Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I WAS looking for reviews or comments on the Coleman Twin LED Lantern, model # 2000024375 earlier.

But I ruled the Coleman out pretty fast and now would like to know what you guys think of the UST 30 and 60 day lanterns.

I guess two different posts inquiring about two different lanterns was too much. So a Mod merged them.

Any UST lantern guys here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone own or have experience with the Coleman twin LED lantern?

My general impression of modern Coleman lanterns is lots of plastic and overall poor build quality.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

My general impression of modern Coleman lanterns is lots of plastic and overall poor build quality.

The more I read about this Coleman, the more I concur with your opinion.

The search continues.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast

The more I read about this Coleman, the more I concur with your opinion.

The search continues.
If you can make the splurge, the Fenix CL25R is a good lantern to consider. 360 lumens and the size of a soda can. Rechargeable via USB or 18650 battery swappable.

Fenix has both larger and smaller, and Nitecore has some smaller as well.

Your situation might be different but 8Ds are heavy, and as time goes on, expensive for me. Rechargeable is so much easier. More expensive up front, though.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

If you can make the splurge, the Fenix CL25R is a good lantern to consider. 360 lumens and the size of a soda can. Rechargeable via USB or 18650 battery swappable.

Fenix has both larger and smaller, and Nitecore has some smaller as well.

Your situation might be different but 8Ds are heavy, and as time goes on, expensive for me. Rechargeable is so much easier. More expensive up front, though.

The Coleman is out. Right now I'm considering a UST 30 day lantern that takes only 3 D cells.

The Fenix lanterns all seem to be rechargeables which, for obvious reasons, doesn't seem to be a good idea for extended power outages.

MODS - Will one of you fellas please delete this thread? At this point, it's just a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Coleman is out. Right now I'm considering a UST 30 day lantern that takes only 3 D cells.

The Fenix lanterns all seem to be rechargeables which, for obvious reasons, doesn't seem to be a good idea for extended power outages.

MODS - Will one of you fellas please delete this thread? At this point, it's just a waste of bandwidth.
I noticed the 2 threads, so this one should die (or be merged).

D cells eventually run out, too.

Lithium ions hold more power and spares can be swapped just like primaries.

A portable solar panel with Sunpower panels would give you the ability to recharge during the day... the ultimate way to get by long periods of no electricity. About $45 for a panel capable of 2A... enough to charge cell phones too.

Not trying to waste bandwidth, just share some things to consider. Good luck and hopefully you get good feedback about the UST in the other thread!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I noticed the 2 threads, so this one should die (or be merged).

D cells eventually run out, too.

Lithium ions hold more power and spares can be swapped just like primaries.

A portable solar panel with Sunpower panels would give you the ability to recharge during the day... the ultimate way to get by long periods of no electricity. About $45 for a panel capable of 2A... enough to charge cell phones too.

Not trying to waste bandwidth, just share some things to consider. Good luck and hopefully you get good feedback about the UST in the other thread!

Bdm82,

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. But here's the situation.

Right now, I have to put money in the house for hurricane repairs.

I'm not sure how much a good quality lantern that uses rechargeables costs.

But add the cost of the lantern, the cost of the18650 rechargeables (or other types) that I'd put in it initially, and then the additional cost of spare rechargeables, which would be a neccesity, the total turns into something I just can't afford at the moment.

I have no idea how much making the house right is going to run. But every dollar is going to count.

And if I mention Sunpower solar panels to my bank account before the house is fixed, all it will do is laugh at me.

Right now, my best option is a decent lantern that runs on alkalines.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hear you loud and clear. Didn't mean to be daft to the situation. Best wishes with the recovery; I've been watching city by city due to work and well, there's nothing I can say that you don't already know.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Unless there's some reason you need a lantern specifically, don't forget the option of just ceiling-bouncing a flashlight; you'll find that in a family dinner situation, a single centerpiece light @ 100 lumens pointed at the ceiling above the table is plenty. There are a lot more flashlights than lanterns to choose from..

If you need a quantity of batteries, look into Amazon Basics brand in the frustration-free packaging; it's just a big box of good alkalines where you're not paying for fancy packaging or a brand name.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

If you need a quantity of batteries, look into Amazon Basics brand in the frustration-free packaging; it's just a big box of good alkalines where you're not paying for fancy packaging or a brand name.

The Amazon Basics look good. Thanks.

Now who owns one of those USTs?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Opinions on the UST 30 day and 60 day lanterns please?

Hey,

I WAS looking for reviews or comments on the Coleman Twin LED Lantern, model # 2000024375 earlier.

But I ruled the Coleman out pretty fast and now would like to know what you guys think of the UST 30 and 60 day lanterns.

I guess two different posts inquiring about two different lanterns was too much. So a Mod merged them.

Any UST lantern guys here?

Thanks.

No problem, the Lanterns subforum doesn't generally get a lot of traffic, so keeping your discussion focused in this one thread should be most helpful for you.

By quoting your (new) OP, I've also fixed your new title, for subsequent posts here ... cheers !

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

No problem, the Lanterns subforum doesn't generally get a lot of traffic, so keeping your discussion focused in this one thread should be most helpful for you.

By quoting your (new) OP, I've also fixed your new title, for subsequent posts here ... cheers !

Thank you, my friend.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

archimedes,

It appears that very few members are familiar with these UST lanterns, but I'm still hoping to hear something.

Please bear with me while I give this a final bump. There will be no more bumps from me for this thread.

Thanks.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is it you want to know? I had one from wal mart. Ran for a long time on the low mode of 15 lumens. Never tried to run it for a 30 day period. Lasted through several camping trips though. A whole deer season.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
What exactly is it you want to know? I had one from wal mart. Ran for a long time on the low mode of 15 lumens. Never tried to run it for a 30 day period. Lasted through several camping trips though. A whole deer season.

Thanks, Big.

So you had the 30 day?

Was the max brightness okay to light a 10x15 room adequately?

I keep seeing 508 lumens AND 1100 lumen ratings for the 60 day lanterns. I wonder which it is?

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
You need about 100 lumens, anything beyond that will just put more light on what you can already see while draining batteries faster and reducing your night vision.

So you're saying 100 lumens will light up a 10x15 ft. room? It seems to me that the room would be very dark.

What is the wattage equivalent of 100 lumens in an incandescent bulb?