Olight - S1 - MINI        
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

Default Re: Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    I am having a really hard time getting over the completely purple ring at the very outer edge of my Plus beam... I assume this is normal?

It doesn't even seem to be from tint-shift, it appears to be the light bouncing off the steel bezel and picking up the purple tint from the AR coating?
    I'm not sure that's it. I had an Eagletac light with a very defined purple ring. After taking off the stainless bezel and lens, it was still there, so I assumed it was just the LED.

Edit: I was wrong. After checking some old pics I found that the purple went away completely after removing them.
    Last edited by markr6; 01-22-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm not sure that's it. I had an Eagletac light with a very defined purple ring. After taking off the stainless bezel and lens, it was still there, so I assumed it was just the LED.
    Yeah, from what I've read, the XHP 50.2 has a problem with tint-shift across the beam, which is what the SC600 MkIV Plus uses.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    Yeah, from what I've read, the XHP 50.2 has a problem with tint-shift across the beam, which is what the SC600 MkIV Plus uses.
    When people talk about the stronger tint shift on the XHP50.2 they are talking about the corona not a purple ring on the outside of the beam. The stronger yellowish corona on these emitters is caused by the phosphor covering the outer parts of the emitter, that aren't on the dies, not being as excited as much as the phosphor directly over the dies. The ring he is talking about is likely caused by the AR coating ZL uses which is pink/magenta in colour or just the standard purple spill that is a characteristic of reflector based Cree lights.

I don't recall my Plus being any worse then any other average reflector based Cree light I have had other then the corona which had a stronger tint shift towards yellow. It did have a pinkish cast outside the spill caused by the AR coating though if you put it up against a wall.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    When people talk about the stronger tint shift on the XHP50.2 they are talking about the corona not a purple ring on the outside of the beam. The stronger yellowish corona on these emitters is caused by the phosphor covering the outer parts of the emitter, that aren't on the dies, not being as excited as much as the phosphor directly over the dies. The ring he is talking about is likely caused by the AR coating ZL uses which is pink/magenta in colour or just the standard purple spill that is a characteristic of reflector based Cree lights.
    I notice that all my Zebralights with regular Cree emitters have a purplish spill. But, my SC600w MkIV HI, with the XHP35 HI emitter, does not have this. I assumed it was because HI emitters have better tint consistency across the whole beam.

Flashaholic*

I notice that all my Zebralights with regular Cree emitters have a purplish spill. But, my SC600w MkIV HI, with the XHP35 HI emitter, does not have this. I assumed it was because HI emitters have better tint consistency across the whole beam.
    Yep, it is a product of the way the dome on high density(HD) emitters interacts with the reflector. On mule models(with an HD emitter) without a reflector you will notice that the colour shift is reversed and the purplish colour is in the center of the beam because it is not being reflected. High intensity(HI) emitters don't use a dome so, they don't have this effect. So, if less tint shift across the beam is a desired quality then HI emitters are the better choice. Unfortunately they also produce I very tight and concentrated hotspot, unlike HD emitters, which is not ideal for many uses.

I think that this is the case. I've noticed the same thing. The XHP35 Hi is a hell-of-a-good emitter in my opinion allowing a great throw and a reliably even tint.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

What I am referring to is not a "purplish spill"... it is a distinct and very purple ring around the very outside of the beam.

Does it look like this? This is from my Eagletac T25C2.

GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Does it look like this? This is from my Eagletac T25C2.

That is a common trait of early Eagletac's. It is caused by the AR coating they used to use which is blueish. They now use a multi spectrum coating that is supposed to be better.

It should be noted that AR coated glass will almost always cause some type/colour cast.

ZL uses a pinkish AR coating on the Plus. Mine had a bit of a pinkish cast(similar to Mark's picture but, pinkish instead of blueish). It wasn't purple like holygeez03 is describing from what I remember(I sold it).

Perhaps Zebralight is getting caught up with its inventory, because I received my SC600w mk4 Plus this week, only 10 days after ordering. Could be a return, but certainly doesn't look like one.

What a gem, I love nearly everything about it. Not as floody as I expected, which is a good thing. Very similar beam profile to my SC63w, but significantly brighter (almost appears twice as bright), slightly warmer, and better tint (less green). I estimated about 2400 lumens, using ceiling bounce, a lux meter, and several known lights.

Some tint shift, but no obvious purple. I like warm lights, so I consider the corona just a bit warmer than the middle of the beam. My only complaint is that the low is not dim enough, as others have said. I use the 0.01 lumen low of my SC600 mk3 HI during the middle of the night, and find it very useful.

Overall, $99 is a bargain for a light of this quality.
    Last edited by dmsoule; 01-24-2018 at 07:33 AM.

I am loving mine! Very bright, very small, perfect tint. Great value in a light. Iíve been carrying mine everywhere since a got it a few weeks ago.

I too noticed a hint of purple in the spill and green in the middle but doesnt really affect me using it and is mainly on lower modes. I love the quality and wider beam for walking.

Im guessing the 4 leds are mixed as on low they illuminate slightly differently and if i rotate the torch I can see a slight shift in color each turn.

Pulled the button tops off my 30q's and they are nice and snug. My ga is slightly dented after use but i cant remember if it was before.

I also got mine in ten days just recently but think its listed as back ordered last time I looked. Very happy.

The pictures look worse than what i see

Daytime

https://screenshot.net/42nl6fy

https://screenshot.net/e01loiy

https://screenshot.net/dzpxliq

https://screenshot.net/1y14vak

Couldnt get pics to link and display
    Last edited by leggera16; 02-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Got my SC600 IV Plus today.

My initial impressions
    :

OK tint. Somewhat white-yellow. Not as warm or rosy as my 4000K XPL HI 5D tint Emisar D4. The Zebralight's tint isn't bad, but the D4's rosier tint is just better.

Excellent thermal management. When turned on side-by-side with the D4 with both lights on a fresh cell on turbo, the Zebralight barely looks like its on medium. The Emisar with twice the output appears enormously brighter with both a wider flood and more throw. However, after 15-20 seconds or so, the Emisar's driver has dimmed its output so much to prevent overheating the Zebralight pulls ahead in output. The Zebralight's current-controlled driver should also offer better runtimes at the expense of tint shift at lower power.

Hand feel is excellent. Exactly the same body as on the SC 600 III series lights. The Zebralight is slightly longer and wider than the Emisar D4 in 18650 configuration.

Anodizing is perfect. No blemishes or slightly discolored areas that I've occasionally experienced with Zebralight.

Iíve read this complete thread two times. I hate to see it die ...

1. My EDCs for the past several years have been the SC52 L2 and SC32w. Excellent for my pocket purposes, but Iíd like to move up to a ZL 18650 for more outdoor use. NOTE: My brightest light is a NiteCore P12 (1K lumen) but itís kept on the nightstand for bumps in the night.

2. Two days ago, ZL told me more SC600w Mk IV Plus(es) would be available in three weeks. Hope so. (Forgot to ask about the SC600w Mk IV HI. Nuts.)

3. Iím still torn between the SC600w IV Plus and the IV HI. There have been outdoor photo comparisons of the IV Plus and the Mk III HI but none with the Mk IV HI. Can anyone remedy that with photos or dialog of experience comparing the two newer units?

I plan to order this week. Lacking any new information, I will probably go on the crazy lumen race with the Plus model hoping that gives me enough throw (100-150 yards) plus I like the designís battery efficiency vs the IV HI.
    Last edited by Capn; 03-08-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Correct typos

If you are looking for 100-150 yard throw, I would definitely lean towards the HI.

I have a different thread that I started a while back discussing my dilemma trying to decide between the IV HI and Plus when they were first announced... I was looking for an upgrade to my SC62w. I went with the Plus and I wasn't blown away overall and the tint shift does annoy me. Honestly, it makes me even more impressed with my SC62w in comparison.

I'm sure the throw of the HI is impressive, but I wasn't sure if I could handle the narrow beam profile for my purposes. I probably should have ordered one to compare myself.

The "regular" SC600w MKIV might also be a good in-between choice.

If size is important, you may want to consider the SC64w...
    Last edited by holygeez03; 03-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks for your input, holygeez03.

Unenlightened

I ordered the SC600W plus and I was not thrilled with it. It is very floody. To floody for my taste, although the amount of light it puts out is enormous.

I then ordered the SC 600 hi and I have been thrilled with it. Throws great and has a great balance of spill. It is the light that I have been searching for for a long time. If you like a throw light this is the one to carry.

I may find myself in the same situation, Red One. I have ordered the Plus 2300-lumen model. Hopefully, I wonít need to sell / replace it with the HI model.

(Iím weak ... I just c-o-u-l-d-ní-t pass up all those lumens. Crazy, I know. &#128512

Flashaholic*

I have the HI version, and I don't find its beam too narrow for outdoors. The extra throw is very useful. It's not so great an indoor light, but I prefer one of my floody SC52's for indoors or EDC.

I also perfer my SC5w as a night-light. The moonlight on the SC600 is too bright for middle-of-the-night.

But for a general-purpose outdoor light, the SC600w MkIV HI is definitely my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Got my SC600 IV Plus today.

My initial impressions
    :

OK tint. Somewhat white-yellow. Not as warm or rosy as my 4000K XPL HI 5D tint Emisar D4. The Zebralight's tint isn't bad, but the D4's rosier tint is just better.
    I own over several thousand dollars (over 50 flashlights) and the Emisar D4 XPL HI 4000k 5D has the best looking tint by FAAARR. I just hope it was hi CRI and that the D4 doesn't dim so quickly. Still debating whether to get the SC600 IV Plus right now...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    I own over several thousand dollars (over 50 flashlights) ...
    Just a young whipper-snapper yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Red One View Post
    I ordered the SC600W plus and I was not thrilled with it. It is very floody. To floody for my taste, although the amount of light it puts out is enormous.

I then ordered the SC 600 hi and I have been thrilled with it. Throws great and has a great balance of spill. It is the light that I have been searching for for a long time. If you like a throw light this is the one to carry.
    I was always more of a flood person, but surprisingly I found the HI to be a pretty good general use light too. And great as a mini thrower outdoors. I liked it so much I never re-purchased the standard SC600III/IV (I had the III and it was nice, but didn't feel the need for both).

A throwier light can make do up close, but a floody light can't make do for distance after a certain point even on H1.
    GOOD TINT!

I have an SC600w III HI. Great light, but I found it unpleasant for up-close use. The spotlight was too narrow and too distracting. Great light for medium distance, but not great for short range.

I find the SC600w IV Plus to be much superior for close up. Both the spot and spill are much brighter and it seems to have plenty of runtime in turbo before heat causes any noticeable stepdown. I'm very impressed with this light.

These past few posts would be better off in the "Plus vs. HI" thread...

I went ahead and ordered a MKIV HI to compare with my Plus.

Any SC600w IV Plus owners happen to have a Thrunite T10?

The T10 is my ideal spill+spot beam and am wondering if the IV Plus' 14į hot spot is floody enough.

Hi.
    In my sc600 IV Plus, in H1 after 15 or 20 seconds, it changes to M1.
    Should not lower the intensity alone instead of changing the mode?
    Is it normal or is it some kind of failure?
    Thanks and sorry for my english.

@SergiT
    Most likely you are using a battery that's not able to deliver enough amps and that drops in voltage so much that your Zebralight steps down.
    Use a Sanyo NCR18650GA or Sony VTC6.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    @SergiT
    Most likely you are using a battery that's not able to deliver enough amps and that drops in voltage so much that your Zebralight steps down.
    Use a Sanyo NCR18650GA or Sony VTC6.
    I already use only Sony VTC6 and Samsung 30Q.

If these batteries work OK in other lights something may be wrong with your Zebralight. It shouldn't step down like that with good batteries.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    If these batteries work OK in other lights something may be wrong with your Zebralight. It shouldn't step down like that with good batteries.
    Ok. Thanks. I will check these batteries on other light.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast