Floody "Pen" light?

665ae

Newly Enlightened
Old lurker here who just got back into lights. Looking for a AAA light with a lot of flood for inspecting vehicle interiors/engines/etc. AA would be acceptable too if its not much wider than the battery. Pocket clip is a must! With all the new lights out I have no idea where to even start!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard.

Would these inspections take place inside vehicles inside dimly lit garages or outside in the sunshine?

From a general all over aspect or for example, while head near the under dash area, under seats etc....

I use a Streamlight microstream for inside a garage but when outside in sunshine while standing back a bit much more lumens are necessary. I use 1x 123 sized lights for that as they can provide like 3x the output of the fabled triple A light.

I also use a formerly made 1x double A Coast HP1 for it's zoom feature. In direct sunlight a spot is in order and in close quarters zoomed into flood works well.
They make an HP5 now I think...
The HX5 is closer to the HP1 with the clip you state is required.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
WB

Another option,check out Lumintop IYP365, would recommend the 219b 4000k option. Standard ano option, also titanium and brass now available(what ever floats your boat). Reasonably priced, nice useful beam..................how long will they last i dont know.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Nebo Lil' Larry Light COB penlight; 3xAAA, fully regulated 250 lumens (and ~50% low mode,) aluminum body with many colors to choose from, $20.

mJpqpF7.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally off the wall, but look at the Nitecore LA10. It is a lipstick style light (diffuser cranks in and out) with a couple of modes and a magnetic base. When the diffuser is totally cranked out it is pretty much a 180° flood, and when cranked all the way in it is obviously more restricted. Just a thought.

Another light would be the TerraLUX Lightstar 80. It is a single AA light with a clip and a rubber collar at the rear end for when one needs to hold it in the mouth. Single mode, claim is 'higher CRI', in comparison with my 90+ CRI lights I would put it at about 85 CRI, and somewhere around 4500-5000K.

The nice thing is both of these lights are in the $20-$30 range, and make nice lights even if they turn out to not meet your immediate needs.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
WB

Another option,check out Lumintop IYP365, would recommend the 219b 4000k option. Standard ano option, also titanium and brass now available(what ever floats your boat). Reasonably priced, nice useful beam..................how long will they last i dont know.
This, or a Lumintop Tool, would be my recommendation for a thin pocketable light.

Also flood was requested and these have balanced beams, not overly floody. The COB style light would be pure flood. But in my experience a hotpot is helpful when looking inside places like an engine so near surface light bounce back isn't too severe.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Lumitop to do exactly what you are looking to do. I have the 219b version. Love it. Cheap enough to buy 2. I also suggest running either Eneloops or Energizer Lithiums. Good Luck

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several AAA penlights and I carry the Klarus P20 24/7 because of its 219 LED and its user interface. It has HML with memory. I generally keep it on high during daylight hours and on low during the evening hours. The level is easily changed with a partial click.... The high is brighter than my other AAA lights and as a bonus it has a cross-hatched lens that helps to even the flood.... I use NiMH AAA batteries and generally charge them once a day even though they will last for days with intermittent use.... I also have the IYP365 that is not quite as bright and I must scroll through the levels each time the light is turned on....

665ae

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard.

Would these inspections take place inside vehicles inside dimly lit garages or outside in the sunshine?

From a general all over aspect or for example, while head near the under dash area, under seats etc....

I use a Streamlight microstream for inside a garage but when outside in sunshine while standing back a bit much more lumens are necessary. I use 1x 123 sized lights for that as they can provide like 3x the output of the fabled triple A light.

I also use a formerly made 1x double A Coast HP1 for it's zoom feature. In direct sunlight a spot is in order and in close quarters zoomed into flood works well.
They make an HP5 now I think...
The HX5 is closer to the HP1 with the clip you state is required.

A mix of both? I know that isn't really helpful but it's going to be more of a backup for when I forget my bigger light (I'm a mechanic). Currently using a NEBO Big Larry due to its cost and because it runs on AA's. Would like something I can carry in my pocket.

665ae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the looks of both of the Lumintop lights. Guess I'll have to get them both now!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Nitecore MT06MD, but would like to try a Klarus P20 and will likely buy one soon.

The Nitecore MT06 is also a really nice light if you want more throw or to penetrate into dark recesses of the engine compartment when outside in bright light.

I Couldn't get used to the M-L-H mode sequence on my Lumintop IYP365, so it sits on the shelf.

The Factor Equipment is a quite nice 1AAA light with mode memory and the best 2-way clip that I have used - even fits thick-brimmed hats. A relatively floody beam.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Couldn't get used to the M-L-H mode sequence on my Lumintop IYP365, so it sits on the shelf.
On the other hand, my IYP365 sits on my night stand, and the medium mode is perfect for what I use it for when needed. If I am doing some real close up precision work I will step down to low, but that is rare, and I don't think I have used high for anything but messing around for the fun of it.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Per other comments, I can also recommend the Klarus P20, it has a very floody beam with no artifacts. Easy UI and the clicky button has a solid quality feel to it, easy to press (unlike my Streamlight 66121 which has a ridiculously hard button to press).
5zn5hncjhqjypfj6g.jpg

d88

Newly Enlightened
The Nebo Lil' Larry Light COB penlight; 3xAAA, fully regulated 250 lumens (and ~50% low mode,) aluminum body with many colors to choose from, $20.]

mJpqpF7.jpg

I don't think you'll go wrong with this. Picked one up a few weeks back and it's been a great little inspection light so far. Seems well made and it's pretty cheap. If ever there was a light designed for it's exact purpose, this is it.