Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The TigerLight Upgrade Thread

Flashaholic*

Default Re: The TigerLight Upgrade Thread

thank you so much for the update. I can relax a little now.
    John

OK. I know this is crazy, but in the middle of all of this work I am doing for all of the people who signed up for the first build run, I keep thinking of a couple extra mods for the TigerLight. Well, three, actually. Here they are:

1. A lot of space is lost in the battery comparment due to the thickness of the two mated snap-connectors (battery, and battery connector) and the wire which is squeezed down underneath the battery pack. Now this actually amounts to enough extra room so that if it wasn't used up this way, a person could fit 2 full length A batteries in, instead of the standard 4/5A. One possibility is to use the Sanyo HR-AUX 2700 mAh batteries to get an hour and a half of runtime with the stock LA. The other possibility is to use CheapBatteryPacks CBP 2100 mAh A batteries to get 36 minutes of runtime with the WA1111.

2. OR, it just so happens that FOUR stacks of AA batteries fits just about perfectly in the same hole that THREE stacks of A batteries fits in. Together with the extra length, that means an 8 cell battery packs of AA batteries. I'm leaning towards the CBP 1800 batteries, which can deliver up to 10 amps, so that means their voltage will hold well at 3 or 4 amps. So one possibility is to direct drive the WA1185 with this pack. It wouldn't be as bright as with the 9 cell KAN 1050 pack, but it would run longer. Something on the order of 30 minutes, with about the brightness of the Tiger11. So this is more or less redundant as it is more or less a Tiger11. However, the other possibility here, is to use this in conjuntion with one of Willie Hunt's LVR3I's set at 6.0-6.3 volts, and drive the WA1160 to make a regulated Tiger60! Again, it would have more or less the same output as the Tiger11, but it would not dim over the run, and it would be immune to overdischarging and insta-flashing. The key issue would be where to put the LVR3I. I have a few ideas.

In any case, the leads to the pack would have to be direct soldered, or be replaced with something small like a Dean's Ultra, that could fit in the space along the side of the square pack in the round body. Also, some small amount of cushioning would be a good idea down at the bottom of the light/battery pack interface. Thin layer of foam or something.

3. Fast charger using a configuration that is NOT constant current, but charges to a specific voltage with more current the lower the voltage. The voltage is set so that you get just the right trickle current at full charge. I'm not too enamored of this idea at the moment due to the work involved, but I do have a circuit designed. I just need to proto-type it. Eh. I don't know. I keep hoping that TL will release a fast charger. It's definitely needed.

Just received my TigerLight mods. Will post more later in the next few days (busy at work + need to sleep), but here is my brief first impression of the T85.

HOLY CRAP! The T85...

... with the orange peel reflector
    ... with the lamp still needing to be adjusted a bit (in focus)
    ... with whatever charge is in the battery (partially cycled, I believe)

is BRIGHTER than my SureFire M6 HOLA!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

I don't have a light meter--the SureFire has a broader beam, but the T85 throws a tad farther (at these crazy distances, I can't tell for sure).

Ceiling bounce test--the T85 is brighter--but you'd kind of have to compare the two lights side by side. I asked someone else for their opinion, and they said the same thing: the T85 lights up the room a tad more.

Wow!
    Thanks Jim! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

Light weights [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    575 grams - Tiger85 w/ UCL
    540 grams - stock TigerLight
    450 grams - SureFire M6

Hi All, firstly I would like to thank Jim (Frame57) for doing the mod to my TL charger ready for the TL85. I would also like to say a BIG BIG thanx to Jim (Mr Sexton himself) for his wonderful Mod :-) I have had my TL85 now for a few weeks, and have been having probs with getting a few decent pic's both taken, and posted, but I am now in possession so thought the decent thing to do would be to share :-) Before this I would like to say that changing the necessary components was, and is a piece of cake, and really no technical knowledge is needed at all. Converting from stock TL to TL85 takes me all of a minute to do :-)

Both Jim's have been very helpful with ALL questions I have fired their way, and believe me I have asked a few :-) Overall service from both has been faultless.

A WARNING!!

This is well documented in Jim's documentation supplied with his mod's and only silly people like me will do this, but just beware! Leaving the torch for a good 15 mins is a MUST after charge as I've blown 2 lamps by firing her up too soon. I lost a lamp only last night after 10 mins off the charge so I think in my humble opinion that maybe 30 mins might be a safer bet to be safe ?!

I won't give the TL85 a review, I will simply say it is AWESOME!! ........ no other word available to describe it. I am a new Flashaholic and before my TL my only other tool is a Surefire E2e, the one that started the ball rolling! Here is 3 pictures. I ONLY have the E2e to compare to (lol) but hopefully it's a beam/torch you all might know. The pic's were all taken with a Canon IXUS400 and all with the same settings. The sheds are over 100ft away.

The Poor E2e:

Stock TL:

And my baby, the TL85:-)

I could be one of the most unusual Flashaholics out there, but hey! whatever tickles your whistle if you ask me ...lol. I am a London cabbie who works nights and my TL85 helps me get thru the night with constant "wow"'s and the occasional giggle as I shine the thing way into the distance only to be once again surprised that the spot has reached its intended target ...lol

I LOVE IT!!

Paul.

Wow, that is a great comparison set of pics! Thanks! Im tempted to upgrade my order from the 1274 to the 11 or 85....

Can you please reiterate the runtimes? And by runtime i mean, the time for a fresh charged TL to the point where the light should be turned off (not completely dead) and put back on the charger. Id like to know for:
    - TL with stock battery and stock bulb
    - TL with WA1274 and stock battery
    - TL with WA1111 and KAN 1800 battery
    - TL with WA1185 and KAN 1050 battery
    Again, im looking for the runtimes being freshly charged to NOT dead but to the point where it should no longer be used and put back into the charger. Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already, but there are 22 pages in this thread and id like a definitive answer. Thanks guys!

[ QUOTE ]
    MTFD17 said:
    Can you please reiterate the runtimes? And by runtime i mean, the time for a fresh charged TL to the point where the light should be turned off (not completely dead) and put back on the charger. Id like to know for:
    - TL with stock battery and stock bulb
    - TL with WA1274 and stock battery
    - TL with WA1111 and KAN 1800 battery
    - TL with WA1185 and KAN 1050 battery
    Again, im looking for the runtimes being freshly charged to NOT dead but to the point where it should no longer be used and put back into the charger. Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already, but there are 22 pages in this thread and id like a definitive answer. Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all in the summary thread, BTW. There is a link to the summary thread in the Signup B/S/T thread. But I am happy to list them again. Probably a good idea:

stock TL: 66 minutes.

stock TL battery running 1274: 35-41 minutes? I got 41 minutes, but SilverFox only got 35, IIRC. Hard to say. There are different stock battery packs out there and they are in different states of capacity from abusive or good treatment. dano has this setup and posted about it above but didn't do a runtime test yet.

Tiger11: 29 minutes
    Tiger85: 17 minutes

Paul,

Thanks so much for this review and these beamshots. If anyone else wants to post TL mod pictures/beamshots, I can host the images online.

Prolepsis,

Have you tried your smooth 1940 w/1185 yet? That was one of the best reflector/lamp combinations I have sent out so far, in terms of the "white wall" performance. Almost perfectly centered, IIRC. Plus, your pack will get better with a few more cyclings. Glad you are impressed. BTW, what's with the sleepy graemlin before the Tiger85 and U2 in your sig line? Are you trying to tell me something? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's not MY fault your harness took forever to get to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Jim! As much as I want a super bright handheld, I need the runtime on scenes. Ill stick with the 1274 on the stock pack. Hope you get them in soon!!

[ QUOTE ]
    js said:
    Prolepsis,
    Have you tried your smooth 1940 w/1185 yet? That was one of the best reflector/lamp combinations I have sent out so far, in terms of the "white wall" performance. Almost perfectly centered, IIRC. Plus, your pack will get better with a few more cyclings. Glad you are impressed. BTW, what's with the sleepy graemlin before the Tiger85 and U2 in your sig line? Are you trying to tell me something? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's not MY fault your harness took forever to get to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try the smooth tonight and report back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hehe, oops, I forgot to update my sig line--I was "dreaming" about the T85, but now she's here!

Now I don't know what to do with the stock LA and batteries anymore, lol. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"Now I don't know what to do with the stock LA and batteries anymore, lol"

Yeah I must also admit my stock TL battery and Lamp only came out of retirement for those pic's ...lol

Flashaholic*

Wow!

If you go down to the woods today,
    You're sure of a big surprise.
    Cos Uncle Frank,
    Is having a, NO, thats not it, STOP THAT RHYME!

PaulDW & Naromtap where having a TL85 vs SFM6 burnout, I'm sure Paul will tell you more about that but all I wanna know is will the TL85 upgrade be made avail again Jim?

Default Re: The TigerLight Upgrade Thread *DELETED*

Post deleted by Paul_DW

Looks like the M6 got owned. Is that the LOLA or the HOLA?

Soz but I give in :-( I am in need of sleep and have been trying to post 2 pics. One, a beamshot of the Surefire M6, the other of the TL85 :-) I will return after advice, and more importantly sleep ...lol.

Flashaholic

Paul,

The best way to prevent blowing your Tiger85 is to measure the open circuit voltage of the battery at the charging contacts. If it's 12.5Vdc or less you should be good to go,
    I've never blown a WA 1185 bulb when taking this precaution.

A freshly charged pack is 12.8 Vdc hot off the charger (10 hour charge) and in my experience will blow the WA 1185 bulb straight away.

Jim Skinner

[ QUOTE ]
    naromtap said:

PaulDW & Naromtap where having a TL85 vs SFM6 burnout, I'm sure Paul will tell you more about that but all I wanna know is will the TL85 upgrade be made avail again Jim?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I should be completely finished with all of the current run orders in two-three weeks at the outside, ASSUMING that WA acutally manages to send me my 1274's and doesn't delay the order for a THIRD time. Then I will need some time off--two-three weeks probably--and then I may possibly open up a run2 signup thread, or it may be a little later than this. We'll see, but for sure in a couple months or so, people WILL have a chance to order whatever they want, since there is already enough interest to warrant a second run. Also, for the record, I will continue to support these mods (spare lamps, reflectors, repairs to battery packs, etc.) for as long as I am alive or until no one cares anymore, whichever comes first.

As for insta-flashing of 1185's, I am working on a mod to the switch/charging contacts housing which may possibly eliminate that. It's essentially just a transistor, a resistor, and a capacitor, configured to give a gentle rise to the current for the first 50 msec's after turn-on. I will have to proto-type it and see what sort of efficiency loss there will be, and if I can make everything fit in that space and so on, but for those who are impatient and prone to turning on their Tiger85's right off the charger, this may be a good solution. Although I will need to have the light in my possession to do the mod.

Well,

ixnay on that transistor-resistor-capacitor circuit. Too much power, too big, no can do. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
    Frame57 said:
    Paul,

The best way to prevent blowing your Tiger85 is to measure the open circuit voltage of the battery at the charging contacts. If it's 12.5Vdc or less you should be good to go,
    I've never blown a WA 1185 bulb when taking this precaution.

A freshly charged pack is 12.8 Vdc hot off the charger (10 hour charge) and in my experience will blow the WA 1185 bulb straight away.

Jim Skinner

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jim, yes you know I have a meter handy, and altho I am well aware the battery needs time to cool down, the problem is simply my lack of memory ...lol, oh and impatience ability when I know the TL85 is ready to go :-( My first bulb blew as I pulled the TL85 out of the charger after 11 hours on and I went for a 'Baaaaam' ........ and got a 'Blooooow' instead ...lol. The 2nd bulb blew after impatience. I was itching to get the pic's I posted earlier and basically took a gamble on 10 mins off the charge. I WAS this time aware of what I was doing, but took the gamble and didn't win :-(

I've now adopted the 30min b4 touching attitude to be on the safe side, and only my memory will allow another bulb to blow in the future [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Paul,

30 minutes SHOULD definitely be safe, but there's no guarantee, unfortunately. I haven't ever insta-flashed an 1185 after this amount of cool-down, but there's probably still a small chance of this happening. I'm not happy about it, but oh well, at the moment it's the price you pay for such outrageous performance from a 2D sized light. The SF M6 HOLA is being run off the higher internal resistance Lithium chemistry batteries, and is not being pushed as hard, and thus it is much less likely to blow. Plus there's no spikey hot-off-the-charger voltage to deal with.

Paul, the pics worked, why'd u delete the post?

Jim's, the point about my insta-flashing hobby is nothing but a warning. I think we're all aware of what kind of overdrive the TL85 is getting and at the end of the day maybe a good hour off the charge would be best, its just if your anything like me then sometimes common sense does not come first in my priorities ...lol, so I'm just sharing my experience. I'm sure 99% of ppl will NOT have this problem, but there is always one! ...lol

I'm trying to post 2 pictures from the M6 & TL85 battle last night. I cannot for the life of me seem to get the pictures themselves into my post, at best I can get links to the pic's so will provide these for now. Myself and Naromtap will have another shoot out in the very near future with hopefully better pic's, and I will post as soon as I get, and find out what I am doing wrong in the 'posting pics' dpt :-)

This is the best I can offer as we speak:

SFM6

[image]http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/Paul_DW/SFM6_woods?full=1[/image]

And the TL85

[image]http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/Paul_DW/TL85_woods?full=1[/image]

If these don't work, then I can only appologise as I cannot work this out. The earlier pictures of the E2e, TL, TL85 was kindly hosted by JM on his webspace and I was given the link to add to my post. I was told about the site I have hosted these pic's on and have them there ok, did the same as b4 to try and input the images here, but this is what I get when posting ?! ..... not sure why tho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Or maybe try this if they don't work ?!

SFM6

TL85

I HAVE tried! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

One more try! ...lol

Right! I've posted these pics on some freebie webspace that DOES have limited usage, but I don't see this being a problem (I hope). The TL85 does have a clearer pic, but I don't think it aids to its beam in any way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Again!

Surefire M6 HOLA

And the TL85

Well it only worked! ...lol. I might as well throw this into the bag then :-) I took this in the early hours and altho I knew the fog would flatter the TL85, I personally think it's an excellent pic [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I can now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Hi Jim,

Willie Hunt's LVR3I is awesome - coolest (and safest) thing I've ever seen for a rechargeable incan application. Send him an email and ask about round LVR's that use the larger 10-amp FET. He told me once that he makes a few of those for "tinkerers".

I've been away quite a lot lately, but I've tried to keep up with this thread. You have put a lot of time/effort in developing these mods - and have produced some excellent results.

Thanks - John

[ QUOTE ]
    js said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    naromtap said:
    will the TL85 upgrade be made avail again Jim?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I should be completely finished with all of the current run orders in two-three weeks at the outside, ASSUMING that WA acutally manages to send me my 1274's and doesn't delay the order for a THIRD time. Then I will need some time off--two-three weeks probably--and then I may possibly open up a run2 signup thread, or it may be a little later than this. We'll see, but for sure in a couple months or so, people WILL have a chance to order whatever they want, since there is already enough interest to warrant a second run. Also, for the record, I will continue to support these mods (spare lamps, reflectors, repairs to battery packs, etc.) for as long as I am alive or until no one cares anymore, whichever comes first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Great news Jim!! - I will keep my eyes peeled!!

Illuminated,

Thanks! Overall, I am very happy with the results of my TigerLight modding efforts, and very thankful for all the help I got along the way (Thanks, Illuminated!).

I have thought a lot about the LVR's, and other than the space they take up, the other main issue is that the battery voltage must stay ABOVE the regulator voltage for the entire run. This sort of rules out its use in the Tiger85.

BTW, how thick is the LVR3I ?

And thanks everyone else! Thanks for your thumbs-up and kind words and thanks for posting about your TL mods. I appreciate feedback.

Tonight was my third attempt at a “vertical throw test” of the Tiger 1111, and my third failure. There seem to be more people walking around at all hours than ever, and there is heightened paranoia and law enforcement alertness since the recent exposure of detailed terror plans for my city, not to mention a very recent lockdown of my own block because of a “suspicious package” (see ‘Scary alert on my street today’ in the Café). Also, bear in mind that I test by shining bright lights into people’s apartment windows, a questionable activity under the best of circumstances.

So here are informal results of the very limited tests I’ve been able to do. They don’t do the light justice but I hope to eventually do a proper test.

Ceiling bounce tests M6 HOLA/ Tiger1111
    Tiger was one week off charger and had been used perhaps 5-10 minutes during that time
    M6 had fresh Surefires: SF/HOLA appeared slightly brighter than Tiger

Infamous white wall test - Distances ranged 20-27 feet:
    Tiger consistently able to superimpose white central hotspot upon center of M6’s beam, suggesting greater throw potential

Several extremely brief, furtive “vertical throws”, all distances approximate:

17th floor light gray building from about 90’, total distance (hypotenuse) about 190’: illuminated a large swath of building not brightly but BRILLIANTLY. 190 feet is really too close to see what this prodigy can do.

Several very brief flashes diagonally across street at near ground level, distances ranging roughly 50-75+ feet: distance is much too short for a light this bright, almost like swatting a fly with a hammer.

New building 25-30 stories, curved red brick façade: I was forced to test too close to this building for a really objective opinion, perhaps 25’, which made the beam appear more like a vertical brush of light than a semi-horizontal beam. NTL the light created a hot white swath of unexpected brilliance running up the wall of the building almost to the top 250-300 feet above. It reminded me of a giant-sized version of beamshots where lights are placed vertically in front of room walls or garage doors.

As I write this it’s about 2:35 AM and I’m tempted to walk Tiger 1111 down to my preferred “vertical throw test” location which would probably be pretty deserted at this time of night, and do a proper test. However, caution prevails and the impulse passed so I’ll just sum up my impressions.

Jim’s Tiger1111 is a brilliant bright light with an uncommonly white beam. I thought the stock Tiger lamp was extremely bright after I installed a JS KAN pack but the 1111 is VERY much brighter, the difference truly dramatic. The hotspot is exceptionally intense and clearly defined within a very bright surround. It is smaller and more focused than that of the stock lamp. I would expect this to be one of the longest-throwing medium sized flashlight configured lights tested on CPF. It is a perfect realization of the Tigerlight’s potential, the only compromise being reduced runtime and bulb burntime. I find that compromise well worth the result, but for those who don't the stock lamp with KAN pack awaits, not to mention the elusive 1274.

Brightnorm

Brightnorm,

Thanks so much for these "informal" results. I think they're pretty good as they stand, but I look forward to more, of course.

Everyone,

I've learned an important piece of information regarding Willie Hunt's LVR3 voltage regulators--well, actually two, but anyway: when the input voltage falls below the regulation voltage, the LVR is simply on 100 percent of the time, and is more or less transparent. In other words, you lose the regulation, but still have the battery voltage as delivered. At first, I thought the thing would just shut off and not regulate unless it had an overvoltage. But no!

So this means that one of these could be used in a Tiger85 to take the edge off the initial voltage spike, as well as for it's other lovely features, such as soft-start, low battery warning flashes, and low battery voltage cut-off (i.e. no chance of over-discharging the battery pack).

However, the LVR3I is definitely too big to fit anywhere, especially in the switch housing. Which brings me to the 2nd thing I learned. Mr. Hunt sells an LVR3K which is .780 inches diameter round and .3 inches thick. This just MIGHT fit in the switch housing.

And of course, there's still the possibility of making a Tiger60 with the famous WA 01160, by getting an LVR3K set at 6.2 or so volts. This would yield a light with more or less constant brightness over the runtime--at the very end, it would dim slightly.

Not sure if there's much interest in a Tiger60, but I for one am very keen on a Tiger85 with the soft-start and voltage regulation and battery warning and cutoff voltage levels. It would be nice to be able to grab a Tiger85 hot off the charger and not have to worry about flashing the lamp.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions or thoughts on these subjects?

Jim, I just spent almost 2 hours catching up on this thread and would like to know if I would be able at some point in the future to get a Tiger 11 setup from you.

I am assuming that kit would contain the KAN 6 cell pack
    the 1111 lamp
    and reflector that is trimmed to fit is that correct?

Bushman,

I hope reading this entire monster thread (or a large part of it) for two hours was enjoyable!

Yes, for sure you will be able to get a Tiger11 setup from me when I do the second build run (if not before). And yes, a Tiger11 would consist of a TigerLight, a KAN 1800 6 cell battery pack, a modded (trimmed to fit) Carley 1940 reflector with either a smooth or orange peel coating, and one or more Welch Allyn 01111 lamps potted into fixture rings so that they slide up into the bore of the reflector(s) where they are secured with the set-screws.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast