Acebeam        
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

Default Re: Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

Rats.

I successfully fought off the temptation to buy an SC5c II, only to discover the Manker E14 II is available as one of the highest power high CRI lights on the market.

I fought off the temptation to buy the Manker, and now Zebralight comes out with a new high power, mid-CRI light.

So now I've got to fight off the temptation to buy that, but even worse, I know the SC600c IV is just around the corner.

I'm glad it appears the donut hole issue is gone. I'm much more likely to consider this light with at least modest throw available compared to with a frosted lens.

I'd happily accept a light 1/4" longer in exchange for having sufficient spring/pogo pin travel to avoid crushing batteries. I don't understand why Zebralight is so obsessed with minimizing length.

I held off on the II because the ~200 lumen difference wasn't that great; I guess one way to make sure everybody upgrades is to make the light roughly twice as bright over the previous version..

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Hey Zebralight I know you are here

Please this time do the following

1. No PWM of any kind on all levels.

2. No Battery Rattle (bring back Springs).

3. Perfect anodizing.

4. Make 2 versions please one with smooth reflector (thrower) and the other (orange peel) for balanced beam.
    With reflectors of that size they just have to apply OP to eliminate beam artifacts. And to make a real thrower they need to increase the reflector itself. I guess this is not their motto.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Rats.

I successfully fought off the temptation to buy an SC5c II, only to discover the Manker E14 II is available as one of the highest power high CRI lights on the market.

I fought off the temptation to buy the Manker, and now Zebralight comes out with a new high power, mid-CRI light.

So now I've got to fight off the temptation to buy that, but even worse, I know the SC600c IV is just around the corner.

I'm glad it appears the donut hole issue is gone. I'm much more likely to consider this light with at least modest throw available compared to with a frosted lens.

I'd happily accept a light 1/4" longer in exchange for having sufficient spring/pogo pin travel to avoid crushing batteries. I don't understand why Zebralight is so obsessed with minimizing length.
    Some bad(good) news for you: grab a D4vn for 60 bucks, 3700 lumens with 4*4000K R9050 219C

Flashaholic*

What I don't understand is why, for the past couple of years, the AA lights have gotten all the good emitters, while 18650 lights have to make due with low CRI garbage emitters. I mean, the SC5 got the Easywhite XM-L2's and now the XP-L2. But the 28650 lights never got these. The SC600Fw did get the high CRI XHP50, which admittedly isn't bad. But even this emitter is not 'cherry picked' in the same way as the SC5 Easywhites (ie three vs two point Macadam). And, of course, the SC63 got totally hosed when it came to emitters, with NO high CRI option whatsoever. What gives?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    And, of course, the SC63 got totally hosed when it came to emitters, with NO high CRI option whatsoever. What gives?
    Did you see the upcoming SC64c?

Sounds like a good candidate. Will likely get one myself.

Other than that, I'm guessing it's just a matter of production capacity vs. lumen chasing and what actually sells.

tighter binning with easywhite isn't really a good thing for these emitters at 4000k and above, because it means you'll have less of a chance of getting an emitter that tends towards rosy instead of greenish. The same is true for the high CRI emitters, since they all follow the 2-step easywhite selection.

The Macadams steps for Cree emitters don't matter at all in flashlight use, because the emitters are binned integrated i.e. averaged throughout the radiated light. Any tint shift (which is very apparent on all modern Crees) makes the tint binning useless. It only guarantees that the variation between lights is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by maukka View Post
    The Macadams steps for Cree emitters don't matter at all in flashlight use, because the emitters are binned integrated i.e. averaged throughout the radiated light. Any tint shift (which is very apparent on all modern Crees) makes the tint binning useless. It only guarantees that the variation between lights is smaller.
    The Plus and H53Fc have frosted lens to smooth things out so they worked great for me, not so sure about this one with a clear lens. Maybe I'll wait for someone to post a review first, I wish I'm not that much of a tint snob but can't help it

I was looking at the 50.2 datasheet, and ZL is going to have to pull of some magic to get 2400 OTF lumens from a single 50.2 on a single 18650. If it is a single LED like other ZL's, they'll be boosting up over 6.0V, gotta be well over 4A (maybe 6A even), and over-driving the emitter quite a bit. This light will have to be the hottest ZL ever made, and might even drive some changes in the body shape/weight to handle the heat.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if ZL has a multi-50.2 design that they're about to roll out. They don't like over-driving emitters too much, it seems. I'd say not likely, but possible.... Even with a multi-emitter design, the driver will still have to be pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho View Post
    I was looking at the 50.2 datasheet, and ZL is going to have to pull of some magic to get 2400 OTF lumens from a single 50.2 on a single 18650. If it is a single LED like other ZL's, they'll be boosting up over 6.0V, gotta be well over 4A (maybe 6A even), and over-driving the emitter quite a bit. This light will have to be the hottest ZL ever made, and might even drive some changes in the body shape/weight to handle the heat.
    As per information from ZL emails posted here recently, ZL is not overdriving their LEDs at all, ever. The SC600fd III Plus is already draining up to 8 amps, so no biggy. ;-) Yes it will get hot quickly and step down, probably comparable to the SC600fd III Plus (after ~45 seconds).
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Yeah, PCT suggests 2400–2500 LED lumen for XHP50.2 at 3A, so depending on the temperature this is very plausible. But since it's a 6V LED, the driver has to pull some 18W from the battery as expected. That being said, PCT also suggests that XHP50.2 has a bit lower forward voltage compared to the original XHP50, so perhaps this won't be the hottest ZL light to date (at least no hotter than the SC600F III Plus).

50.2 has very low forward voltage. It won't need to be driven heavily at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TCY View Post
    Some bad(good) news for you: grab a D4vn for 60 bucks, 3700 lumens with 4*4000K R9050 219C
    I'd forgotten about the D4. Crazy little hotrod. I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for, but still will be one I consider.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    I'd forgotten about the D4. Crazy little hotrod. I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for, but still will be one I consider.
    I used it over the weekends. With thermal setting clocked to 55 degrees C the D4 219C can sustain ~500 lumens with ambient temp of about 27 C and no air flow. Occasional bursts of turbo are fine too. I'm liking it so far.

This might finally be the SC600 that I purchase... never could justify adding any of the other iterations to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Strintguy View Post
    2440 lumens for how long? And the step-down to what?
    If it's in the Mk III body running twice the watts (minus the lower Vf) it's going to step down pretty darn soon. I have my temperature set point down a few degrees to their minimum so I can actually hold it for a few minutes on max, and it starts ramping down within 10-20 seconds.

So, really impressive, but probably not on my list. The MkIII HI I did get was an amazing boost from the SC63 or SC600 in several ways. Anything pulling more watts I'd want more thermal mass (or, in some years, 2400lm at <15W.

Now if you're using it in a cold climate with gloves, the extra cooling and higher temp setting you could use would make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkem View Post
    Now just need the Cw version
    Said no one, ever!
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by radellaf View Post
    If it's in the Mk III body running twice the watts (minus the lower Vf) it's going to step down pretty darn soon. I have my temperature set point down a few degrees to their minimum so I can actually hold it for a few minutes on max, and it starts ramping down within 10-20 seconds.

So, really impressive, but probably not on my list. The MkIII HI I did get was an amazing boost from the SC63 or SC600 in several ways. Anything pulling more watts I'd want more thermal mass (or, in some years, 2400lm at <15W.

Now if you're using it in a cold climate with gloves, the extra cooling and higher temp setting you could use would make a big difference.

yes this won't be the replacement for the 600 mk3 HI

it was a similar situation w/ the sc62 and sc63. the latter had more lumens but upon turn on their throw were about the same, with the 63 having a bigger hotspot. post stepdown their lumens were about the same which is expected since both are thermally-limited and both had similar bodies, so there

it's going to be the same thing all over again w/ the mk4

Flashaholic*

I hope it comes with a bigger reflector than the current version so it has a good mix of flood and throw. An XHP50.2 with a too small reflector = too much flood.
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

I am entirely satisfied with my SC600w Mk3 HI. And this one looks like an overkill to me. Is there any sense in replacing minor thermal issues to several seconds of a twice brighter beam with huge thermal issues? I guess not. Unless you live in a polar area and need an instant hand warmer
    Last edited by vadimax; 10-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Yes vad, always push the boundaries...............eventually we may have 2500lm for several minutes...................stranger things have happened. Not too long back, to even think of having a little flashlight with 500lm was just crazy, never mind 2500 or 4000(D4).

Besides, the 30s or so of crazy makes

I am pretty impressed with my sc63w(not sure output but over 1100lm), the step downs during actual uses are hard to notice . So smooth and effortless, temp gets warm but never hot..............very clever driver . Even most of my sc62d uses are on 145lm(not even the high 320lm!)...............but its nice to have when i need to see that bit more.

Its all fun! I probably only need 200lm, but i will always take more

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Yes vad, always push the boundaries...............eventually we may have 2500lm for several minutes...................stranger things have happened. Not too long back, to even think of having a little flashlight with 500lm was just crazy, never mind 2500 or 4000(D4).

Besides, the 30s or so of crazy makes

I am pretty impressed with my sc63w(not sure output but over 1100lm), the step downs during actual uses are hard to notice . So smooth and effortless, temp gets warm but never hot..............very clever driver . Even most of my sc62d uses are on 145lm(not even the high 320lm!)...............but its nice to have when i need to see that bit more.

Its all fun! I probably only need 200lm, but i will always take more

I’m waiting on the sc64. Interested to know max output. 93-95 cri.

Given it's XP-L2 and high CRI, I'd say ~1100 lumens max.

Oh nice might have to purchase this one too.

Oh nice might have to purchase this one too.

Default Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

Deleted

I'm just in for the new UI. Was all set to get a MK III till y'all wised me up to this, so now I'm impatiently waiting a bit longer for my first Zebralight.

Also waiting. Is the sc600wmkiii hi pocketable does it bulge that much compared to sc63?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kramnor View Post
    Is the sc600wmkiii hi pocketable does it bulge that much compared to sc63?
    Depends on the pocket, and the person wearing it. ;-)

For me, even a bare 18650 would be a bit much for jeans pockets for example, but personally I find the SC600w Mk III HI to be very jacket pocketable, for most definitions of jacket pocket.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast