ML50LX

Speedle860

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Total n00b here, searched for the Mag-Lite ML50LX and didn't find a thread in relation to the issue I've experienced, so I'm throwing up a new post.

I bought the ML50LX LED 2 Cell C in March 2017 and have used it lightly as my "upstairs" light (got sick of a weak Rayovac dimming out on me whilst under the sink and such). As I've had great luck with Mags of various varieties throughout my life I figured I'd make the investment in something I'd hopefully have forever. Definitely love the compact design and substantial brightness - I'm not an aficionado so I'm not really hard to please either though :)

Long story short, the light was working fine until I opened the chamber to check the batteries. When I put them back in, the light no longer powers on. Tried new batteries with no effect. Checked to ensure that the tail cap was fully tightened and that the metal coil is seated, and still nothing. Disassembled and did a visual inspection yet couldn't identify anything glaring.

The only thing that happened that I am aware of is that when I was asleep on the couch my wife knocked it off of our adjacent couch onto our hardwood floor, a drop of little more than a foot I'd say. However, the light was used after this and still worked fine, it was only when the batteries were removed and reinstalled that it failed to power on again.

Anywho, I surmise that the issue is LED burnout, LED module failure, or else the switch is broken, though I can't believe this would be the case when it's been used so lightly and suffered very little trauma. Coincidentally, anything involving the LED wouldn't be covered by warranty.

So I shot them an email and they're asking for me to send it in. I think I'm going to do it to see what they say, but
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and/or any recommendations to repair it without going through that nonsense.

Thanks & Regards,

Speedle

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be 100% incorrect here but if what is you are describing is correct it sounds like you have either a loose and or bad switch. Tighten the head down all the way and shake it closely to your ear. If you hear a rattling noise that sounds "lighter" than the big batteries bouncing around it is a loose switch. I have yet to do anything more to my several LX XML2 Mags but install custom ground optical quality lenses in them. Thus I am not 100% sure how one would tighten the switch.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
WDR65 I see you are newer member yes? Question's regarding lights and their correct usage are more than welcome at any time here. Yes...pay close enough attention and you will see these basic questions and inquiries come up on a semi regular basis. I cannot help but be taken back a bit by how many people have come through the big light forums utterly clueless on how to use a light period let alone a modern day multi feature high output LED light running off of batteries of potentially very dangerous chemistries. This is also the very FIRST report I have read here or over on BLF and the great Germany based Taschenlampen.com of anybody actually having a basic functional issue with ANY of the new gen XML2 C and D Mags. I am sure there are indeed more issues out there it is just I am confident most non flashaholics would just not know what to do with it if something went wrong and just stick it in some corner somewhere it IS a Mag after all.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not trying to be sarcastic but did you put the batteries in with the positive end toward the head of the light?

Was going to ask that too.... done it dozens of times.

Another idea is to unscew the tailcap a wee bit at a time and see if it lights. I have a mini mag that won't turn on until I loosen the tailcap slightly. It turns on and once on I can tighten the tailcap. If it doesn't get used for 2 or 3 days it does it again.

WDR65

Enlightened
CelticCross74,
Not new, I've been on here for over 12 years. I read a lot but don't post much. I just thought without a preface it would be semi insulting to ask someone a question that seems simple. I've put some in backwards myself.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
right on man. The OP's issue actually is the first time I have read of such a thing with the new gen XML2 Mags. Just a matter of time before the new Gen bodies start showing up as hosts for sale all over the place...Hmmm...

Speedle860

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, thank you kindly for the replies, much appreciated.

I could be 100% incorrect here but if what is you are describing is correct it sounds like you have either a loose and or bad switch. Tighten the head down all the way and shake it closely to your ear. If you hear a rattling noise that sounds "lighter" than the big batteries bouncing around it is a loose switch. I have yet to do anything more to my several LX XML2 Mags but install custom ground optical quality lenses in them. Thus I am not 100% sure how one would tighten the switch.

Gave this a shot, I can't seem to hear anything out of the ordinary.

Not trying to be sarcastic but did you put the batteries in with the positive end toward the head of the light?

No offense taken, believe me I've had plenty of these moments hahah. But in this case batteries are installed correctly.

WDR65 I see you are newer member yes? Question's regarding lights and their correct usage are more than welcome at any time here. Yes...pay close enough attention and you will see these basic questions and inquiries come up on a semi regular basis. I cannot help but be taken back a bit by how many people have come through the big light forums utterly clueless on how to use a light period let alone a modern day multi feature high output LED light running off of batteries of potentially very dangerous chemistries. This is also the very FIRST report I have read here or over on BLF and the great Germany based Taschenlampen.com of anybody actually having a basic functional issue with ANY of the new gen XML2 C and D Mags. I am sure there are indeed more issues out there it is just I am confident most non flashaholics would just not know what to do with it if something went wrong and just stick it in some corner somewhere it IS a Mag after all.

I am very surprised to be having such a seemingly random, rudimentary issue - one minute it was fine, and the next it was nonfunctional. I went for this light believing I'd have it for a very long time - I've had great luck with Mags for years.

Was going to ask that too.... done it dozens of times.

Another idea is to unscew the tailcap a wee bit at a time and see if it lights. I have a mini mag that won't turn on until I loosen the tailcap slightly. It turns on and once on I can tighten the tailcap. If it doesn't get used for 2 or 3 days it does it again.

Tried this as well, unfortunately no dice. It's driving me pazzo!

right on man. The OP's issue actually is the first time I have read of such a thing with the new gen XML2 Mags. Just a matter of time before the new Gen bodies start showing up as hosts for sale all over the place...Hmmm...

So, ML customer service got back to me. They've asked me to send it in for warranty repair. I think I'll give it a go unless I can come up with a better plan. If they won't repair it I might need some recommendations to mad-scientist it into something cool.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm interesting. You should be fine with ML's customer service just have to wait the turn around time. Gotta add here I just got the 6 D cell XML2 Ml300L and this thing is AWESOME!! SEVENTY ONE HOUR RUN TIME AT 700+ lumens WHAT??? YUP!! I know I know "Ansi down to 10% etc" but this is still the most output for this long at all the lights different power levels for THIS long "ANSI numbers of course" LED light that I am aware of....I put a glass borofloat lens in it it is STELLAR! Max output in my copy looks WAAAAY over 700 lumens I really wish I had a light meter....Keep us posted OP

Speedle860

Newly Enlightened
Update to anyone interested:

Procrastinated/was busy for a while and waited to send out the light until right before the holidays. Just got my ML50LX back yesterday from customer service and happy to say that it's working with no issues.

Comments from tech: "JL (TL) Light failed electrical test. Light was disassembled and inspected. Replaced switch, cleaned off all contacts and lubricated threads. Light passed all tests and functions per design."

So, looks like a faulty switch was the culprit - hopefully it's not a widespread issue for other users. At least all I had to pay was shipping. Glad to have a functioning light back :)

VeeBee

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here.

I just ordered an ML50LX 3 C cell. I hope to learn from all of you about the merits/demerits of this light.

hsa

Enlightened
It is a great light. Don't forget to unscrew the tailcap about a quarter turn if you are not going to use it for a while because of the parasitic drain. What color did you get?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, great light! The only thing I would add, is to avoid alkaline batteries, which will leak sooner or later. There are a bunch of good options, including AA Eneloops or L91 Energizer lithiums in adapters, full size NiMH C cells and even 18650 or 21700 Li-ions in adapters.

VeeBee

Newly Enlightened
It is a great light. Don't forget to unscrew the tailcap about a quarter turn if you are not going to use it for a while because of the parasitic drain. What color did you get?

I got [FONT=&quot]Foliage Green. Nice color, for a change from the iconic black. Thank you for the tips![/FONT]

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got this sorted out! I have an ML50L that I have come to really like for around the house use and dog walking duties. I run 2xAA Eneloops in adapters and it seems to do really well. Mine has been dropped A TON and functions like new so hopefully your issue was random. Enjoy your light sir!