Angryfox        
Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire tactician

Default Surefire tactician

Well it seems this is going to production. At first I could care less. However the final appears to have an e Series body and the lanyard loop. Twisty tailcap. I would have liked to see the reintroduction of the 2 stage tailcap. However, a twisty is doable for me. Low is achieved by loosening the head. The best part is it appears to be using the maxvision beam! Price my be around 150. I wasn't going to get one but now I will. Tactical response has them listed in thier page for 150. Not available yet.

Default Re: Surefire tactician

Ooooh yeah I am 100% in on this.

Love the head position for hi/lo. Can leave it in either position & treat it as a single mode vs. cycle-thru or staged tailcap. Like the old nitecore multi task & their klarus equivalents. Can't pre order yet. I'll only start to believe this is happening when they know they have some incoming.
    Last edited by leon2245; 09-21-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Ooooh yeah I am 100% in on this.

Love the head position for hi/lo. Can leave it in either position & treat it as a single mode vs. cycle-thru or staged tailcap. Like the old nitecore multi task & their klarus equivalents. Can't pre order yet. I'll only start to believe this is happening when they know they have some incoming.
    Yes, we all know surefire will talk something up and never release it. Time will tell. Lol

I'm in
    John 3:16

Are there any recent news about it? (except the three youtube videos)
    Edit: Sorry, I didn't completely read the first post.
    Last edited by Daniel_sk; 09-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Here is actually a new video about (September 18):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TVC-x86Yg4

I'm in! Love that UI

Thats looks pretty awesome, a Surefire that has my interest at last.

Yes that's the latest video from Yeager. I'm just glad to see it isn't another damn clicky single mode. I know Yeager wanted a twisty tailcap so atleast they listened. I still would have like to have seen the 2 stage tailcap from the a2, l1 lx2 etc days. I'm also glad it isn't tir! 700 lumens from a reflector is going to be nice. 7 lumen low is ok. I'll be preordering if and when it comes

At 2:19 when he hits the momentary, it sure looks awfully cool. Hard to tell on camera, but.... I know, I know, it's built as a tac light, temp shouldn't matter, and even if it did, cool should probably be preferred...but dammit, I'm becoming a snob. :-) Who am I kidding, I'm probably still in. (I'll probably play with it for a week and then take a bath on it in the BST.)
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

Just had a look at the videos, this is a great development by Surefire and Yaeger. Everything on it seems so well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyMike View Post
    At 2:19 when he hits the momentary, it sure looks awfully cool. Hard to tell on camera, but.... I know, I know, it's built as a tac light, temp shouldn't matter, and even if it did, cool should probably be preferred...but dammit, I'm becoming a snob. :-) Who am I kidding, I'm probably still in. (I'll probably play with it for a week and then take a bath on it in the BST.)
    Lol! Yes you and me both. I'll get it and say yeah it isn't bad, then go back to am A2!

Who am I kidding, I'm probably still in. (I'll probably play with it for a week and then take a bath on it in the BST.)
    I'll be circling over the BST like a vulture waiting to scavenge yours or Teak's Tactician.

I saw Yeager's preliminary videos about this light earlier in the planning phase. I really like it, even though it offers little advantage over my current Elzetta set up. If this user interface were to replace the tap, double tap UI of the current Fury line (et al), I would be a Surefire customer again.

Perhaps someday they will offer a choice of beam tint?
    Last edited by Modernflame; 09-21-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I'd be using a defender shrouded tailcap for tailstandability, or custom unshrouded click for pure luxury ease of momentary / clicking-on. Instead of the tactical twist/ momentary only button.

Please make this happen. I'll surefire honk in every thread if they do it.
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

I was thinking the same thing, this light with an LX2 clip and a clicky would be a great edc

I like this light and its clip config as is. The only thing that would make it better for me would be 18650 capability. Surefire themselves will not do this with the E series. It is tactically correct in all aspects. This will not be favorable for everybody just looking for another edc light.

Let’s hope for at least 16650 support - Keeppower have 2500 mAh which isn’t that bad.

If the 16650 posts decent run time figures, I will be buying this light.

Yes, I am also waiting for 16650 compatibility (the runtimes should be good as long as the flashlight is OK with the lower voltage).
    Surefire has also registered the "TACTICIAN" trademark recently https://trademarks.justia.com/875/55...-87555416.html, so the name is probably official.

I wish there would be a forward clicky tail cap as well.

