Time to upgrade? Advice welcome!

Rail

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for advice on which knives to buy. I've been using a Schrade Cliphanger as my EDC for years, and after reading up on everything out there, I'm starting to think I can afford something a bit better. I've been eyeing several of the benchmade folders, like the 710, AFCK, TSEK, 735, and the 940 series. I think I'm sold on the axis-lock concept, but I'm open to any opinions. My current blade measures just under 3", about 7.5" open. I'm wondering wether I should be looking at two folders, one sub 3" for legal carry, and another with more blade for camping/backpacking duties. Also, does anyone find a practical limit to the size of their folder?

Which bring me to my sheath knife. I have a cheap but entirely satisfactory Camillus Western, which I love. I have on several occaisons wanted something more spartan, with tougher steel, a better sheath, and a stronger design. Again I've heard alot about the Nimravus in M2 steel, and I'm just about sold on it. I'm looking for opinions, and should I go serrated?

I've heard a lot of good things about the BK7 Combat Utility. I've been thinking about picking this up for use as a field knife, for camping etc. I don't think I'd want to go too much bigger, if I need to chop wood I usually carry a hatchet anyway.

Finally, what do you use to lube/oil your knives with? I've been using Hoppes#9 and Tuffcloth wipes on most everything. I've read Benchmade prefers Miltech-1. Does anyone have a preference? Tuffglide/Tuffcloth vs. Miltech-1?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I have had no first hand experience with any of these knives.

Thanks in advance,
- Corliss

TOB9595

Enlightened
Rail, you won't go wrong with the BK7. A stout and fine blade for all camping chores. Digs, cuts, slices and chops if needed. But batoning is better left to hatchets.
It is also inexpensive. ~$40.

I truly admire the axis lock and have all the Bm's that you mention. They are all very different.
The 940 is almost diminutive when compared with the 710.
The 710 is one long sucker to play with.
The ideal edc is, I suppose, best setup for your uses.
I carry the Griptillian 550S. I was using the SBT till I came across an uncoated blade. I like the black best but was awaiting the first scratch. No scratch ever happened tho. So I may go back to the SBT.
When surveys are done: Most edc is used for envelopes, small parcels, slicing food, etc.
IMNSHO the 940 is ideal for this. Of course you'll ensure that your 940 has bronze washers.
For an edc on the smaller scale. The mini ascent is a beaut. Hmmm that's not axis tho...
Anyway the 940 is a great size for all round use supplemented when needed by a larger stouter blade profile.
My edc is used for that and a little heavier use.

I got away from combo edges but with the larger knives like the 710 and even the 550 I like the combo best and use the serr a ot.
It's interesting, to me, how the serrations of Benchmades differ. I really like the deep serration of the 550. I have a 720 and I had to ask the previous owner if he reprofiled the knife as it looked so strange. It is an anamoly (sp?) of BM that they change the plane of the edge and recess it a bit. Makes for an odd looking blade. And the serrations are not very deep at all.
Go Figure!
735, is that the pinnacle or is that a 750?
Anyways I really like the pinnacle for it's strength, weight and usability. Shorter than the 710 and built tough.
I liken the pinnacle to the Sebenza.
HORRORS!!
but yes the fit and finish is all that. But no axis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I remember the 735 is the ares. It is a really nice stout blade form. neat handle configuration. sort of like the 690.
I haven't tried mine out yet. Very pretty green handle on mine. I have the black blade. Nice size for edc.
Let us know what you come up with as this thread evolves.
There are many more knowledgeable knife knuts here just lurking in the shadows waiting for Q's thike yours.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened
I have a SOG X-RAY VISION. It is an extremely nice knife. It is smooth as silk when opening, yet there is absolutely NO wiggle in the blade at all.. It's made of ATS-34 steel, sharp as sharp can be,and is a nice size for pocket carry.

Plus,it has the patented,state of the art,"ARC LOCK" mechanism. (coincidence that a flashaholic would recommend something named Arc Lock???)
You can get them on ebay for 50-60 bucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DumboRAT

Enlightened
MilTech is a great lube, but is not considered by many to be a true rust protectant.

I tend to use both MilTech or Tuf-Glide on my pivots, depending on which one the knife is either recommended to use (for BMs, it's MilTech) or "likes better" via subjective action feel.

As for protecting the blade steel, it's hard to go wromg with Tuf-Cloth, but remember that it's not something you'll want to be ingesting. If you're planning to use the knife for food prep, vegetable oil is good-to-go, and quite cheap.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Flatscan

Enlightened
I think most of the BM folders (710, TSEK, AFCK) you listed are around 4" blades, with the 735 and 940 being smaller at 3.5" or so. My recommendations in your current size would be the 705 or the 770. I would go to a shop and play with each of the knives you're looking at. It will help you figure out whether you really want to move up in size and also in picking the particular model.

Militec-1 is amazing on steel-steel pivots, such as the BM balisongs, but I haven't noticed any particular performance on my 705 (Delrin spacers).

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't be disappointed with any of Benchmade's you mentioned. I really, really like the Axis lock myself. The TSEK 805 can be had for well under $100.00, the AFCK 806D2 can be had for just over $100.00. Either of those would be nice larger blade folders.

I just ordered a 720 that has a 3.25 inch blade. I already have a 940s along with a mini-griptillian I got from Cabela's with a D2 blade. I like them both very much.

But Flatscan is right, if possible go handle them.

Mike

Samoan

Enlightened
Rail,

If you can find a way to handle the knives you're interested in you will be very well served. I really love the BM 710 but then again I have really big hands and it is a lot of knife.

Just for the record I am selling the Microtech becuase I prefer the feel and lock on the BM 710...so you might at well.

-F

If you're interested in a good quality blade, albeit without the axis lock, I do have a Microtech Mini Socom for sale or trade.