What makes a good flashlight review?

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Soon I will be doing my first review of the Thorfire S70S. I want to know from flashlight enthusiast what makes a good flashlight review. I will be listing a few bullet points I want to address in the review and I would appreciate anyone's input on addital information I can add or what they personally enjoy in a review.
•Beam shots
•Weight
•Runtimes
•IPX rating
•Construction and build quality
•LED specifications
I currently do not have a sphere or lux meter but if this review goes well I will purchase a meter and learn how to build and understand how to chart a sphere.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soon I will be doing my first review of the Thorfire S70S. I want to know from flashlight enthusiast what makes a good flashlight review. I will be listing a few bullet points I want to address in the review and I would appreciate anyone's input on addital information I can add or what they personally enjoy in a review.
•Beam shots
•Weight
•Runtimes
•IPX rating
•Construction and build quality
•LED specifications
I currently do not have a sphere or lux meter but if this review goes well I will purchase a meter and learn how to build and understand how to chart a sphere.

My personal opinion is that a flashlight review mainly should include all the information you don't get by the manufacturers specification. Because that's the main reason for a review. For example beamshots, runtime graphs and tint are very valuable. Also description of the hold feeling(slippery or not) and how is the feeling of the switch. Exact size and weight I can read at the manufacturers website, if it's necessary, but often a picture of the light in the hand or placed close to another object of known size can be adequate. A review mainly consisting of a copy of the manufacturer's specifications is not a real review.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think adding subjective comment and personality to a review will make one review stand out from the others. Attempting to remain neutral and non critical about an opinion or the subject matter will just make any review another bought review.
Most reviewers point out in the disclaimer where they acquired the light. How about saying how long it took to ship ? 3 days or 3 weeks. Provide commentary about how your questions were handled with the flashlight provider and manufacturer. Physical testing of the flashlight would be great too. Just some random thoughts. Good luck with your review !

moozooh

Enlightened
My personal opinion is that a flashlight review mainly should include all the information you don't get by the manufacturers specification.

This. A review needs to have answers to the questions you might have about the product that aren't immediately obvious. The rest is a bonus.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I always show the flashlight being used during an actual night hike. Also I resist the idea
of reviewing a light until it has been used during multiple outings in all weather. I do
field use reviews.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I always show the flashlight being used during an actual night hike. Also I resist the idea
of reviewing a light until it has been used during multiple outings in all weather. I do
field use reviews.

Exactly. The intended purpose and how well it performs at that task results in a reader understanding whether or not the particular product will serve their personal need(s) or want(s).

Is it best suited for indoor use? Outdoor use? Both? Best for viewing objects at a distance? Close up illumination that won't make you squint?

How flexible is the potential fuel source? Strapped to a charger required like USB or charger module type or can another source of fuel be used?

How convenient is it to carry around? Example a 5D Maglite or soda can light versus a 1x 18650.

Battery meter? Yes/no. Lockout feature? Yes/no, that way the occasional user can know whether it's in need of fresh fuel or good to go for a little while and whether accidental turn on potential exists. Parasitic drain applies here also.

Does it flicker? Yes/no. Engineers are getting around pwm in the traditional sense, but the camera don't lie. It either flickers or it don't regardless of the term used.

Regardless of stated CRI and tint number, do objects lit up look correct? Some sources provide a little more punch to certain portions of the color spectrum to create a more pleasing light source. That is often mistaken as correct rendition. Other sources tend to mute colors. How well do fleshtones appear? Does the green look correct? The white? The basic colors in a given enviornment of a living room or back yard for example.

Does it noticeably dim? If so is the output still useable at a given circumstance?

Real world user stuff is what is lacking in a whole lot of reviews.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also don't sugar coat the faults of the light.

If it has PWM and you don't like that...say so. If it has mode spacing that is off or an odd tint etc. . whatever. People need to know the whole picture, not just a glorified advertisement.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Exactly. The intended purpose and how well it performs at that task results in a reader understanding whether or not the particular product will serve their personal need(s) or want(s).

Is it best suited for indoor use? Outdoor use? Both? Best for viewing objects at a distance? Close up illumination that won't make you squint?

How flexible is the potential fuel source? Strapped to a charger required like USB or charger module type or can another source of fuel be used?

How convenient is it to carry around? Example a 5D Maglite or soda can light versus a 1x 18650.

Battery meter? Yes/no. Lockout feature? Yes/no, that way the occasional user can know whether it's in need of fresh fuel or good to go for a little while and whether accidental turn on potential exists. Parasitic drain applies here also.

Does it flicker? Yes/no. Engineers are getting around pwm in the traditional sense, but the camera don't lie. It either flickers or it don't regardless of the term used.

Regardless of stated CRI and tint number, do objects lit up look correct? Some sources provide a little more punch to certain portions of the color spectrum to create a more pleasing light source. That is often mistaken as correct rendition. Other sources tend to mute colors. How well do fleshtones appear? Does the green look correct? The white? The basic colors in a given enviornment of a living room or back yard for example.

Does it noticeably dim? If so is the output still useable at a given circumstance?

