4500-5000 Cd actual distance

mickb

Enlightened
Gents just looking at the klarus P2a 2xaa professional flashlight to give to my aged mother as a present. She lives on about a half acre near forest and I was wondering where the 4000-5000 Cd gets to real distance wise?(not the 141metre 1 lux claim or whatever they use). Longest shot would be checking her fence at about 45-50 yards. Her last light was an old spec P7 led lenser which ran about 200 lumens and just illuminated fence and animals to about this distance. So this is what we are aiming for. Are we in the ballpark? If not I will move up to the nitecore mt21A at 10,000CD..

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want to see what's going on at 50 yards, 40,000cd will put about 16 lumens on the fence. That won't make it bright, but anything around the fence should be visible.

mickb

Enlightened
40,000CD for 50 yards??? I use an army tek predator for work at about 37000 Cd and can recognize a human figure or dog to almost 100. We only need to be able to discern something is there, not what whether it had a shave that morning :) I decided to go for the nitecore anyway, 10,000 CD to be safe.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah 40'000s extreme for 50 yards. My fenix pd35 at 10'000 would do it, but I wouldn't want any less. For comparison my olight m22 at 20'000 would do very nicely. So 10-20000 cd .

wjv

Enlightened
Might want to consider the Fenix TK15UE or the Fenix TK20R

Both have good run times and have 24,000+ CD

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
25,000ish cd for 50 yards is around the sweetspot. At that range, the hotspot will be diffused enough to cover a good amount while still being decently lit (assuming 1000ish lumens).

Tree is at 40 yards:

Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI (1100 lumens, 18k cd)
Y10n51J.jpg

Armytek Predator (1000 lumens, 43k cd)

jpOaijE.jpg

Manker U21vn (1500 lumens, 250k cd)

5ThMMed.jpg

mickb

Enlightened
25,000ish cd for 50 yards is around the sweetspot. At that range, the hotspot will be diffused enough to cover a good amount while still being decently lit (assuming 1000ish lumens).

Thanks for the beamshots, they are quitea bit more than I need though. We are looking to discern shape only, not detail.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Speaking as an owner of a P1a Mick, my qualm with it is if the tail cap loosens slightly the light is prone to have trouble lighting sometimes. Otherwise a great flashlight with a good combo of spread and spot. Now the 1a is not as bright as the P2a though so I cannot comment on the 50 yards need. I had considered gifting the 1a to a few folks but changed my mind after taking not of the tailcap issue. Consider a couple of pipe thread tape wraps to ensure it stays tight.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks twistedraven for the very useful beam shot comparisons. I've wanted to see how the SC600 MKIII HI compared to something I had experience with, and that pic and the Predator comparison does the trick.

ven

Flashaholic
Speaking as an owner of a P1a Mick, my qualm with it is if the tail cap loosens slightly the light is prone to have trouble lighting sometimes. Otherwise a great flashlight with a good combo of spread and spot. Now the 1a is not as bright as the P2a though so I cannot comment on the 50 yards need. I had considered gifting the 1a to a few folks but changed my mind after taking not of the tailcap issue. Consider a couple of pipe thread tape wraps to ensure it stays tight.

I had a p1a for a while till i lost it(got found but the guy did not tell me...................till 3 weeks later, told him to keep it). Other than the clip failing almost straight away, i got quite attached to it, it was my works pocket EDC for a good while. Head tight high, head loose low(always head tight for my uses) and loved the simplicity and feel. The light had lots of feel, gripy and felt/sat right in my hand. Compact enough to not really notice, yet not tiny enough to forget.............if makes sense(basically a good EDC size for me). I had pretty much forgot about this light...............goes off to dig an old pic out! Which incidentally is a brave thing to do, go back years on the almost unusable photobucket site!!! Now downloaded to laptop, uploaded back to imgur as bucket is playing up some of my images..........i degrees. Pic anyway
KddVLTgl.jpg

A recent cheap purchases now reminds me of this AA fed p1a, the lumapower AA fed(well mine has a 14500in). Its a little more finicky than the p1a with the head, head tight can not actually be tight, needs to be just nipped . It also has 3 modes on head loose with memory. Its having a 219c 5000k implant anyway, so its more usable on my eyes.
DqCfo9Al.jpg

8vY6J8al.jpg

LED nicely centred
tQSpKtAl.jpg

Built like a brick lavatory, it feels just as tough as the p1a..................its got a horrid ringy cold beam, but i like it :laughing: In use its not too bad(thats the important part), but its too cold for me as is. Back in the day, the 300+ lumens was crazy................years on its still a bright little thing.

Tr0NogAl.jpg

For less than the equiv of $20 new inc delivery , its not too bad.