Review: Fenix CL25R (Lantern, 1x18650, NW, Rechargeable)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Fenix CL25R from FastTech.com for the review
Here is the purchase link

The CL25R is a 18650 powered lantern from Fenix with NW tint, and rechargeable capability.

The light comes in this box, with an included Fenix 18650 2300mAh battery.
Fenix_CL25R_01.jpg

Fenix_CL25R_02.jpg

The CL25R has the typical cylindrical look of many lanterns.
Fenix_CL25R_03.jpg

The CL25R measures 10x5.2 cm, and weights 130 grams without the battery.
As you can see in the pic below, it's quite a compact lantern.
Fenix_CL25R_09.jpg

On the top of the light there is a metal D-ring for attaching the light to ropes and carabiners, a micro USB port for charging the cell (covered by a rubber cover), and the switch with a GITD rubber cover. The light can work while being charged, but only at low and mid mode.
Fenix_CL25R_05.jpg

The vertical surface is plastic with a frosted look.
Fenix_CL25R_04.jpg

The bottom of the lantern hosts the tailcap of the lantern, which has a tripod screw thread
Fenix_CL25R_06.jpg

Fenix_CL25R_07.jpg

Inside the tailcap there is a magnet that allows to attach the CL25R to metallic surfaces
Fenix_CL25R_08.jpg

Fenix_CL25R_10.jpg

At an outer look, the NW LEDs seems well distributed around the vertical surface, while the red ones are in the central part.
Fenix_CL25R_11.jpg

Fenix_CL25R_12.jpg

UI
http://www.fenixtactical.com/manuals/fenix-cl25r-1-manual.pdf

Beamshots
To be published. I have little time and making beamshot of a Lantern is a nightmare.
The tint is a pleasant, not too cool NW.

Output and runtime
Both tested with the provided Fenix 18650 2300mAh battery.
Fenix_CL25R_13.png

Fenix_CL25R_14.png

My thoughts
The CL25R is well made and finished.
The CL25R is able to produce a soft, well distributed and NW beam for illuminating small rooms or settings. The output is on the low side, promoting the runtimes of the lantern which I supposed is marketed for hikers/backpackers/camping guys.
I like the additional attaching capabilities, behind the usual standing / D-ring ones, as well as the convenient UI and the small size (it can fit in the pocket of a jacket).

I wish the CL25R had more output, more red levels.
Remember that there are commercially available 3500mAh 18650 cells, which should give you around 35% more runtime than the one I got in my runtime tests using the 2300mAh provided cell.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
These are great. The only real flaw I found using it over time was there seems to be less light directly under the lantern when hung. I tested it out with the solar panel and it seemed to charge but never fully solar charged it. Also never tested to see the volts or amps when doing so. Going to give that a try. The moon light mode is very useful. Thanks for posting the review.

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
I can definetely recommend this light.
i use it as nightlight (via usb)
this morning i used it at low mode, to let eyes adapt to morning light.

very, very well assembled thing. if your eyes are adapted to darkness, mid-high of CL25R can definetely be bright enough even for small room.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter and son-in-law use this lantern a lot. To help the youngest grand kids fall asleep in the tent, they leave the light on in that lowest mode for most of the night.....kind of like a night light. Not bright enough to bother the others. Also I haven't got my kids into lithium ion yet but with the built in charger, that helps with the simplicity of it. I can't remember the charge current but I think it was around 800 to 850mA. Also I think it terminated a bit shy of 4.20v. I gave my son-in-law the 2600mAh protected battery that came from my CL25R so that he now has a spare......but you know, I'm not sure if he's ever had to swap it out.

I also like this lantern a lot. Thanks for the review.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Review.

I read on CPF or BLF a couple of owners said their lantern stopped working, so keep you receipt.

I have 3 of the clones (nice cool light but not cold, no tint), But am not rich enough to buy the original when i need more than 1, the clone does not have an moonlight mode, Just HIGH, MED, LOW, RED and FLASHING RED.

NWvQ9SQ.jpg

John.

Last edited:

d88

Newly Enlightened
This is a great little latern. I had one of these until my mum 'acquired' it for her own needs and even she loves it. So I've had to buy another one. I agree with the op that this is for small area lighting, so. as it's intended for, its great for camping / hiking for when in your tent. Also though its a great little light for your room, either as a backup or a nightlight

gokumura

Newly Enlightened
Bought two (2) of these for just in case earthquake in California. Tried them and they produce a very bright light that is well dispersed. Using LG 3500 mah rechargeable 18650. Great lights for the price.

Nokoff

Enlightened
If anyone wants one of these for 1/3 the price of the Fenix, check out the Supfire on Amazon. Pretty much identical. I have a few and they're wonderful lanterns.

I replaced the included 2000mah 18660 with a protected 3100mah and it lasts most of the night on red which is very bright and my preferred setting, also great in power outages because it's very bright.
6930c79303ad1958c934b6e3f7e99401.png
c1995ed11cb1488b89d94217b24207de.png

Supfire Camping Lantern T1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078M92JCC/?tag=cpf0b6-20