Real world user stuff is what is lacking in a whole lot of reviews.

I do things in reviews which can be different than others.
For example in multiple reviews of lights I scampered
down ledges at night and will run for miles. This tells me how the light rides and handles. How the UI operates under stress. I drop them in moving brooks and rivers sometimes in flood. This tells me more than dunking in a cup. If I want to see if a light thermo regulates I don't put it near a fan I run 5-10 miles with it on high. There is one down side to reviews. Very often people want to
see what is new. The problem being without longer term experience initial reports are of least value. But here is the issue.

Review an old light most don't care and those who do will most likely be directed to the initial reviews that offer no insight as to how the gear holds up over time. I am thinking about reviewing the economy Olight 1XAAA. It has been on my keychain for a year. It has been dropped more times than I can count. Been there through the wash as well. Run with multiple battery types. But it has been reviewed
a hundreds of times within the first week of release. Maybe I will trick people into looking at the review by adding my keychain kit into the mix. That said few would look at a review of something which isn't new. On a side note I caught Lyme doing a light review so there is a downside. LOL edit. I hate posting when mobile

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A good review goes well beyond the marketing and helps the reader decide if it's going to work for them in their application. I feel like a decent review walks the reader through the entire process of ownership as best possible within the relatively sort time the reviewer has to work with the test subject.

I like to see the following:
  • A summary of the specifications, key features, and claims made by the manufacturer
  • As received photos of the light so the reader can appreciate how it looks outside of professional / photoshop'ed marketing materials. What's the general scale of it? How does it disassemble?
  • Initial subjective impressions, with comparisons to other comparable units
  • Technical evaluations of the light, compared to the manufacturer's specifications. I appreciate AvE's and electronupdate's teardowns and anlaysis on YouTube, however I do realize going to that extreme is not plausible for many reviewers.
  • Beamshots and in-use photos are nice, but we know how tricky that photographs are relative to how one experiences the light produced in person, scene to scene
  • With pretty much every LED flashlight utilizing a UI nowadays to switch between modes, how did the reviewer find the experience of switching between modes?
  • Analysis of the light under not only the primary use case(s), but other plausible use cases. A 1" diameter tactical light with a standard tail switch should be evaluated not only mounted to a rail on a firearm but also under more general-purpose scenarios since it's probably reasonably handy. A floody headlamp aimed at task work should also be evaluated for throw since you might still need to see further than a few yards away. A quad 18650 with 3x XHP50s should be evaluated for the utility of its lower/moonlight modes much like a 1x 18350 w/ quad XMLs should be evaluated for the utility of its palm-scorching turbo mode. etc etc etc
  • Strengths and weaknesses balanced against numerous categories such as cost, durability, fit+finish, output, runtime, light quality, lumens-per-dollar, total cost of ownership, etc. Overall X out of Y Stars ratings oftentimes seem to be more like film critic ratings - more a function of the reviewers tastes than an assessment of how well the product will work for which users. Just because a light isn't some exquisitely machined hand-fitted high output perfection doesn't mean it's not ideal for someone else who just needs a cheap backup toolbox light with moderate output and runtime.
  • Longer-term usage notes are appreciated. How did a feature work out long term? Did the finish wear off after a month on the keychain? Does the tailcap have a nasty tendency to try to crossthread? Did a promoted feature turn out to be gimmicky - or is there some hidden gem in the feature set? Did the reviewer find some niche to slot it into? Did it end up propping up a table after a week?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here

lovecpf

Let me add --

- When battery gets low,
does the light DIM ? Or just plain GO OUT ! ! !

That's always handy to know !

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess current values at all modes could be a good option. That would help to use proper batteries. Battery compartment size sometimes may become an issue as well.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good bet is to have read plenty of reviews by the really great reviewers, and see what they include in their reviews, to see what makes a great flashlight review.

I noticed that it is great to provide comprehensive information in written, photo, video, table and graph formats.

Having the proper equipment is a good idea. Not having the proper equipment is what prevents me from getting into reviewing flashlights.

Comparative beamshots with a few lights in the same class is good.

I miss the Beam Angle Versus Intensity graphs that maukka includes in his reviews.

I miss the comprehensive comparative performance tables that Selfbuilt includes in his reviews.

I have lots of experience reading reviews provided by the truly greats. Comparative indoor ceiling bounce photos, long and short range beamshots, information on optimum cell selection, and many other types of information are all nice to have in a review.

Edit: I forgot to mention timeliness of the review. People are not eager to see a review for a light that has already been available for a long time. Quality of the review is important, and people are waiting for such when a new light is released, not ten months later. :)

Last edited:

contigo

Newly Enlightened
I very much dislike when they describe the cardboard box in detail :thumbsdow

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have to agree with you.

Why not show a picture of the mailman delivering the package too !

Guessing that this has something to do with the unboxing video genre on youtube which is literally what it sounds like, perhaps with some first impressions tagged onto the end.

Unless the box has some genuine utility after it's done protecting the light during S&H I'm not particularly interested in it myself...