Gearbest        

Thread: I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

Default I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

I bought this about 10 years ago. Been sitting in my closet the whole time. Can I update the head so that I get the latest emitter?

Iím amazed how expensive these things have gotten.

Default I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

Send it to someone to change the emitter, or learn how yourself.

Or sell it, can probably get about $120 for it.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Default Re: I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by youngster View Post
    Can I update the head
    click this link to ask the man that still makes HDS

and read this if you want a refresher on the features and programming
    Last edited by jon_slider; 10-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    click this link to ask the man that still makes HDS

and read this if you want a refresher on the features and programming
    i asked the man. He said the head couldnít be upgraded. Guess Iíll just hold onto it.

Give it to me ? Just a thought.

In my opinion is always a modern and actual flashlight. I own and use many. Contact CPF member Nitroz for a nice led upgrade.
    (T)

Also gunga could chuck a more up to date LED in there.
    My two 120ís were done UK side by CRX(and a mates). Nichia 219b 4000k in one(recommend) and 219c 5000k in another(love this for day time uses). Initial readings to after the LED swap showed at least 3x the output.
    I would have thought you would get similar result with the 60.

The last two gold ones, measured before and after

Novatac Twins
    Before
    High Ė 54lm
    Low Ė 8lm

After Nichia 219C D280 5000k 80CRI
    High Ė 220lm
    Low Ė 38lm

Before
    High Ė 74lm
    Low Ė 10lm

After Nichia NVSL219BT-V1 4000K 90+ CRI
    High Ė 250lm
    Low Ė 38lm

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Initial readings to after the LED swap showed at least 3x the output.
    great info!
    and the EDC Basic can be clicked 250 times to be programmable like an EDC Ultimate, so the low mode can be reduced and the other modes can be spaced accordingly..

Id leave it be. Old hds lights are fantastic as is and there getting harder and harder to get your hands on.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Id leave it be. Old hds lights are fantastic as is and there getting harder and harder to get your hands on.
    Yeah I agree. I think it will just go up in value, just like Arc flashlights. Iím keeping it as is. Itís in ideal condition.

I think it will just go up in value
    Up in value?

The original price was $160:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050204...omparison.html

2 years ago, a couple went for $110
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...EDC-XRGT-added

as ven pointed out, you could upgrade both the CRI and Lumens with an LED upgrade.. That Would increase the Value imo. You would then have a light that is as bright as the present models, for about $81 less, minus the cost of upgrade. (EDC Executive costs $241)

Some people like upgrading the LED in the 42 lumen model even better, because they are brighter after the upgrade..
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post5006042

I suggest you USE your light. If you put it back in the closet for another 10 years, I don't see any benefit.. but, its yours, do whatever makes you smile :-)

They may not skyrocket in price but 5 years from now they will be rare as hens teeth 🙂
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I agree with people who recommend leaving it as is. I have some lamps with "old" leds, and it is a pleasure to look at them turned off as well as turned on. Shapes and tints change, and for me being a flashaholic is also loving my old lights with this greenish Luxeon I led or this pinkish SSC P4...
    My HDS Action Light from 1999 would make no sense with upgraded TIR optics and XM-L2 led...

Flashaholic

I bought this about 10 years ago. Been sitting in my closet the whole time. Can I update the head so that I get the latest emitter?

Iím amazed how expensive these things have gotten.
    Keeping in original is always good for collectors.

BUT, should you decide to upgrade the LED here are the results from the upgrade to my old HDS B60.

Orignal LuxIII on left and Nichia 219c 4000K on the right; same camera exposure and white balance.

Simple emitter swap (well not so simple) but done without modding the driver, head or original Luxeon LED (which can always be reinstalled).
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

If happy with the colour temp and gets plenty of use, I agree no point. But if itís going to get shoved in a draw because itís too cold or blue or etc etc. Itís a great option to upgrade with a more modern LED keeping the classic HDS form. Pic your flavour and enjoy the light, rather than just storing it. Thatís me though, the little novatac recently was not too bad in original state. The beam was pure white, no actual tint. But it was not very bright and washed colours out a little. I would not have used it much as I would have simply grabbed a preferable light with a more pleasing beam. This had a 219c 5000k to keep a more pure white, yet colours now are not washed out. Not only more enjoyable (for me as subjective),but it gets used and part of my edc rotation. The lumen bump was a bonus! Itís surprisngly bright and more than enough on high for 95% of my uses.
    Advatages lower vf, brighter , nicer beam colour temp/tint. Lifeís too short, might as well just enjoy it to your preferences, if thatís standard then even better.....money saved

Quote Originally Posted by pc_light View Post
    Keeping in original is always good for collectors.

BUT, should you decide to upgrade the LED here are the results from the upgrade to my old HDS B60.

Orignal LuxIII on left and Nichia 219c 4000K on the right; same camera exposure and white balance.

Simple emitter swap (well not so simple) but done without modding the driver, head or original Luxeon LED (which can always be reinstalled).
    Great info, thanks for the photo!

Have you 250click, to reset original sublumen and 10 lumen modes?

Mine was a LE, upgraded with a XP-L to bring lumens level to current standards (dark doesnít get darker, but my eyes get older and older...).
    Did the 250click trick way too many time, to bring it to a Basic/Ultimate standard programming, and lower the lowest mode at its minimum.

Lower Vf current leds help a lot in runtime, and of course brightness. Modding is easy, and you can always go back to the original emitter.
    Want DC-fix? PM me!

Good ideas in this thread, ranked:

3. Swap the emitter. As I type this, there's a B60 with a 219 emitter clipped to my belt.

2. Leave it as is. The beam on these is great. If you click the hell out it to get to the options menu and turn on locator flash, it makes a great emergency light that you can find in a blackout (I have an unmodded Basic model filling this duty), or a bedside light. Locator flash will run for two years on the original models.

1. Give it to me.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.