Well that will be easy enough, it will be e tail compatible right?

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    Well that will be easy enough, it will be e tail compatible right?
    I guess this should be interpreted as “no”:

Heh...I suggested he should have Malkoff make the light in the comment section of a couple of his videos. I tried to tell him how the new Surefires aint like the old ones and have GLUED on heads. Everyone totally ignored me.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I guess this should be interpreted as “no”: ...
    My first reaction was to say this seems shortsighted, but I think it’s rather part of a well-planned effort to end consumer-level LEGO’ing of their lights. This one, in particular, but really all their lights, are designed for a specific purpose. Given the loss of government contracts, I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of a pivot toward the Flasaholic market, but I don’t think we’ll see that after a decade of market strategy moving away from us. To Surefire’s mind, and, I’m sure, Yeager’s, this light is perfect for its purpose and no mods are needed or desirable. As someone pointed out above, the market this was made for doesn’t play LEGO or white-wall hunt, so I don’t think we should be too surprised at the lack of interchangeability.

I see your point KentuckyMike but SF doesn't really make them as bombproof anymore do they? Malkoff's superior potting jobs would seem to play to the Military/Police market.

edit: spelling
    Last edited by WebHobbit; 09-23-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    I see your point KentuckyMike but SF doesn't really make them as bombproof anymore do they? Malkoff's superior putting jobs would seem to play to the Military/Police market.
    I won’t argue that one bit. In fact, I’ve just finished selling off most of my SFs and building my Malkoff collection. (The last straw for me was the “end of support” for the Incan lights, but build quality, lack of Li-ion compatibility, and lack of innovation (post-PK) all fed into that.) But for this light, Yeager probably chose this format over the larger 1” to favor carryability and concealability for CCW, off-duty- and undercover. I’m sure “bombproof” and overbuilt weren’t part of the design requirements. Neither was “what will make the flashlight geeks and EDC crowd happy?” :-)

Unfortunately, the “glued on heads” are probably a benefit in the military and police supply world. Most of these folks need a light to make light, they aren’t repairing anything or using modular parts, and the ability for things to come apart/get lost/be reassembled incorrectly is a liability. They’ve accepted the disposable culture. We’re very much a sliver of the market, I think.
    Last edited by KentuckyMike; 09-23-2017 at 08:21 AM.

I was just thinking there is no reason that a 'Yeager Light' couldn't be made from Malkoff's MDC host.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    I was just thinking there is no reason that a 'Yeager Light' couldn't be made from Malkoff's MDC host.
    A Malkoff MDC 16650 with a high/low ring in the head would be a direct (and superior)competitor. Unfortunately, Gene does not currently offer such a device.

When Yeager was originally begging SF to build the tactician, I wondered why he didn't just use an Elzetta Bravo or a Malkoff MD2, which would tick nearly all of his boxes, but then I realized it's about form factor.

The tactician is Malkoffesque, but is unique in its combination of size and features.
    Last edited by Modernflame; 09-23-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My first reaction was to say this seems shortsighted, but I think it’s rather part of a well-planned effort to end consumer-level LEGO’ing of their lights. This one, in particular, but really all their lights, are designed for a specific purpose. Given the loss of government contracts, I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of a pivot toward the Flasaholic market, but I don’t think we’ll see that after a decade of market strategy moving away from us. To Surefire’s mind, and, I’m sure, Yeager’s, this light is perfect for its purpose and no mods are needed or desirable. As someone pointed out above, the market this was made for doesn’t play LEGO or white-wall hunt, so I don’t think we should be too surprised at the lack of interchangeability.
    Eggs-Zackly!!

Except that SureFire don't do domesticated pitbulls.
    Lot's of things changed post flashaholic engineer PK. But like Elzetta, they go for a niche market, along with a more business oriented approach.

PK had the luxury of trying stuff while SureFire gained momentum in an upcoming market. He had a flashaholic approach that eventually allowed SureFire to become a gigantic flashlight supplier through some big $ contracts, but not after many years of effort that most are not aware of.
    They take a conservative approach anymore, for a lot of reasons. And the flashion industry is not on their list of goals. Actually it never was, yet flashion decided SureFire was in vogue anyway.

This light is going to be a winner in terms of its intended market. Bringing back some old school approach with a modern output. My first thought wasn't MD2 but an Elzetta Bones with a low setting. Only no clicky option. Pure stealth with a low output feature.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    John 3:16

Page 1 of 22 1234567811 ... LastLast