Scratches on acrylic optic - issues?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix e15 is showing some scratches on the optic - at what point does it affect the beam, or will it be just cosmetic (in practice)
Thanks

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't thing there is any difference noticeable to the human eye in field use. I had a headlamp plastic widow so scratched up one might think it was frosted. LOL! Never really noticed anything. Same for SF plastic windows. For an experiment take a flashlight and put it inside a clear sandwich bag. Not one of those super hot running modes rather normal use say 50-100 lumens. See if you can really notice all that much reduction in the field. It can be seen but hardly. Small scratches even less. Same goes for dust in the reflector. I say roll with it brother.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I was quite annoyed because I originally thought there was glass over the optic

How do lights like the smini fare?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It doesn't make any difference even when composing 50 megapixel images through an optically delicate camera lens; watch Tony Northrup thrash his lens and then continue using it (skip to 8:28):

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look at the beam on the wall and let your own eyes tell you if the beam quality is acceptable still. It's fine.

It doesn't make any difference even when composing 50 megapixel images through an optically delicate camera lens; watch Tony Northrup thrash his lens and then continue using it (skip to 8:28):

I was also going to bring up my experience from photography. It's not that there is no effect, but it's very subtle, and usually takes quite a few small scratches before it becomes significant.

I didn't take time to watch the video and see exactly what he's saying, but while UV filters aren't necessary for digital cameras, ND and polarizing filters have specific uses that they are needed for. They're not for protecting lenses, although I do sometimes see people using them that way.

I actually do also have a UV filter. I don't keep it on my camera. I bring it along when I'm going to be in a really dirty environment.

Woods Walker

Thanks, I was quite annoyed because I originally thought there was glass over the optic

How do lights like the smini fare?

I don't own a Fenix E15 but did give one to my Uncle and so far it works. I have always been conflicted between the plastic or glass window on lights. In my case it seems both get scratched. Both have their pros and cons. Somehow I prefer glass though trust plastic more.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what type of hardcoat the EyePro companies like WileyX put on their lenses.
Seems that would be nice for acrylic/lexan etc lenses on lights.

I have a G2X-LE that has microscratches on the lens now from wiping off off dust(always wiping after a rinse under the tap).
Those hardcoat treatments would be nice.

As for lights like the 6P/C2 with glass Pyrex over 3mm thick, I have no doubts to their durability.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Scratches will "soften" the beam over time. What I mean is once there are enough scratches the beam will be noteably difused.
Think about what orange peel does for the beam... that sorta thing.
So unless you see zigs n zags or spider-web-ing in the beam, keep on using it with no qualms.

I took a scotch brite pad to couple of those $5 check out counter lights that had a horrible yellow center with a sky blue cornea and when done they produced a nice soft beam without a big difference in throw... maybe 10%. And I'm talking scuff'd enough to where you cannot see that so-called Nichia emitter anymore.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I guess I can clean it up with polywatch or novus polish, but I probably won't pocket carry this light

Woods Walker

Thanks, I guess I can clean it up with polywatch or novus polish, but I probably won't pocket carry this light

I say embrace the horror. The more beat up an EDC gets and still runs the more I trust it. :thumbsup: edit. Then again my old beaten up iTP EOS died for no reason. LOL!