Polytac vs HP?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planning on using either the Polytac or Polytac HP on my carbine light. I like the idea that the HP will offer a little better throw if its ever deployed outside but the reality is that its an indoor/HD carbine. Any thoughts? Does the HP offer much better beam profile? Does the regular polytac do well outdoors?

For reference, I'd be used to a 6PL as my handgun light and a G2X (I think, its a 320lm version) on my firefighting helmet. Would like something similar to the light I'm running on my helmet, but I'm just not willing to fork out the money for SF at this time...

scout24

Flashaholic
The G2X 320lm is $48.00 on Amazon, the Polytac is $38.00... In the interest of familiarity, I'd be tempted to save up the extra $10.00 and go with a light you're familiar and comfortable with. A little shopping around may save you a few bucks, too. Is the Streamlight weapon-light rated?

Edit- That would be a "yes" on the Streamlight...

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up picking the streamlight due to clicky tailcap.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Just a tip on the Streamlight Polytac:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396219-A-Streamlight-PolyTac-in-My-Glove-Box

It does take a Keeppower 2500 mAh 16650 battery, should that be of interest.
I got 3 Polytacs myself (the older 130 Lm version), and it does work. Despite my initial reservations regarding the tube length.

Regarding the survivability of the Polytac, I got one permanently in the car. Naturally, that means having dropped it in the snow and the mud, but it didn't seem to mind either at all. No light flickering that I could see upon impact (as it did happen in the dark) and no visible moisture ingress, though having taken the light apart and dried immediately after getting buried in soft snow, so to not risk anything.

That was a couple years ago, and the light is still going strong. That said, it does get rather kind treatment, standing in a pouch in my car whenever not in use.

Last edited: