Fake EBay Eneloop Pro AAA's

HighLight

Enlightened
I received a package of 4 Eneloop Pro AAA's that I ordered on EBay and were shipped from China. When I popped them into my SkyRC MC3000 charger to do an initial refresh before first using them one battery wouldn't charge and was defective out of the package. This sent of alarm bells for me and I checked to see if they were fakes. Unfortunately they were but they were very very good fakes, By that I mean good in the packaging sense not the performance sense. In EBays defense they did issue me a full refund,,not the seller but Ebay themselves. Because of this I will continue to shop Ebay but not from the seller of these fake batteries. Here's the rundown of what I found and hopefully this info will prevent others from being duped.

1. One battery was DOA straight from the pack. I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen with genuine Eneloops but I guess anything is possible but there's more.
2. There were 4 small vent holes around the anode. I could be wrong but I believe genuine Eneloops have the vent holes covered and are not visible.
3. Beside one being doa the others charged up to between 500 and 650 mah. Eneloop Pro AAA's are rated at 900 mah min with 950 avg capacity.
4. While the packaging was near perfect they made one spelling mistake. On the battery label they said " charging or installing this battery
backwards may cause it to explode or lesk" It is suppose to be LEAK not LESK! Isn't it funny how spelling errors usually trip them up?
5. On the actual cardboard blister package the 4 AAA's came in it had the model number for AA's at the top and not the model number for AAA's. Yes the devil is in the details!

The picture they showed in the listing was of the real thing but what arrived at my house was anything but. The sad thing is that the seller had many positive approvals from people who bought their Eneloop batteries but I guess unless they knew what to look for or had an analyzing charger like I did they never knew they received fakes.

HighLight

Enlightened
Can you tell us the eBay sellers name, so that no one else is caught out?

I am reluctant to name a specific vendor because he may have well been duped also. I can say that someone went through the trouble of professionally copying the Eneloops so I would say they are being widely distributed and sold by many Chinese vendors (and maybe other countries). The only telltale sign I can see on the actual battery is that the word "leak" is spelled "lesk" The fact that it only accepts a 538ma charge is a give away too.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they weigh less than real Eneloops.

I bought one of those 0.1g electronic scales just to test the weight of battery`s

Lighter usually means less active ingredient so lower capacity.

John.

Last edited:

HighLight

Enlightened
Do they weigh less than real Eneloops.

I bought one of those 0.1g electronic scales just to test the weight of battery`s

Lighter usually means less active ingredient so lower capacity.

John.

My scale only reads to full grams and the fake eneloop actually weighs 1 gram more then the genuine one. Maybe it has a thicker tin canister and that accounts for the extra weight?