NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Supbeam K40vn- Discontinued masterpiece that can't be replicated

Cool Supbeam K40vn- Discontinued masterpiece that can't be replicated

My light is the K40vn XML2 [U3] PDT.

These are the numbers "rdrfronty" got.

K40vn - 1625 lumens - 397kcd

I almost pulled off a Block buster Three light deal[for One light] that would have included the K40vn. I am grateful that it did not come to fruition. I was able to raise enough money selling the other Two lights on my own,in addition to a Third One.Sometimes when I get desperate I give up too much. Glad it did not happen this time!

What I LOVE about this light:

-Beautiful tint

-Perfect "Beam profile"-NO rings

-RELIABLE-I have had it almost 4 years[in December] NOT One issue.

-Plenty of throw

-More than sufficient peripheral light

-*Manages heat very well

-Great run time on max and other levels

-Perfect size-actually fits in my hand from palm to end of fingers!

-CAPO loves it!

* 57F/14C tonight. Ran the light for 17 minutes on max. Then 5 minutes on Level 3, then the last 10 minutes on Level 6 again. ONLY the top of the handle started to get hot after 17 minutes of Max. Once it is 45F/7C or less, heat will not be an issue whatsoever.

Special guest and K40vn fan,,,Bruce Lee

PHOTOS:

This does NOT represent the True tint. It is NOT even close to being this Yellow. 110 yards away[top of hill where deer are! Somewhat blurry. Look at "12 O'clock. Top of the BEAM. You will see two deer behind it!

Utility Pole is 300 yards away.

I love K40vn. I will NEVER sell this light or TK61vn V4
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Default Re: Supbeam K40vn- Discontinued masterpiece that can't be replicated

Nice light Capo! I have the K40Lvn with similar specs. It uses XPL-PDT instead of XML2-PDT. That was my first "big" light. A lot of throw for the buck at that time.
    Last edited by MAD777; 10-12-2017 at 07:48 PM.

One of my favorite lights of all time. I gave mine to my dad as a birthday gift. It has to be one of his best sellers if not the best seller. I actually measured my personal one at 426K lux. Even though the TN42 is much higher lux and by almost a 1000L, the K40vn was the light I would always grab when going out because it was had a good UI and excellent throw with nice spill. It's also not too big to fit uncomfortably in a coat pocket and can be easily and safely locked out.
    Lambda and other high power Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Light View Post
    One of my favorite lights of all time. I gave mine to my dad as a birthday gift. It has to be one of his best sellers if not the best seller. I actually measured my personal one at 426K lux. Even though the TN42 is much higher lux and by almost a 1000L, the K40vn was the light I would always grab when going out because it was had a good UI and excellent throw with nice spill. It's also not too big to fit uncomfortably in a coat pocket and can be easily and safely locked out.

I agree. It has a much more usable beam than the TN42vn. The TN42vn is one of the lights I just sold. I definitely like my K40vn more, hence I still have it!

The K40vn was the second V54 light I got. The first was an X10vn. A nice single 26650 light.
    A resentment is a cancer that eats us away from the inside and is portrayed by our attitude from the outside. Capolini-6.4.2003
    Physical beauty temporarily satisfies the eye. Inner beauty is eternal and nurtures the soul. Capolini-7.23.2017

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Nice light Capo! I have the K40Lvn with similar specs. It uses XPL-PDT instead of XML2-PDT. That was my first "big" light. A lot of throw for the buck at that time.
    Very nice light! I would suspect the K40Lvn would get a bit hotter?

Flashaholic

I would have to agree with you on keeping both lights. I have a K40Mvn with a shaved dome. This light is a beast for flood and throw. I picked up a used TK61vn v4 and it is one of my favorite lights to show off with. I still have not fired up the TN42vn yet as work has been a little hectic as of late. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the rest of my collection.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

The "V4" is another light I will never sell.

I love the throw/tint/output/beam profile and great heat management. Even on a hot summer night I can run it for 20 minutes on Turbo b/4 dialing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildude View Post
    ..... I picked up a used TK61vn v4 ......
    Who dumped a TK61vn V4 ????
    :shock: :horror: :disbelief:

Flashaholic

I can not remember who sold it but it was for sale for a week or so before I decided that I would buy it. I think that it was back around January or February. One of my favorites as well for the same reasons. So much fun to turn night into day.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

Well said Capo. I love mine.
    Sometimes we don't get what we pray for. Sometimes we get much more.

I have a K40vn also--my reference go to light--perfect beam--- with all that's been going on with the SST40-- I have a stock K40 I'm thinking about getting Vinh to put a SST40 in--wish they would get some warmer tints out there
    K40Mvn (5k/4k domed/dedome) SR52vn(PDTn/PDTw) P15vn P16vn(PDTw) P12(PDTc) SRT6vn(PDTc) PD35vn(2c domed/PDTn) TX25C2vn V2T S200C2vn(PDTn) TK61(PDTc) LD50vn (PDT)
    M2Xvn (PDTsw) MX25L3 (4k) TN32(PDTc) TN36vn(dedome)

Flashaholic*

go into your software and adjust the white balance to what you are seeing with your naked eye
    most times you can get real close to real life values
    did you ever get that lux meter to check your lights with ?

Quote Originally Posted by chops728 View Post
    I have a K40vn also--my reference go to light--perfect beam--- with all that's been going on with the SST40-- I have a stock K40 I'm thinking about getting Vinh to put a SST40 in--wish they would get some warmer tints out there
    Thanks for the Input chops and Kevin.

the K40vn was one of the first lights i bought from vinhs "limited runs" of light sales in the marketplace before he launched this forum... circa august 2013

I agree, its a great light, and has seen a good lifecycle (k40vn, k40mvn, k40lvn etc)

I feel like when supbeam changed to microbluebear (briefly)... then acebeam, they lost some of the quality supbeam originally offered... if an original supbeam appears in the marketplace... GET IT!

also - the K50vn Fiatlux was one of my absolute favorite lights - i kick myself for selling it!