Headlight Hybrid

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
My 2008 Toyota Sequoia is in need of new headlights due to the lens cover starting to haze. I know from past experience that the aftermarket headlights from my Sienna looked good but the 'optics'/reflective surface had the light going everywhere except where it was supposed to be.

I can get a set of new aftermarket headlights for the Sequoia for about $100. I was thinking of using the new clear cover and combining it with the OEM reflective portion of my original headlights vs. $400-$500 for a new set of headlights. Do you think the clear coat of the aftermarket headlights is subpar to the OEM as well? Will I have hazing in 4-5 years vs. 9-10 with the OEM?

Be gentle,
Jon

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think the clear coat of the aftermarket headlights is subpar to the OEM as well?
Yes. Even the lens itself is subpar with lower transmissivity and potential optical distortion. It might not even fit very well over the rest of the lamp assembly because it was designed to fit their "OEM-style" toy headlamp, not your genuine Toyota (or Koito/NAL or Stanley) headlamp.

Will I have hazing in 4-5 years vs. 9-10 with the OEM?
Sooner. 1-2 years. And a ruined reflector from condensation issues due to poor sealing.

The lamps themselves are old enough that you'll really benefit from new OEM lamps, what with the reflector assembly having degraded from age and heat.

Also: Why do you want to give those toy lamp makers any of your money?

Be gentle
Just being straightforward.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
The preferred solution has been new OEM lamps.

There was a thread on here about reconditioning the lenses. While not ideal, if I was in a bind money wise, (kind of like I am at the moment), I would look into that....

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep.

There was a thread on here about reconditioning the lenses. While not ideal, if I was in a bind money wise, (kind of like I am at the moment), I would look into that....
Several. And the results don't last extremely long, don't truly return the lenses to "like new" condition, and don't address the reflector degradation in lamps that old.

Olathe Toyota (in Olathe Kansas) sells the complete lamp assemblies for $232.19 each. I've ordered parts from them before (new lamp assemblies for an '01 Corolla).

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened

This thread confirmed what I thought. Our 08 Sequoia and 09 Highlander headlights are hazing like clock work. Fog lights and all other lights still look good.

jzchen

Enlightened
Thanks for the link Alaric! I've ordered from Camelback in AZ the last time, when I needed to repair the headlight mounts on the Prius v. The lady that runs it gives free shipping above $150 (I think) for box of a limited size, so I took advantage. Ended up requesting to add a few items and it took some time because of that. Cheapest Toyota parts I've seen is from a place called midatlantictoyotaparts, not sure the exact link. There are mixed reviews on them and no experience personally, yet...

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread confirmed what I thought. Our 08 Sequoia and 09 Highlander headlights are hazing like clock work. Fog lights and all other lights still look good.

The fog lamps don't get quite as much sun exposure, being mounted low and inset a little. This means they don't get the UV light through the lens, then reflected off the reflector and back through the lens again nearly as badly as the headlamps. Also, used correctly (which should means "pretty much never used") they don't get the heat from the bulb, either.

Turn signals and other lamps also don't generate as much heat as the headlamps, either, which is why they also survive better.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My 2008 Toyota Sequoia is in need of new headlights due to the lens cover starting to haze. I know from past experience that the aftermarket headlights from my Sienna looked good but the 'optics'/reflective surface had the light going everywhere except where it was supposed to be.

Yep, the aftermarket headlamps are junk in every respect, from performance to durability to plain old mechanical fit/finish.

I can get a set of new aftermarket headlights for the Sequoia for about $100. I was thinking of using the new clear cover and combining it with the OEM reflective portion of my original headlights

This won't work. The lenses are really not designed or intended to be replaceable. Even if you were trying to swap new (or less-old) factory lenses on, as soon as you remove the lens you practically destroy the headlamp. It's a lot more difficult than it might seem to get a complete, dependable seal, and most materials that might lend themselves to that task will also tend to cause other problems (outgas and fog or attack the reflective material). Speaking of the reflective material: it degrades with usage, too, and its efficiency is badly deteriorated before you can even detect anything by looking at it, so if the lenses are too far gone to revive, it really is time for new genuine headlamps (or used ones better than the ones you already have), or else it's time for some effort at rejuvenating the ones you have.

jzchen

Enlightened
I have some 8 items in a "dream" shopping cart. Just in case someone is to use this as a source for Toyota parts, it is actually slightly cheaper at http://www.oempartworld.com. A few items cheaper here, a few cheaper at midatlantic, that sort of thing. Maybe save you in the order of 1 to 2 %. Again no personal experience with these two, but I think Camelback won't ship large items/body parts. (I think I mentioned a long wait, but I did add items later in her defense).

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
Contacted "my" dealership that I normally go through for two sets of headlights (2008 Sequoia/2009 Highlander) $808.10 shipped

Contact Mid Atlantic Toyota Parts $740.66 shipped

Contacted Central Atlantic Toyota which distributes parts to all the dealerships in the surrounding states. Recommend Conicelli Toyota. With coupon code of 10% was able to pick up everything for $673.95 shipped!

Extra savings will help go towards install and aiming by my local state inspector who uses a beam setter to meet required specifications.

jzchen

Enlightened
Can get Toyota instructions from techinfo.toyota.com for $15. I noticed for my iQ it involves a large sheet of paper, a good flat surface to park the car, a good distance from a wall 90 degrees from the ground, and a pen/marker/pencil.....

jzchen

Enlightened
Recommend Conicelli Toyota. With coupon code of 10% was able to pick up everything for $673.95 shipped!

That's a great price! I'm on their site and liking it already. Every website that I visited I look for the iQ fog light kit. When I put in the part number in their search it also popped up the two fog light bezels which I had yet to find separate from the whole fog light kit! (Still can't find any 10% coupon code....)

oempartworld also shows the fog light bezels separately....

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coupons here: https://www.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/specials/service.htm
CPF is not responsible for validity or non-validity of coupons, or for the site being the Conicelli Toyota everyone's talking about in this thread.

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
That's a great price! I'm on their site and liking it already. Every website that I visited I look for the iQ fog light kit. When I put in the part number in their search it also popped up the two fog light bezels which I had yet to find separate from the whole fog light kit! (Still can't find any 10% coupon code....)

oempartworld also shows the fog light bezels separately....

APPRECIATION10 at checkout

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you! I really "APPRECIATE" it!!!

I have ordered twice now from Conicelli.

I wanted to note they have discount codes sent out to their mailing list quite frequently, (a plus).

AND

The second order I missed a part. In the evening I sent an email (Friday night) after I confirmed that is most likely the last piece I needed. I called Saturday morning and was informed that online orders are supported M-F starting at 7:30 am. I woke early this morning, around 3:30 am, 6:30 am their local time. I got distracted reading internet news, and ended up calling at around 8 am their time to follow up my email. When I called the part was already added to my order, and I was informed that an invoice was already sent! What great customer service! Some places' online shops are run by one person and it takes time for things like adding a part to get resolved, but here it was pretty much instant comparatively!

Last edited: