What PSU do I need for this LED bulb?

smilem

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I gave found a very decent LED bulb, CRI95. It's cheap 3Eur.
The problem is PSU is cheap and it flickers.

Here are photos.

QnCgRDh.jpg

ZE1fsBh.jpg

smilem

Newly Enlightened
I measured

voltage is 175.5V
current is 31mA

Led Bulb rating 5.5W
Make: LivarnoLux

How can it be that each led needs 10.9V and 3mA current? All LEDS are wired in single group.
What PSU I need to get to make this no flicker hack? I see allow china PSU are made like 300mA 600mA etc. Voltages are like to 15V or so.
Also the electrolytic cap is 3.3uF 400V. I don't think I can just add larger one because then the LEDS will be turned on for longer and burn???

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
How can it be that each led needs 10.9V and 3mA current? All LEDS are wired in single group.

Each "led" contains 3 leds in series inside the chip.

What PSU I need to get to make this no flicker hack? I see allow china PSU are made like 300mA 600mA etc. Voltages are like to 15V or so.
Also the electrolytic cap is 3.3uF 400V. I don't think I can just add larger one because then the LEDS will be turned on for longer and burn???

The "power supply" do not isolate from mains, i.e. the led circuit is always live. A resistor between the power supply and the leds may reduce flicker, then you can also use a larger capacitor or two in parallel.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Look like it may just be an capacitive filter on the AC to set current. Increasing the size of the electrolytic will reduce line rate flicker, or do you mean it flickers when you try to dim it, etc?

It is cheap, but the MFG cost is likely only about $1.00. The PCB Layout is ... well comical. They could have achieved much better heat transfer, but layout guy probably lowest on the totem pole in engineering w.r.t. capabilities.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by flicker?

I had some lights (led house lights) flickering over the last 6-12 months. But not all, and a gfi trip a few times and a washing machine crash too (with computer controls). Random times, and not coordinated with large loads (microwave and such).

Checked main panel breakers, wire nuts in junction boxes, etc. and found nothing.

Eventuality pulled the utility meter and found one corroded hot phase. A couple of teaspoons of rain water (weatherhead and wires that sloped down into weatherhead) plus 15 years of time, plus current (and heat from current) made for a slowly falling connection. Fixed and my flickering problems went away.

-Bill