HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire tactician

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Surefire tactician

Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary. And since he's involved, definitely not interested.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Here is a close-up picture from the YT thumbnail:
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary.
    I suppose it depends on the environment and the mission distance.

The UI is the biggest update, not the emitter.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    Here is a close-up picture from the YT thumbnail:

wait, "e2t", and I'm reading neither the tail nor head are e compatible?

aside from glue. I'm not worried about glue
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless.
    Book em Dano. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering about the max vision thing, pondering a self blinder in any discernable amount of smoke or high humidity in outdoor use, or lighting me up when used indoors.

I wonder if at least there's a gap between the light and the beam from the standpoint of the other end of the beam. Some lights have a separation of what is seen from the downstream end that does not allow the torsoe of the user to be lit.
    I purposely tried to mask the light so as to not cast aspersions on the company who made it.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-24-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    John 3:16

Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary. And since he's involved, definitely not interested.
    I disagree with this, but there are many pros and cons to the maxvision beam. I don't think you can say it's horrible for all "tactical" use. Stopping a group of 15 people I would love a beam pattern that let's me see everyone at once without moving my light around. I often use triples which I believe have a similar beam pattern. Also the UI is the biggest update here.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I purposely tried to mask the light so as to not cast aspersions on the company who made it.
    Not likely to get far with that, considering your audience. This should be good.

This is the first surefire that I am considering to buy in a long time, the ui is really nice, with two modes.

What I am not totally enamored with is the low is too low for this reflector and the high is most probably rated down to surefires "tactical" output. I would rather a higher usable low and a lower but constant lumens (longer runtime) on high.

Otherwise the size, floody beam and ui are perfect for edc use.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    This is the first surefire that I am considering to buy in a long time, the ui is really nice, with two modes.

What I am not totally enamored with is the low is too low for this reflector and the high is most probably rated down to surefires "tactical" output. I would rather a higher usable low and a lower but constant lumens (longer runtime) on high.

Otherwise the size, floody beam and ui are perfect for edc use.
    I hope this UI becomes available on other SF lights. Add in a choice of beam tint, perhaps a high CRI version, and boom, I'm a Surefire fan for the first time in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I hope this UI becomes available on other SF lights. Add in a choice of beam tint, perhaps a high CRI version, and boom, I'm a Surefire fan for the first time in a decade.
    Yeah, that won't happen. Lol. I'm surprised they did this light. Yeager is a surefire fan for sure even though he doesn't know lights all that well. I still feel this is the best UI surefire offers now. I am not afraid to say the surefires of today are total crap! Made by people who don't use lights anymore. It's all about production. It really pains me to say that. Lol.

As for a maxvision beam not being good for tactical use, well, it could go either way. Indoors it will be wonderful. Outdoors, well we will just have to see when they arrive.

Agreed, I know surefire has big contracts but this is the first innovation they have done in a while, and can get some of the flasoholics or edc crowd interested.

Teak, there is a video on YouTube of Yeager showing the light outdoors at about 50 yards, it does a nice job. I would like to see this light compared to a triple, elzetta and a couple of others.

I love my Elzetta Bravo, but she needs to lose weight. The SF tactician offers one advantage...form factor.

The name sounds Really Neat, I kinda don't want to read about it and be disappointed, plus it's going to be costly, I can tell from the "Surefire" part.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    Here is actually a new video about (September 18):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TVC-x86Yg4
    pretty much a content-free video...

I'm not a SF basher.
    My first serious edc light was a Surefire, and I paid a pretty penny for it too.
    I'm not a basher, but I expect better than government contract prices for quality and performance.
    I still have that light btw, and it's available to a good home for the price of a self addressed, postage paid envelope; not because I don't like it, but because I won't ever use it again and I don't just throw old tools away.
    Last edited by eh4; 09-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    The name sounds Really Neat, I kinda don't want to read about it and be disappointed, plus it's going to be costly, I can tell from the "Surefire" part.
    Ah, the fly in the ointment. She's listed for $150 on Yeager's website, but who knows what will happen when this thing hits the market. A higher price point could well put me off.

This seems like something that would be perfect for an executive close protection role, or EDC alongside a sidearm. Other than that, I'd say it's usage may be limited. However, for those purposes it seems perfect

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    pretty much a content-free video...

I'm not a SF basher.
    My first serious edc light was a Surefire, and I paid a pretty penny for it too.
    I'm not a basher, but I expect better than government contract prices for quality and performance.
    I still have that light btw, and it's available to a good home for the price of a self addressed, postage paid envelope; not because I don't like it, but because I won't ever use it again and I don't just throw old tools away.
    Yes please!
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

leon2245 has dibs unless he declines.
    leon2245 check messages.

Love the form factor but not a fan of the Maxvision beam for lights other than keyring models. A reflector similar to the Malkoff M61would allow it to essentially get maybe the same reach for less output, say, 500 lumens while maintaining a flatter output curve and would make the 7 lumen low more useful.Bezel up/down reversible clip would be great.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    A reflector similar to the Malkoff M61
    In a perfect world, there would be no war, violence, or death. Also, every flashlight would be made by Gene Malkoff.

In a perfect world, there would be no war, violence, or death. Also, every flashlight would be made by Gene Malkoff.
    LOL
    That reflector is just so satisfyingly good to use.

Just watched the comparison video and looks like the Tactician is real handy in terms of size.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

My MD2 still in transit. Damn!

THIS!!!
    The body is the longer L1 version. I took out the driver and Barry from Precision Works bored the shelf out so it holds 2 x cr123. I still kept the 16mm width for ruggedness. The head is a Malkoff E2ST with crenelated bezel. With the 2 stage momentary tail cap, long 2-way clip and rubber oring it is the best damn combat light I have ever owned.
    Last edited by flashlight nut; 09-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight nut View Post
    THIS!!!
    The body is the longer L1 version. I took out the driver and Barry from Precision Works bored the shelf out so it holds 2 x cr123. I still kept the 16mm width for ruggedness. The head is a Malkoff E2ST with crenelated bezel. With the 2 stage momentary tail cap, long 2-way clip and rubber oring it is the best damn combat light I have ever owned.
    Nice! I have done this a few times with l1s. How is the low with that Head? Are you using a 16650 or primaries? Since you said holds cx123 I assume primaries but wanted to verify. Lol

Definitely primaries. Long shelf life, slow taper and I don't have to worry about the protective circuit killing the battery with hard impacts. If I had to guess it would be about 200 lumens on low.
    This is a picture of a L1 body that was bored out to 18mm after I dropped it. The tail cap with the treads inside completely detached from the body.
    Last edited by flashlight nut; 09-26-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Definitely primaries. Long shelf life, slow taper and I don't have to worry about the protective circuit killing the battery with hard impacts. If I had to guess it would be about 200 lumens on low.
    This is a picture of a L1 body that was bored out to 18mm after I dropped it. The tail cap with the treads inside completely detached from the body.
    Sorry, that sounds evil, but I’d call it: “How to ‘improve’ a flashlight by destroying its main selling point”

While I'm not a fan of, and don't own any, of the newest generation of Surefires (well besides the E2D LED Ultras I used to own), this one has gotten my attention.

I also consider this to be catered directly to LEO/weapon use scenarios, and in this role it may be a good choice. I may watch the videos sometime to see just how effective the beam may be in real life use.

THIS!!!

Does the 10 ohms resistor with that large current coming from the E2ST have any heat / longevity issues? Being designed for under 1000 mA originally I have hesitated to use that tail-cap with my E2ST which pulls 2.1 amps.

I haven't had any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson456 View Post
    Does the 10 ohms resistor with that large current coming from the E2ST have any heat / longevity issues? Being designed for under 1000 mA originally I have hesitated to use that tail-cap with my E2ST which pulls 2.1 amps.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast