Help Me Select A Light For Executive Protection Duties

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just selected for collateral duties in Executive Protection at my agency. I was in training this week and the instructor recommended that we always have a flashlight with us while working. The normal issued light for uniform duty is a Streamlight LED Stinger. Needless to say, that is too big while wearing a suit. Are there any super small 18650 lights that would work? Or, should I look at something that runs on a 123 battery? I am also sure that the future training will include shooting our Glock 17 or 19 while holding what ever light we select.

TCY

Enlightened
The Fenix PD35 Tac, or Nitecore/Armytek equivalent, I assume you need a light with momentary on feature? Adding addition specifications/requirements would help us pinpoint the most fitting light for you.:)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, should I look at something that runs on a 123 battery?.
Coingratulations on your promotion :)

For a CultClassicCR123 option, go to this thread #3492 and discuss whether the Tactical Rotary HDS would be a good fit for your application,
or if one of the other models such as the

Navy Seal 250 lumen Rotary with extended tail
would git er done.
fwiw, you can buy that Seal today from the guy who makes the holster. That would be the most instant HDS gratification.

Somebody asked me by PM to make pictures of the Thorshammer holster on a belt with a HDS in it.

8rjQKDb.jpg

4B0XCtp.jpg

5iLnfOP.jpg

Enr52bs.jpg

UalzWHy.jpg

THaFQTi.jpg

the Surefire Backup might also be a contender..

I hope you click the links in this post, and come back and share what you end up going with, and how it works out.

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Surefires and Elzettas are good choices. I'm not in the profession, but for personal and family defense I carry the P3X Fury Tactical. Since all lights tend to sag from their rated lumens rather quickly, starting with 1,000 lumens helps keep a bright light that is tactically useful. It may be a bit large for your purpose, so you might want to go with the 600 lumen version which is one CR123 shorter. OTOH, since the Furies have a larger head, you may want to go with something smaller--I suggest that you try some on for size, and see what works for your load out.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be a little large, but the Nitecore P30 should fit your bill. A single 18650 or two CR123, it has a clicky switch on the tail that offers momentary as well as on/off. A switch on the side selects modes, and has a shortcut to strobe as well. It has a nice spread of output across the modes, with a very sharp center beam and sufficient spill for area awareness without overloading your eyes. And if you are every going to a long gun, it can also be purchased with the brackets and cabling to mount it and a remote switch (both can be purchased separately as well).

Another possibility would be the Nitecore P10GT. It doesn't have the large reflector of the P30 so would be more compact on a belt or in a pocket. The tailcap has a tactical clicky and an instant Strobe switch.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thought. Always have a backup light. The mantra is "Two is One, and One is None!", meaning if you only have one light and it fails, you (and your protectee) are probably SOL. By having a second light available, even without all the power or options of your main light, you will not be left in the dark and vulnerable. Mainly because I have on and really like it, the Nitecore EA11 would work well. It can use either a Li-Ion rechargeable 14500 cell, or a normal AA cell at reduced output. If you want to stay with CR123 cells, the EC11 is the same light, just different power supply. Both have a secondary red LED for night vision uses as well.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There's a new generation of pocket triples that put duty size output in an executive size package.

Ours comes down like so, with the larger one supporting 18650:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X2 on the SureFire backup.

Slide it bezel down inside your trouser pocket, and your suit jacket will cover the clip.

The PK Design Lab PR-1 also comes to mind.

Congrats on the assignment by the way.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would want a Copper Boss! Those are awesome lights.

For discussion

What is the UI of the Surefire the OP is familiar with?
what are the brightness levels, what key clicks are used to select and change modes, how do you access strobe

How does a Boss fulfill those features.. can it be set up in a similar way so that someone who is accustomed to a Surefire, can transition seamlessly back and forth to a Boss, or lend it to a buddy, or borrow a buddy's surefire.. iow transparency and interoperability?

my concern is all the lights we are suggesting have a lot more options than a basic two mode surefire
what is a realistic feature set for the actual application the OP is gearing up for?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at Malkoff(MDC HA TAC 1CR123), Elzettas(A113), or Surefire(E1D). I would guess you need a K.I.S.S. light: Comes on high, tail switch activated and maybe strobe(for movement, not to disorientate).
Second choices; something with a dual switch? Nitecore P05, maybe P10, Klarus XT1C or XT2C. Good luck.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with multiple police departments and many of the officers work protection gigs on the side. I have sold them the standard 1 inch body lights for duty but for the extra jobs the FourSevens Quark Click is a favorite.

scout24

Flashaholic
Instant, single mode high by mashing a button. Rock solid reliability. HDS with a raised tailcap, personally a clicky so it comes to hand bezel down. It can be programmed as a single mode light, mash and hold momentary. Elzetta Alpha with single mode momentary/twisty tailcap is already set up this way. Either will be plenty at any range you have any business shooting a handgun at, and are pretty foolproof under stress.

PS- I'll move this to the "Recommend me a Light" section.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I did that work in ancient times working for a certain king who vacationed in nj, I had a 2 d-cell maglite and a dc handheld spotlight in my car. I became a cop and used a stinger until I came across this forum and picked up the hds edc120, which I used almost exclusively during the times I was on mother Teresa's protection detail. There is a mind-blowing amount of lights out there now, but if I had to choose, I'd still get an hds for the pocket as a backup, a malkoff for the belt, and if I had room a Valkyrie for the rail mount on the gun

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to the HDS and BOSS, you should consider a 16650 light as their capacities are improving.
Malkoff MDC 16650 with an E1 Scout head, I use one all the time for work (brewing beer not protection) simple on and off from a tailswitch and bomproof. It's even Yetmanproof.
P

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
As someone in the same world as you I would probably go for a G2X LE or Elzetta Bravo or Malkoff M91HOT. All are made very well and keep it simple.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone in the same world as you I would probably go for a G2X LE or Elzetta Bravo or Malkoff M91HOT. All are made very well and keep it simple.

+1 on the Elzetta Bravo. It's simple, adaptable, and you can't break it. If you encounter a force strong enough to break an Elzetta, then you've got much bigger problems than your flashlight. Even then, I'm sure they'd replace it under warranty.

mickb

Enlightened
my concern is all the lights we are suggesting have a lot more options than a basic two mode surefire
what is a realistic feature set for the actual application the OP is gearing up for?

I don't know as much about lights as others on this thread but share this concern. I did HECPO in Afghanistan. I liked simple interface, a high and a low light setting is fine, a lot of your work is not shining enemies in the face with 600lumens to save the day, its using it for regular EDC tasks too. You want it to be able to run a while, I found 600-650 lumens or so the best compromise of battery life for me with an 18650. I never had use for strobes. I preferred throwers over flood.

Last edited:

Latest posts