Why are these 18650's from Gearbest so cheap? Is the capacity grossly inflated?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are these cells from Gearbest so cheap? : https://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_189833.html?wid=21

I'm assuming they are at least safe, but are they really most likely 3400mAh? Is it because they aren't brand labeled? If you get 3400mAh 18650's from, say, Olight you'll spend upwards of 80 dollars for a set of 4.

I'm looking for a new set of 18650's to use in a TM06. Is this is a good idea to get a set of these for just over 20 dollars with shipping or will I be "getting what I pay for?"

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are these cells from Gearbest so cheap? : https://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_189833.html?wid=21

I'm assuming they are at least safe, but are they really most likely 3400mAh? Is it because they aren't brand labeled? If you get 3400mAh 18650's from, say, Olight you'll spend upwards of 80 dollars for a set of 4.

I'm looking for a new set of 18650's to use in a TM06. Is this is a good idea to get a set of these for just over 20 dollars with shipping or will I be "getting what I pay for?"
They are brand labeled - NCR. They have been around for several years, and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. I would guess that newer cells have outstripped them in performance, but they are still a good buy. The price breaks out to about $5 per cell, which is about the cheapest I have seen any good cells selling for. I am sure HKJ has reviewed them if you want to go look. If I didn't already have more cells than I need I would be interested in them.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are Panasonic cells, based on the model number and color. They are good to about 6 Amps.

These are routinely under $10 a piece, this is about half off I'd say. They are good cells, and GB doesn't push phony cells (not saying never has something ever happened, but I trust ordering from them).

I suspect they are just clearing out inventory as these have been around a while and I see a trend of people going to unprotected or the Sanyo GA cells that can do 10A.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are Panasonic cells, based on the model number and color. They are good to about 6 Amps.

These are routinely under $10 a piece, this is about half off I'd say. They are good cells, and GB doesn't push phony cells (not saying never has something ever happened, but I trust ordering from them).

I suspect they are just clearing out inventory as these have been around a while and I see a trend of people going to unprotected or the Sanyo GA cells that can do 10A.

Thanks for the replies peeps. Hmm. I wonder if these would be able to max output of my modded TM06 to 4000+ lumens.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also it's funny on that page if you select a set of 4 and select a quantity of two you get a cart price of 37 dollars something. If you select a set of 8 and quantity of 1 you get a cart price of 40+ dollars. Both before shipping lol.

Hmmm...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are brand labeled - NCR. They have been around for several years, and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. I would guess that newer cells have outstripped them in performance, but they are still a good buy. The price breaks out to about $5 per cell, which is about the cheapest I have seen any good cells selling for. I am sure HKJ has reviewed them if you want to go look. If I didn't already have more cells than I need I would be interested in them.

I would not call them the cheapest option because of that: https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/panasonic-ncr18650b-made-in-japan.html.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Those are the same batteries unless mistaken Nitecore uses in with their NL189 (know because I re wrapped one a few weeks ago. I have photos some place if that would help. Assuming all is on the up and up (bought from this seller before so on my trusted list) they're winners as been using one for a few years. Also they can run my higher drain AT Wizard XHP-50 headlamp without firing the protection or at least for the short time I use the 1800 lumen 1X18650 Turbo so must be able to handle at least 5A or maybe 6A. Not sure. I just bought some and the total was around 22.72. I will toss them inside and empty NBM40 battery magazine for my preps and use within unprotected lights not having crazy high amperage draw such as my M91W and MD2. I think they're cheaper as it is a flash sale and eclipsed by batteries with 3600/3500 mAh protected to 10A. But for the money this is a great battery based on my field experience.

edit. I also verified by comparison testing they're around 3400 mAh or at least the ones in the NL189 are.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Pany B cells are good cells, but they are old now so i would not buy them. If its a 3400mah cell(genuine) , then it will have a pany B under the manufacturers wrap(be it nitecore,olight,fenix,keeppower etc).

Look for some button tops your side of the pond from mtn elec or imr batteries(just to name 2 shops). Least they will arrive! and within a few days not potentially weeks- months.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the same as the GB are listed protected.

Quick Overview

Without protection circuit! Not for flashlights! Do not buy if you do not know what you are doing!

Well, having in mind that I've got a decent DMM, reliable chargers with high quality protection, reliable lights with built-in protection I consider it a waste to purchase protection in a battery that will never be triggered and, finally, thrown away :)

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies peeps. Hmm. I wonder if these would be able to max output of my modded TM06 to 4000+ lumens.
The tm06 has parasitic drain that affects 2 batteries more than the other two. Thus, I strongly recommend protected cells like these to prevent over-discharge or damage from reverse flow.

The Sanyo GA cells would be my ideal choice, but Nitecore Store sells this light packaged with Nitecore 3400mah cells (which are wrapped Panasonic NCR B cells just like these)... so you should be okay.

Looks like most reviews I found online were done with the GA cells, so no confirmation on the Panasonics.

I'm thinking you'll be fine, though. This is a terribly rough generalization but 1000 lumens per cell is common for these Panasonics in other lights with XML2s. As this light is about 4000 lumens, these Panasonics should be good enough. Low resistance unprotected cells might give you 50 lumen more each, but you'd never see the difference in real life.

Where you MIGHT see the difference is sustained output on high. Turbo steps down after a couple minutes to high, but high appears to be flat/regulated. Towards the end (say 1.5 hours in), the voltage will be down so the Amp pull will be raised. The Panasonics would hit their limit sooner in theory than the GAs.

Clear as mud?

Edit: just noticed you said modded. We'd need to know how...

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Well, having in mind that I've got a decent DMM, reliable chargers with high quality protection, reliable lights with built-in protection I consider it a waste to purchase protection in a battery that will never be triggered and, finally, thrown away :)

I have hungry vampires to feed. LOL!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have hungry vampires to feed. LOL!

Those ones? :D

surefire-v2-vampire-duel-spectrum-led-ir-flashlight-8.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure they do.
plenty of ultrafire,tangsfire,boruit,ect overrated junk.
but those look to be real ncrb cells.
as stated by others they are simply falling out of favor after being the go to cell for a long time.
a good deal for those who dont need the latest and greatest.
and GB doesn't push phony cells

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure they do.
plenty of ultrafire,tangsfire,boruit,ect overrated junk.
but those look to be real ncrb cells.
as stated by others they are simply falling out of favor after being the go to cell for a long time.
a good deal for those who dont need the latest and greatest.
Fair correction there.

Untrafire is junk, period, etc. I meant phony in the sense that if you think you're buying Samsung 30Q, you should get Samsung 30Q, not a 10 year old rewrapped cell pretending to be a 30Q. These Panasonic NCR B cells should be as described.

Latest posts