on the side for area lighting. What was nice was the big reflector made a very nice base for using the CCFL.

I once did some work on a ceiling light in our kitchen, which had a hung ceiling. A couple of nights later I happened to be in the kitchen with all the other lights off, and noticed a glow from one side of the frosted panel on the suspended fluorescent light fixture. Sure enough, I had left the light up there and turned on, and it was still going strong. It would be nice to replicate that using larger Li-Ion cells and current LED technology. Eveready is doing something like that with some of their Light Fusion lights, big no big beam thrower combinations yet. And I do like the way their Light Fusion technology works as an area light.

Status
Not open for further replies.