Zebralight SC600 mkIII Batteries

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

i am looking at the SC600 mkIII HI and had some concerns with the batteries. I have never used 18650s I have only used CR123s. Since the mkIII only takes unprotected cells can you recommend some that are good. I also have concerns about discharging the cells too much. I often use my torches while camping and (after a few beverages) I lose track and drain the battery until the light is dim or no longer working. In my javalot m2X a strobe kicks in when the batteries are low. Is this dangerous with 18650s? Do I need to worry if I use unprotected cells in the MKIII? I would be cautious not to over charge them but my concern is discharging them too much. I read the guide on care of 18650s, but I'm curious if some or all torches have a built in safety to protect from over discharging. I guess my last question would be what are the dangers of over discharging as described above?

Thanks for the help!!

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I'll bite, now days most battery chargers for lithium ions have intelligent charging. This means it will cut the charge once that battery reaches its fully charged voltage. I use Samsung 30Q flat top for my sc600. The 30q has a large following and is is recognized by all as a quality cell with high capacity.
The sc600 has a battery indicator function by pressing the button 3 times in rapid succession it will display battery voltage through a series of blinks 1-5.
Over discharge will reduce battery cycle life and should be avoided. I change my cells when they reach 3.6 volts.
The sc600 does use a automatic step down from turbo when the battery is close to depletion. When that happens you know it's time to charge.

terjee

Enlightened
I'll second DIPSTIX, and just add that I prefer VTC6 batteries, and they fit well.

Don't worry too much about overdischarge with those cells in that light. It's be hard to create a dangerous situation from overdischarge, with that setup.

Do however remember to charge the cells back up after usage, so they don't sit and self-discharge for weeks or months.

The biggest danger to be aware of here, is physically shorting or otherwise damaging the cells when out of the light, contact with keys and coins being a primary example. Do get some battery boxes or silicone "condoms" for them.

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
I'll second DIPSTIX, and just add that I prefer VTC6 batteries, and they fit well.

Thank you both for the reply. Just a few more questions - I am thinking of going with the Xtar VP2 as a charger - is this a decent charger?. Are there any reputable sites that you recommend to purchase the batteries from?

Thanks for the help!

terjee

Enlightened
Thank you both for the reply. Just a few more questions - I am thinking of going with the Xtar VP2 as a charger - is this a decent charger?. Are there any reputable sites that you recommend to purchase the batteries from?

I don't have any personal experience with that charger, but it's got a good reputation, and I'm sure it would serve you well. Only thing is to also consider if you'd want an analyzing charger, such as the Opus. One of the advantages of an analyzing one is that it can charge then discharge, to show remaining capacity, which is a decent indication of age. A good option is to get a VP2 now, and then reevaluate if/when you'd like to add a second charger.

For batteries to Europe, NKON is good place to buy things, I'm less sure about other markets, but I'm sure someone will be along with recommendations. Which continent would you like to buy from?

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
One of the advantages of an analyzing one is that it can charge then discharge, to show remaining capacity, which is a decent indication of age. A good option is to get a VP2 now, and then reevaluate if/when you'd like to add a second charger.

Which continent would you like to buy from?

I am from Canada so I have access to most items available in the US. If I go with an analysing charger does this mean I would not need a multimeter to see the charge in the battery? Also, why would you want to discharge a battery in a charger?

terjee

Enlightened
I am from Canada so I have access to most items available in the US. If I go with an analysing charger does this mean I would not need a multimeter to see the charge in the battery? Also, why would you want to discharge a battery in a charger?

Most chargers have at least some indication of the voltage, either direct readout, or LEDs. Most won't need a multimeter in addition to even a "normal" charger, unless they find it convenient.

The goal of discharging with an analyzing charger, is to get a readout of the capacity of a cell, in mAh. If it's less than about 80% or so, it's probably a good time to replace the cell

For most users, it's something I'd recommend for their second charger sort of thing, but not at all required for your first. :)

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Most chargers have at least some indication of the voltage, either direct readout, or LEDs. Most won't need a multimeter in addition to even a "normal" charger, unless they find it convenient.

The goal of discharging with an analyzing charger, is to get a readout of the capacity of a cell, in mAh. If it's less than about 80% or so, it's probably a good time to replace the cell

For most users, it's something I'd recommend for their second charger sort of thing, but not at all required for your first. :)

Thank you very much for the help! I tend to go off the deep end into all hobbies I take on :) so Im wondering if I should just get an analysing charger right away? Is there a certain Opus model that I should look into? I'll do a little research on the Opus and see where that takes me.

terjee

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the help! I tend to go off the deep end into all hobbies I take on :) so Im wondering if I should just get an analysing charger right away? Is there a certain Opus model that I should look into? I'll do a little research on the Opus and see where that takes me.

Opus BT-C3100 is probably the model to get. I see no harm in getting it straight away, if you'd like to.

If you want to go all nuts, then there's also the SkyRc MC3000, but it's more than double the price of the Opus, and it's not a lot you *need* it for.

Always hard to recommend specific products to people, since I don't know how these prices are for you etc. If in doubt, I'd say get the Opus now.

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Opus BT-C3100 is probably the model to get. I see no harm in getting it straight away, if you'd like to.

If you want to go all nuts, then there's also the SkyRc MC3000, but it's more than double the price of the Opus, and it's not a lot you *need* it for.

Always hard to recommend specific products to people, since I don't know how these prices are for you etc. If in doubt, I'd say get the Opus now.

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it!!

Cheers.