SunwayLED        

Thread: SMALL do it all cellphone - any ideas?

Flashaholic*

Default SMALL do it all cellphone - any ideas?

since putting my Defy Plus (did simply everything perfectly, just as I wanted) to rest because it now really became too slow, I played around with several newer models (at least doublecore ones).
    application: normal phone use + orientation.
    features "needed": at least double-core, good gps, useful battery life as well as some ratio between small and useful screen size.
    I came to about 120 mm (~ 4.7") because I was not able to find anything smaller/better

so far:
    Sony Xperia M,
    Samsung S3 mini & Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 ... funny here: Ace 3 is better in everything but way cheaper
    (prices of all "mini" or "compact", or whatever they call it-models are no fun anymore - as well as the real size these models have. And I wish there were a real successor of the Defy Plus)

actually a Motorola Droid Mini has become my main phone.
    quite quick, looks and feels dramatically better than the other makers plastic crap; good GPS + GLONASS; barometer included!
    drawback: no card slot (the 16 Gig is just about enough)

what is used by fellow cpf-ers?
    Any model to compete with the ones mentionned?

by the way:
    I have car navigation app (with some countries maps) + map orientation app (also with some countries maps) on board.
    remaining "free" disk space:
    ~ 730 MB ... with heavily Verizon-&-Motorola-unnecessary-unkillable-bloatware-infested-Rom mounted
    ~1,30 Gig ... with Lineage Rom installed
    advice: when it is possible, get rid of all these "helping the user"-crap and install a custom rom
    Last edited by yellow; 10-11-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: SMALL do it all cellphone - any ideas?

I've used both the M and the Ace, no problems with either. The Ace was my favourite because it was the most comfortable to carry (for me). If it's cheaper, I'd run with that. That said, I'm now using an Iphone SE, and I'm quite happy with the balance of size and power.

Why not look into the iPhone SE? Great phone with many features all in a compact size.

4.7" isn't small though, it's closer to just normal - all the recent non-plus iPhones are 4.7", so in theory you could just get an iPhone 8. The iPhone 5 is a quite small 4".

Flashaholic*

good Point with the i-phones, I must admit. They really look cool.
    And some of them show what could be named "small phone"

at that department it is more a personal thing
    * I immediately flash other ROM, as i dont want any "standard" ROM (especially not with all this Verizon/Motorola bloatcrap) so switching to an I-phone, where noone knows what its little proggies do in the background and where my data gets forwarded to, would be totally silly.
    * These cost for a phone - simply against anything I believe in.
    * the few friends of mine who use i-phones can take 1-3 Pictures at winter, then their phones Switch off (because of battery issue in the cold). And/or have such a phone cover with additional battery, so runtime is better, but overall clumsyness (and drawbacks in style) does not improve