Thread: Zebralight SC64c

Default Re: Zebralight SC64c

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    But they don't make an LH351D
    Well they don't

https://imgur.com/a/N9scBiB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McBob View Post
    That is like a dream come true! How much to do one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    That is like a dream come true! How much to do one?
    I suspect most modders would charge a premium just because it's so risky and time-consuming. There are no second chances or spare parts if you screw up! I wasn't planning to do another one, but I am much more interested in ZL modding now, so I might order a couple more lights once I've carried it for a little while. I'd also like to see if ZL has any surprises before the end of the year, though they have stated rather emphatically they plan to stick with Cree emitters.

The other day I took some quick comparison shots of the LH351D SC64c and stock XP-L2 EasyWhite installed in an Armytek Tiara Pro. It is fairly obvious in person the Samsung has a significantly less green tint and makes colours pop a lot more, which isn't surprising given it has a much higher R9. There is still no source of true below BBL LH351Ds so it isn't a beautiful rosy 219B, but it's a significant improvement nonetheless. The great thing is the output is very close to stock, so you don't lose out like you would with a 219C. If Zebralight would stop sticking to their 2-step fixation the LH351D would be a much better stock choice for this light, especially since they could tweak the reflector.

Flashaholic*

If Zebralight would stop sticking to their 2-step fixation the LH351D would be a much better stock choice for this light, especially since they could tweak the reflector.
    Since they love using Cree, the XPL-HI would be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Since they love using Cree, the XPL-HI would be a great choice.
    There are no high CRI XP-L HI options in tints most people want, but plenty for XHP35 HI. The only reason we have a 3V light that can take the LH351D is because they insisted on sticking with their 2-step requirement, which left few options for a 3535 emitter. So we ended up with a high CRI emitter that is technically very precisely lousy.

I have a 3000K 90+ XHP35 HI in one of my throwers and it looks fairly decent. It certainly measured better than the SC64c in maukka's tests.

I found the 4000k LH351Ds modded into my ROT66 to have a decent amount of green to them, so they needed a Lee 804 filter over them. Without the filter, they were slightly more green than the XHP50.2 hi cri in my H600FC, but with the filter they were a good bit more rosy and probably closer to the BBL. Recently though I've found that the SST-20 hi cri might be an even better performing CRI monster than the LH351D with better deep red rendering, so I will try those out with a filter over them, though admittedly the output isn't quite as high as the LH351D.

I am not sure what tint bin vinh is using, but I tried them from several sources and the the ones I got from AEDe (T7) have been the nicest so far. Still no below BBL tint bins available though. They're certainly "green", but no more so than an equivalent 219C, and nowhere near as bad as the stock emitter in either SC64c I've owned. I strongly considered waiting on some SST-20s, but after testing 219Cs in the reflector I decided the hotspot would probably be too narrow for an EDC light. For some that may actually be preferable, though.

Pretty much everything I own other than 219B and E21A lights looks better with a 1/8 minusgreen. Maukka ruined all my lights with his filter testing

I gather the H600Fc Mk IV is quite decent in the tint department. I'm still interested to see how it would look with 144AM or E21A though.

Yeah Maukka measured his own H600FC MK4 to be +.0020 above BBL, which isn't bad at all; perfectly acceptable.

Putting a green minus 1/8 or green minus 1/4 over these high CRI emitters has been a godsend, as long as the beam itself has no tint deviation.

SST-20 is even a little bit smaller than 219B/219C, so will be even a bit throwier, but from what I can tell it's extremely well performing. Comparing both LH351D and SST20 4000k hi cri emitters without filters over them, they're both equally as green tint-wise, but when shining them on wood and skin tones, the SST20 is a good margin better. With the filter on, I can see the SST20 looking equally as good as a 219B R9080, and even outperforming it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play with E21A R9080 emitters.

From the test data I've seen shared on the web, the SST-20 does do a bit better in overall Ra and R9 value, which should explain the better wood and skin tone appearance. It apparently tends to have about the same tint deviation above the BBL as the LH351D and 219C, so should look similar in white-wall comparisons.

It also apparently has a hard limit of about 7A. I think two different testers burned out an internal bond wire at that current. That shouldn't be an issue as a potential SC64 alternative emitter, I don't think, but a more typical mod case is FET-driven lights. It's probably not a good option for a D1s.

Flashaholic*

There are no high CRI XP-L HI options in tints most people want...
    Correct, but the only LED's I've had that have a consistently nice tint is the XPL-HI (70+ and 80+ CRI), and the 219B. The 219C and 351D have too much yellow and green. I don't mind magenta, or a little yellow, but green, blue, purple, or too much yellow is a no go for me. I need to get some filters, but I'm not sure how they will work with diffusers.

I ordered a couple more of these to try other configurations, which let me get some personal validation the Samsung mod was actually worthwhile. You be the judge. The stock XP-L2 tint is exactly the same as I've seen in four different samples of the SC64c so far this year. The beam profile is different with the LH351D; hotspot more defined, but floodier coma. It's no sw45k, but it looks positively rosy side-by-side, and the significantly higher R9 is quite evident.

Stock

LH351D

I'm liking that Samsung!!!
    GOOD TINT!

I measured throw since someone mentioned the LH351D version seems to be floodier in the photos. For the stock SC64c I got 127.1m FL1 (maukka got 126m), and for the LH351D 121.7m. There doesn't seem to be any real downside to the mod other than the obvious risk of destroying the light. I think LH351D is by far the most practical choice of emitters here, and a 5000K would probably have a higher output than stock. I am going to experiment with some optics to see how an SST-20 might work though.
    Last edited by Bob_McBob; 10-13-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Flashaholic

Very nice! Which do you prefer between the two, reflector or TIR?

The specific optic there is a 10 degree beaded from Yajiamei. I haven't tried it in the SC64c with the LH351D, but with the stock XP-L2 it really smoothes out the beam and eliminates that puke greek corona around the hotspot that I hate. The way it's installed there, the beam profile is the typical TIR with most of the output concentrated in the hotspot (fuzzy since it's beaded) and very little spill. Output is fairly similar to stock, and it loses about 5m of throw, which is pretty inconsequential. By itself I would say it's an improvement, though I haven't tried it with an LH351D yet. It's still visibly much greener than the 4000K LH351D light I built, but not bad for a 33 cent mod. I'm 99.9% certain it will close up fine with the bezel pressed and the glass lens holding the optic in place.

I also tried a 15 degree which wasn't so great, but the floodier I go, the better it looks, so I suppose you could make a floody SC64c if you wanted. It's also possible to perform this mod on the headlamps, which might improve the tint shift that some find objectionable even through the frosted glass on the current XHP50.2 offerings.

I wonder why Zebralight does not do these modifications themselves? For example, I do not like frosted lenses, but this microlens array is perfect.
    Last edited by vadimax; 10-15-2018 at 04:30 AM.

This would be a pretty major design change by Zebralight's standards, and I'm not sure how well it would be received in the ECC lights since there is a lot of personal preference. I am pretty happy with the beam profile of the LH351D in a the stock reflector, but an SST-20 or even 219B would have a much too narrow hotspot based on my external tests. That's why I was looking into optics instead.

I'll just put this here...

Flashaholic

You are teasing all of us that don't have your skills.

That's a Nichia 219B R9080 sw45k in there. Output is about 505 lumens turn-on vs. 750-770ish stock. Personally I think the beam is a little bit tight, but that might be a bonus for some people. Here's the tint vs. stock (note the sw45k was probably further from the wall).

SEND THIS TO ME RIGHT NOW!! I MUST HAVE!
    GOOD TINT!

That's a Nichia 219B R9080 sw45k in there. Output is about 505 lumens turn-on vs. 750-770ish stock. Personally I think the beam is a little bit tight, but that might be a bonus for some people. Here's the tint vs. stock (note the sw45k was probably further from the wall).

You did this mod??

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    SEND THIS TO ME RIGHT NOW!! I MUST HAVE!
    A few other people have expressed interest in the 219B version since it's a rather unique combination, and I would certainly consider ordering a few more and making them available in limited numbers. I'm still nailing down whether it's better to have a frosted optic, frosted lens, or just give the option of D-C fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    You did this mod??
    Yes, same as the Samsung mod I posted earlier in the thread.

Excellent. How about the potting?

I'll just put this here...

Holly Molly!

you are the first person Ive ever seen post a Zebra w Nichia mod
    Respect!

DreamLight:
    SC32 w the new Zebra driver and N219b 4500k 9080

If you're careful, the potting will remain in place under the board, or worst case you tuck it back in as it's reinserted. I'm still not convinced the potting on top is even there intentionally given the seemingly random coverage of parts on every light I've opened so far (maaaaybe the lead running through it). Last one they added too much and had to dig out one of the screws to insert the reflector!

Default Zebralight SC64c

One of the reasons I like Zebralight is the (fully Potted driver??) if you redo the potting after the mod then am in

If you can do the potting after the mod and depending on the price I want the following hosts with the following LEDs

SC32

SC5

SC64

With

The old Nichia219b 4000k 9050 Hi CRI

Xpg/xpg2 3000k Hi CRI 90+

XPL Hi (the one inside the boss) 4000k 80+ CRI??

And maybe triple nichiab 219 if
    possible?

And a partriiiiiiiidge in a peeeaaaaar treeeeeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    If you can do the potting after the mod and depending on the price I want the following hosts with the following LEDs

SC3

SC5

SC64

With

The old Nichia219b 4000k 9050 Hi CRI

Xpg/xpg2 3000k Hi CRI 90+

XPL Hi (the one inside the boss) 4000k 80+ CRI??

And maybe triple nichiab 219 if
    possible?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast