WW1 1914 Everready Military Torch

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Thanks so much for sharing this rare light with us. Great pictures.

I still kick myself for NOT buying a wooden box lantern that I saw at an antique shop about 25 years ago, I think they only wanted $20 for it! Don't remember if it was marked Eveready, but I will never walk away from any wooden flashlight again without trying to buy it!

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Thank you for leaving it as-is! Too many people try to "restore" antiques and end up ruining them as collectibles and antiques. Old things should look old! If a person wants a new looking piece, they should make a reproduction, and leave the original antiques be.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, thought about restoring it, but will leave it as it is. To much history to it!

Exactly! Just imagine -- that dent on a reflector might be a result of an unexpected artillery barrage and its operator rushing to a nearest ditch and deforming it with the weight of his body...

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
Exactly! Just imagine -- that dent on a reflector might be a result of an unexpected artillery barrage and its operator rushing to a nearest ditch and deforming it with the weight of his body...

Well when you put it that way.. :p

Also I'm curious.. did these use incandescents? And what kind of output would these throw out?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes this used a 3.5v Incandescent bulb and a 4.5v battery. You can still by 4.5 v batteries. Not sure of the output . In a pitch black WW1 trench,this would have been very useful!

Certainly useful at night when things were not lit by bombs bursting in the sky.

Definitely better than fire on a stick, which is what these were replacing if you think about it...