Olight - R50        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 94

Thread: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

  1. #1

    Default 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Hi all,


    This light is truly amazing. It fires a wall of usable bright light allowing you to "SEE" over a mile!


    1.5.18 UPDATE


    1.13.18 UPDATE
    How to Program the BLF GT (NarsilM)



    Be sure to let us know what you think!
    Last edited by vestureofblood; 01-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Very aptly named.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

  3. #3

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Such an amazing video! This is the best I've seen at representing the throw of a flashlight.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the northernmost Sweden
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Thanks for the video!

    For sure this is an amazing flashlight. My best throwers are Olight SR52UT and Thrunite TN32. And I am tempted to get Thrunite TN42...
    However; for practical use the size really matter. While these are very fun to use lights like Armytek Predator more often will be carried out. And I personally consider 4 cell as the limit for a flashlight. My reasoning is that I don't want to use a light which cells can't be charged at same time, except from as using two chargers side by side.
    A flashlight with this battery capacity therefore should have a batterypack(or the possility to charge together), in my opinion.

    By the way: what is the max lumen output of BLF giga, and is this light regulated at the highest level?
    Last edited by Swedpat; 09-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Wow! She is big....... But she is BAAAAD! What a thrower!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,503

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Great Video Matt.

  7. #7
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,985

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Awesome vid...............awesome light! thanks for sharing

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    WOOHOO!!! Awesome! I definitely giggled, then straight out laughed at the stellar performance! I cannot wait to get mine! Thanks, Matt.
    Prometheans #253

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* Capolini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,936

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Thanks Matt. I have read some of the thread on BLF about this light. Very impressive throw.

    I may have to strap it on CAPO my Husky! Could be a challenge to carry for an old man like me, even w/ a strap!
    Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. Capolini-11.27.2017
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017









  10. #10
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,985

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Thanks Matt. I have read some of the thread on BLF about this light. Very impressive throw.

    I may have to strap it on CAPO my Husky! Could be a challenge to carry for an old man like me, even w/ a strap!
    If there was ever a capo de capo light...............this is it

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* Capolini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,936

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    ^^^^

    Not anymore. I am selling ALL my throwers,,,I love my K60vn so much, I will be using it EVERY night!!

    GIGGLES is amazing. With that said lets put things in perspective. The TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are ALSO amazing.

    Look at the difference in size compared to the aforementioned lights. The reflector and the light itself.These guys obviously know how to build a light and with that said you would expect the results they are getting considering the massive size of the torch. I guess it is a combination of their skill and the enormity of the torch.

    I wonder if there is a way to measure size/LUX ratio?!!! It would be interesting to see which torches throw further in respect to their size.
    Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. Capolini-11.27.2017
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017









  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,274

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    ^^^^

    Not anymore. I am selling ALL my throwers,,,I love my K60vn so much, I will be using it EVERY night!!

    GIGGLES is amazing. With that said lets put things in perspective. The TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are ALSO amazing.

    Look at the difference in size compared to the aforementioned lights. The reflector and the light itself.These guys obviously know how to build a light and with that said you would expect the results they are getting considering the massive size of the torch. I guess it is a combination of their skill and the enormity of the torch.

    I wonder if there is a way to measure size/LUX ratio?!!! It would be interesting to see which torches throw further in respect to their size.
    One thing to keep in mind with the BLF GT is that is not designed for 100% throw.I forget the numbers and i'm not digging around BLF but it is somewhere 75% throw and 25% spill. It is designed to be a practical thrower not a pencil beam light.

    You can easily swap in a de-domed XPG2 or Oslon black flat and change the driver and get more throw but that isn't the point of the light.

  13. #13
    *Flashaholic* Capolini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,936

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with the BLF GT is that is not designed for 100% throw.I forget the numbers and i'm not digging around BLF but it is somewhere 75% throw and 25% spill. It is designed to be a practical thrower not a pencil beam light.

    You can easily swap in a de-domed XPG2 or Oslon black flat and change the driver and get more throw but that isn't the point of the light.
    I understand what you are saying. The same could be said[spill/throw ratio] For the TN42vn XHP35 HI and the TK61vn V4 XML2 PDT. I have both these lights and they are not pencil beams and have plenty of peripheral light.

    Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K
    Lumen: 2400
    Lux: 775
    Throw: 1760m

    My TK61vn V4 is ~ 1800 lumens/770Kcd/1754m/1918yds.
    Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. Capolini-11.27.2017
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017









  14. #14

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Thanks for the video!

    By the way: what is the max lumen output of BLF giga, and is this light regulated at the highest level?
    Yes its fully regulated. about 2.5 amp on turbo. This light would not fit in my lumen tube, but I tried to test it anyway. I got about 1900 lumens. Texas Ace said he got closer to 2400 IIRC. I would bet the 2400 is much closer.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

  15. #15
    KITROBASKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    2,619

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Looking forward to the sequel
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 09-30-2017 at 09:55 PM.

  16. #16
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    18,985

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    ^^^^

    Not anymore. I am selling ALL my throwers,,,I love my K60vn so much, I will be using it EVERY night!!

    .

    wow!!! I knew you would like the k60vn(its hard not to as its *beepin* awesome(, but selling your other throwers..............

    It is a nice beam!

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,274

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    I understand what you are saying. The same could be said[spill/throw ratio] For the TN42vn XHP35 HI and the TK61vn V4 XML2 PDT. I have both these lights and they are not pencil beams and have plenty of peripheral light.

    Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K
    Lumen: 2400
    Lux: 775
    Throw: 1760m

    My TK61vn V4 is ~ 1800 lumens/770Kcd/1754m/1918yds.
    Given equal lumens and the same emitter and given the same reflector geometry (spill/throw) The bigger diameter head will always throw more

    Nothing wrong with the TN42 and Tk61 but they are designed differently

  18. #18

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Thanks for the video!
    For sure this is an amazing flashlight. My best throwers are Olight SR52UT and Thrunite TN32. And I am tempted to get Thrunite TN42...
    However; for practical use the size really matter. While these are very fun to use lights like Armytek Predator more often will be carried out. And I personally consider 4 cell as the limit for a flashlight. My reasoning is that I don't want to use a light which cells can't be charged at same time, except from as using two chargers side by side.
    A flashlight with this battery capacity therefore should have a batterypack(or the possility to charge together), in my opinion.

    By the way: what is the max lumen output of BLF giga, and is this light regulated at the highest level?
    It was done purely for balance, from what I read. It could run with 4 cells, the long tube, and an empty carrier (8 not necessary). Or a short tube (availability tbd). It draws something less than 3A IIRC.
    But if you shorten it to 4 cells, or make it battery pack, then the light will be super head-heavy. At that point it'd have to be redesigned into a different form factor entirely. As the goal was to make a mega thrower *flashlight*, 8 cells gives a good balance in hand.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    I understand what you are saying. The same could be said[spill/throw ratio] For the TN42vn XHP35 HI and the TK61vn V4 XML2 PDT. I have both these lights and they are not pencil beams and have plenty of peripheral light.

    Spec 1 XHP35 HI CW 6500K
    Lumen: 2400
    Lux: 775
    Throw: 1760m

    My TK61vn V4 is ~ 1800 lumens/770Kcd/1754m/1918yds.
    ive got both the lights you mentioned, both vn modded...
    if that video is any indication of the wall of light, and sheer throw this light has, then the 2 above mentioned lights, especially the TK 61vn, will not even be in the same league as this new GT gigathrower...
    thats the only thing i dont like about my tk61vn ....it doesent throw a broad enough beam to be usable in real life...
    my tn42 vn on the other hand, puts out way more lumens, 250k more lux than my tk61vn, both measured by me , on the same meter, at the exact same distance, and has a much more real life usable beam for sure..
    thats the only way to know for sure when talking lux numbers...everything has to be measured back to back, on the same meter..
    Last edited by hahoo; 09-30-2017 at 06:45 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Cool vid VOB!!

    Yes let me clarify the cells and carriers for the GT
    With a head this big and heavy it needed balancing. like if you pick up a long heavy tool like a sledge hammer, holding it while walking to the place you want to use it, easiest is to carryit in such a way the weight is balanced, holding it at the end far away from the heavy metal hammering part makes if very hard to carry.

    So we needed 4 cells to get to the desired voltage.
    And now the carriers connect in parallel, meaning one can use it with 1 carrier empty, preferably the on closest to the head and the GT has a nice balanced weight.
    If one needs maximum runtimes it can work with 2 times 4 cells doubling the time one has to play with it between charging.


    About comparison with TN42 (vn or not)
    It is really cool, a lot of smart people did a lot of calculations for the reflector.
    Based on the simple spec 120mm at the widest.
    In the end the ideal depth was calculated via different methods (and we needed to know the depth in order to design the head around it)
    It is less then 0.5% the same ratio as the TN42 reflector IIRC
    Very cool IMHO that a bunch of enthusiasts calculate and get this close to the reflector the reigning LED reflector based throw king (at that time ) had.

    The GT used in the video is a prototype with a prototype reflector, Lumintop has smoothened the reflector surface more, so the throw we see on the prototype is less then on actual production.
    I think it is safe to say, there is no way a TN42, K70 or BK-FA09S can beat the GT in throw with just their reflector.

    And for longer time use, the TN42 is too unbalanced for me. I had to do things I needed light at greater distances, I wanted to dump the TN42 for a modded Courui D01. it is easier to carry, the TN4 is too front heavy for anything longer then half an hour, so even on that regard I think the GT might be more practical.
    I ended up hanging a S2+ at the tailcap of the TN42 to balance it out better, which worked out OK

  21. #21
    KITROBASKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    2,619

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Invaluable information from The Miller. Once again, actual use for an extended time can really inform us as to the utility of any tool. Sure this delightful device is fun, but it can also be truly useful for some people and that is what is really important.

    For our terrain here where we live, the Eagtac large reflector single 18650 flashlight (M25C2) along with a Nitecore TM36, pretty much don't get used because it is more than needed, and the increased weight is burdensome for the hour or so most of our night-walks take.

    One would think that this flashlight should be sold with clear, explicit warnings about the filled battery carriers when handled outside of the flashlight. Should someone press the contact end of the carrier to a conductive surface that would conform to the placement of the positive and negative, I fear the worst. Is there a safety feature to prevent a short circuit?

    This is a fun flashlight for sure, and I have not gone to the other forum to read in more detail about it, so I am really pretty ignorant about the particulars. Looking forward to learning more about this here on CPF. Thanks!
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 10-01-2017 at 07:15 AM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Invaluable information from The Miller. Once again, actual use for an extended time can really inform us as to the utility of any tool. Sure this delightful device is fun, but it can also be truly useful for some people and that is what is really important.

    For our terrain here where we live, the Eagtac large reflector single 18650 flashlight (M25C2) along with a Nitecore TM36, pretty much don't get used because it is more than needed, and the increased weight is burdensome for the hour or so most of our night-walks take.

    One would think that this flashlight should be sold with clear, explicit warnings about the filled battery carriers when handled outside of the flashlight. Should someone press the contact end of the carrier to a conductive surface that would conform to the placement of the positive and negative, I fear the worst. Is there a safety feature to prevent a short circuit?

    This is a fun flashlight for sure, and I have not gone to the other forum to read in more detail about it, so I am really pretty ignorant about the particulars. Looking forward to learning more about this here on CPF. Thanks!
    Just my 2c . This is not the flashlight i would take for your regular walk , but the flashlight when you need to inspect or just look something at over a mile away ...

    About the possible short of the carriers when loading cells you're right , a warning should be added somewhere on the carrier.

  23. #23
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Miller View Post
    Cool vid VOB!!

    Yes let me clarify the cells and carriers for the GT
    With a head this big and heavy it needed balancing. like if you pick up a long heavy tool like a sledge hammer, holding it while walking to the place you want to use it, easiest is to carryit in such a way the weight is balanced, holding it at the end far away from the heavy metal hammering part makes if very hard to carry.

    So we needed 4 cells to get to the desired voltage.
    And now the carriers connect in parallel, meaning one can use it with 1 carrier empty, preferably the on closest to the head and the GT has a nice balanced weight.
    If one needs maximum runtimes it can work with 2 times 4 cells doubling the time one has to play with it between charging.


    About comparison with TN42 (vn or not)
    It is really cool, a lot of smart people did a lot of calculations for the reflector.
    Based on the simple spec 120mm at the widest.
    In the end the ideal depth was calculated via different methods (and we needed to know the depth in order to design the head around it)
    It is less then 0.5% the same ratio as the TN42 reflector IIRC
    Very cool IMHO that a bunch of enthusiasts calculate and get this close to the reflector the reigning LED reflector based throw king (at that time ) had.

    The GT used in the video is a prototype with a prototype reflector, Lumintop has smoothened the reflector surface more, so the throw we see on the prototype is less then on actual production.
    I think it is safe to say, there is no way a TN42, K70 or BK-FA09S can beat the GT in throw with just their reflector.

    And for longer time use, the TN42 is too unbalanced for me. I had to do things I needed light at greater distances, I wanted to dump the TN42 for a modded Courui D01. it is easier to carry, the TN4 is too front heavy for anything longer then half an hour, so even on that regard I think the GT might be more practical.
    I ended up hanging a S2+ at the tailcap of the TN42 to balance it out better, which worked out OK
    TN42 unbalanced? Were are you holding the TN42 at the tail cap? If you grab it around the cooling fin were the E-Switch is normally to control the levels, most of the weight is in the palm of my hand. Front heavy? Holding at the battery tube before the fin, it feels (the weight) still mostly in my hand.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the northernmost Sweden
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments!!!!!

    Yes its fully regulated. about 2.5 amp on turbo. This light would not fit in my lumen tube, but I tried to test it anyway. I got about 1900 lumens. Texas Ace said he got closer to 2400 IIRC. I would bet the 2400 is much closer.
    Interesting. The output then is about twice as Olight SR52UT, but 8times the hotspot intensity! Now we are talking about super focused beam!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bdm82 View Post
    It was done purely for balance, from what I read. It could run with 4 cells, the long tube, and an empty carrier (8 not necessary). Or a short tube (availability tbd). It draws something less than 3A IIRC.
    But if you shorten it to 4 cells, or make it battery pack, then the light will be super head-heavy. At that point it'd have to be redesigned into a different form factor entirely. As the goal was to make a mega thrower *flashlight*, 8 cells gives a good balance in hand.
    I understand. And with 8cells the runtime has to be decent at the highest level. That's good!

  25. #25

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    The LED in this light is the exact one from this test, I had to swap out the stock CW emitter shortly after I got the prototype as something caused the LED to get a burnt spot (not surprising considering how many times and people have taken it apart and put it back together, simply a prototype issue).

    The final LED should be very close to this as well.



    EnderMan on BLF also pointed out a great aspheric lens that with some work I think could almost drop into Giggles. With a weaiven (SP?) collar it could possibly get almost twice the throw as it has now.

    Talk about modding potential!

    That doesn't even talk about the ability to drop in an XHP70.2 with only a resistor swap on the driver and a new mcpcb.

    Or swapping to a flat black and setting your sights on 2mcd.

    Modders will love this light. Heck it has enough room for a buttload of flooder LED's and optics and the batteries and carriers to handle them! You could fit 23 20mm TIR optics in this head. Or 23 triple mcpcb's.

    Hmm, 23 x 3 = 69 XP-L2 LED's

    Or go full mule with 16mm xhp70 mcpcb's, it would fit 39 of them.

  26. #26

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    I question why ultra-throwers should be in "flashlight" form factor. A "lantern" form with a rectangular shape and a carry handle on top is easier to hold or put down and aim. You are going to be standing still "sweeping" the horizon looking for something, not running or climbing.

  27. #27

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    How do you switch from "up" to "down" before reaching the end of range? Needs dual switches so you don't have to remember which way it last went.

    Why does each battery need a spring? Why not screw on one end with a push & quarter turn and have a single spring on the central axis?

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the northernmost Sweden
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    I question why ultra-throwers should be in "flashlight" form factor. A "lantern" form with a rectangular shape and a carry handle on top is easier to hold or put down and aim. You are going to be standing still "sweeping" the horizon looking for something, not running or climbing.
    I agree. And I think many flashlights from 4x18650 and larger should be like that. What's wrong with the typical 4D lantern design? I find it strange that the flashlight manufacturers have not made high quality LED models based on that design.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    I am on the list as I want to giggle too.
    I'm also hoping a modder comes out with a wheel kit for it. LOL

  30. #30
    Flashaholic Pöbel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: 1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

    Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    I question why ultra-throwers should be in "flashlight" form factor. A "lantern" form with a rectangular shape and a carry handle on top is easier to hold or put down and aim. You are going to be standing still "sweeping" the horizon looking for something, not running or climbing.
    I agree. But this is personal preference. We had a vote on BLF and the majority wanted a more regular flash light design and this is what it's gonna be. In the end it does not matter as the light is mainly for giggles anyways.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •