Fenix Outfitters        
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire tactician

Default Re: Surefire tactician

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Manco View Post
    Thank you Daniel, I thought a 16650 cell was the same diameter as a CR123? The lower voltage part I understand. Thanks again.

Yeah, 16650 is slightly thicker. No guarantee they will fit.

I'm betting they WILL fit physically (most of my E-bodies work with them) but there will be some issue with the voltage and brightness will be altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    Some surefire flashlight bodies are too tight to fit the 16650 (such as LX2). Or some will not work on the higher output settings - for example the UM2 will start flashing on the highest setting (level 7), that's probably because of a low battery warning.
    I can confirm that the LX2 can fit a 16650. It's sort of a tight fit, but runs perfectly fine on them.
    My website: https://precogvision.wordpress.com (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Yep I have two 2000mAh Keeppower 16650 and they both fit my LX2.

Not sure about the 2500mAh though
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

It depends also on luck / batch. Some LX2 are tight - I tried 4 or 5 16650 and none of them fit. One would maybe fit without the sticker. There is a thread about LX2 and 16650 somewhere on CPF. My personal bet is that they will physically fit the Tactician. Let's see if the High mode will work correctly...
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

I guess we will have to see when it shows up. My only surefire I currently own is an L4 and the batteries will be her before the Tactition. Any reason they would not work in a L4 if they fit?

Do you charge them(16650 cells) to 4.35v or 4.2 and if so do you notice any difference in performance?
    Last edited by Joe Manco; 10-17-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Do you charge them(16650 cells) to 4.35v or 4.2 and if so do you notice any difference in performance?

I charge mine to 4.2 since that is what my charger does. I figure I lose some capacity but the cells will last longer.

Never noticed it practically speaking.

In the video linked at the bottom of the order page, he mentions there will be another version coming out later with a clicky tail cap. Has anyone heard anything more about what else might be different? I was also looking for a size comparison against other lights (Surefire or otherwise). Does one of the other videos cover that?

Hopefully I didnít miss this in the thread, but can anyone venture a guess on run times?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribull View Post
    Hopefully I didnít miss this in the thread, but can anyone venture a guess on run times?
    Super long runtimes on the 7 lumen low setting.

ANd probably super short runtimes on the 700 lumen high setting.

If you need anything in between, probably get a zebralight or a nite coar with 7 medium modes in each sub level.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Gawdam post lag!
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Supposedly these things are shipping this week. Guess we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by teak View Post
    Supposedly these things are shipping this week. Guess we will see.
    I hope so. Where did you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis b View Post
    I hope so. Where did you hear that?
    It's pretty much a rumor. Someone stated on tactical response FB page that they called surefire and was told the 27th. So take that for what it's worth.

It's pretty much a rumor. Someone stated on tactical response FB page that they called surefire and was told the 27th. So take that for what it's worth.
    I gotcha. I just checked tactical response web store and now it states shipping November.

I just placed my order as well. It states November shipping.
    To me, the E-series is my favourite platform, so I ordered it. $150 for a brand new SF design doesn't sound too expensive to me. Once it comes in, I'll see how it does with standard E-series parts, and if a 16650 will work it.

guarded optimism on this new torch!
    ~D
    Have torch, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    I just placed my order as well. It states November shipping.
    To me, the E-series is my favourite platform, so I ordered it. $150 for a brand new SF design doesn't sound too expensive to me. Once it comes in, I'll see how it does with standard E-series parts, and if a 16650 will work it.

guarded optimism on this new torch!
    ~D
    My L4 works fine with a 16650. But itís not as bright as the tac will be. We will see when they arrive.

Yeager's latest video he stated he made sure it wouldnt work with rechargeables because he doesnt think they belong in this light. I bet sf still made it compatible with 2x16340 or 16650 i duno just have a feeling
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    Yeager's latest video he stated he made sure it wouldnt work with rechargeables because he doesnt think they belong in this light. I bet sf still made it compatible with 2x16340 or 16650 i duno just have a feeling

What? How did he make sure? Tightened the inner diameter of the body? IDK if he is actually dictating absolutely every specification.

Either way, you can always use a different e body.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    What? How did he make sure? Tightened the inner diameter of the body? IDK if he is actually dictating absolutely every specification.

Either way, you can always use a different e body.
    Yeah, he also initially said it wasnít possible to use any other tailcap or head with the Tactitian body and heís already walked that back. Take everything he says with a healthy dose of salt.
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

Id say there is a pretty good chance it will run on a 16650. Also possible that it will be at a reduced output. All will be told soon.

Yeager is a self defense guru, but I don't get the impression that he knows batteries that well. When he said rechargeables don't work, I had the impression he was referring specifically to 18650's.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Yeager is a self defense guru, but I don't get the impression that he knows batteries that well. When he said rechargeables don't work, I had the impression he was referring specifically to 18650's.
    Correct. Iím betting a lot of members might not like this light because they wonít understand itís intended use.

Correct. Iím betting a lot of members might not like this light because they wonít understand itís intended use.
    Yes. Certain lights I only run primaries in. They tend to be the ones I rely on the most. Same goes for tailcaps. I use twistys instead of clickys. Broke too many clickys to put the utmost trust into them.

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I can confirm that the LX2 can fit a 16650. It's sort of a tight fit, but runs perfectly fine on them.
    I almost tore the wrapper on one of my 16650ís trying to cram it in my LX2. It would not fit. Mine was an older logo LX2 that I since sold. Wonder if that had anything to do with it. I forget the battery brand, got it from mtnelectronics.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

Yes. Certain lights I only run primaries in. They tend to be the ones I rely on the most. Same goes for tailcaps. I use twistys instead of clickys. Broke too many clickys to put the utmost trust into them.
    Exactly. Reliability in recreational lights is one thing, but for self defense it absolutely positively has to work at an instant every time.
    And continue to work under stress.
    John 3:16

Besides cr123s having superior resistance to cold, what do they have on a sanyo ur16650zta unprotected as far as being more dependable?
    Or really any unprotected lithium ion actually.
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 10-24-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Besides cr123s having superior resistance to cold, what do they have on a sanyo ur16650zta unprotected as far as being more dependable?
    Or really any unprotected lithium ion actually.
    Not much, really. I suppose one might argue that most lights cut off abruptly at a certain voltage when running on li-ons , whereas the primaries taper off slowly. For me personally (just one guy's opinion), I'd trust any of my unprotected AW cells on a full charge.

One might also add that primaries are maintenance free when left unused for years, while li-ons will need attention.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Not much, really. I suppose one might argue that most lights cut off abruptly at a certain voltage when running on li-ons , whereas the primaries taper off slowly. For me personally (just one guy's opinion), I'd trust any of my unprotected AW cells on a full charge.

One might also add that primaries are maintenance free when left unused for years, while li-ons will need attention.
    Yep. Pretty much the only differences. If one chooses to run lion batteries unprotected is the way to go for more reliability.

I used to run protected AW cells in my duty light.. I dropped it from about 5ft and the protection circuit failed. I've been running unprotected AW cells since and have added orings to act as battery bumpers. After that experience I can understand why Yeager only wants primaries, they are as close to 100% reliable as you can get.
    Last edited by mk2rocco; 10-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast