Angryfox        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LRI Photon Freedom

Default LRI Photon Freedom

Anyone still using this light? I found an old box that had several from my stash. I've been playing with it for the last couple of hours, remembering how to activate the hidden features.

I love the ground breaking interface, which was the standard for others to achieve.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Default Re: LRI Photon Freedom

Yes! I still keep and maintain several. One now lives on a SS bead chain around my neck 24-7. Very durable and very versatile. I like keeping them tucked away in baseball cap liners, on coat pulls, etc.

One is on my keychain, with a Yuji natural light emitter. PWM in the Photon Freedom is a massive distraction, but a great tool.

I've read that it's fairly easy to do an LED swap in this light, although I've never tried it.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

The original Photon is very simple and the wonderful Photon II is slightly less simple but the Freedom is doable as well. I keep a Nitecore TIP on my person but there are times when that little guy on the keychain just makes it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    The original Photon is very simple and the wonderful Photon II is slightly less simple but the Freedom is doable as well. I keep a Nitecore TIP on my person but there are times when that little guy on the keychain just makes it happen.
    I have one as a zipper pull on my jacket and coat. The Photon II was my first LED light, and things just kind of grew from there.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Yep, still carry one occasionally. I modded it with a warmer Nichia DS LED with shrink tubing for poor-man's "covert", and use a 2032 battery for long run time. Perfect for seeing things in the car on long trips at night. Would buy another if they upgrade the driver to a higher frequency PWM. But for its purpose, I don't hold that against it.

With the cooler weather coming, I like that idea of using them as zipper pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    With the cooler weather coming, I like that idea of using them as zipper pulls.
    And with them using a lithium cell, one doesn't have to worry about cold temps affecting the light as well.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    And with them using a lithium cell, one doesn't have to worry about cold temps affecting the light as well.
    Good point. Can't believe how many of these I have lying around, even a couple of the Doug Ritter versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    Yes! I still keep and maintain several. One now lives on a SS bead chain around my neck 24-7. Very durable and very versatile. I like keeping them tucked away in baseball cap liners, on coat pulls, etc.
    Funny, a photon freedom covert lives on a bead chain around my neck 24/7 as well. Past 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothybil View Post
    Freedoms are on all my coats

Would definitely like an LED upgrade and PWM a little faster.

For you guys mentioning the PWM, what's the issue with the Freedom, specifically?

For you guys mentioning the PWM, what's the issue with the Freedom, specifically?
    I love mine for how low it goes, how long it lasts on a coin cell, and how small it is. But the PWM is almost comical. If you swing it at arm's length at the lowest brightness, the distance between the flashes is inches. Doesn't bother me though. Carry mine daily and it's the oldest light I still use.

Most times using the Freedom on low settings is OK, but using it during rain or snow is very distracting, bordering on unusable for sustained use, depending on your tolerance for such optical disarray. I get mesmerized. Otherwise the user interface could be described as timeless, and the reliability top notch.

I currently have a Photon II on my keychain.

It works okay to light my path and helps me avoid stepping in or on something I'd rather not at night.

But it will soon be replaced my an Inova XS.

I have several and still use some of them regularly. The current one on my keychain has lived there for at least 12 years. I have Doug Ritter versions, too. I still buy them fairly regularly to give as gifts. The “platinum” body one is a nice color change. I have a few with Yugi Hi CRI LEDs, too. I like them (excellent CRI), but their “throw” isn’t very far. Even with all the other lights I have, I think I will always have a Photon Freedom with me.

Enlightened

I've read that it's fairly easy to do an LED swap in this light, although I've never tried it.

Remove, plug and play...even novices could do it

Enlightened

Had a white freedom on my keys for years, multiple battery changes and keeps ticking...quite worn, but working none the less.

Glad to see they're still in use by many.

Just put a 3200k Yuji in one of mine. =) Excellent nightstand or getting-to-the-treestand light.

Just added a Freedom Covert UV to the Photon collection.

The Photon Freedom has never been excelled, in my opinion, for a coin-cell light running a 5mm LED. I have maybe a dozen of them.

One of them I use just about every night for reading in bed, on my Speshul Set-Up. It's so speshul that I'm telling only you!

I bought a pair of cheap plastic reading-glasses from the grocery store. They cost me--literally--US$1.00. Ugly bright blue things with plastic frames.

Then I took an 11/16th" (maybe 17mm?) neodymium magnetic disc and super-glued it to the corner of the glasses frames, outboard of the right lens, in front of the hinge. The flat side of the disc is almost perpendicular to a line tangent to both lenses, but it aims a little bit in, so that the light converges at about 30-40 cms in front of my face.

The magnet fits exactly into the recess on the back of the Photon. I can pop the light onto the glasses frame, and it swivels up and down on the disc.

Then I lie in bed with my Covert Red and read my book of the day until I fall asleep. It keeps the light out of my wife's eyes, and does not suppress melatonin.

Best of all, when I roll over asleep, the Photon pops off the magnet, but the magnet does not come unglued from the frame. Or when I drop my glasses on the floor, or they get tumbled into the bedclothes--the magnetic attachment keeps the glue from breaking off the frame. (Though I did once break the magnet from the frame by pressing on the on/off switch while the Photon was on the magnet. Now, I always pull the Photon off the magnet, turn it off or on, and then pop it back on).

I get dozens of hours of reading out of one 2032 coin cell. After it becomes too dim, I save it. When I have a pair of them, then I use my Petzl e+LITE as my reading light, using the two low-voltage 2032s until they are thoroughly worn out.

It's a great system! Okay, now you have to pay me a million dollars because I told you my Speshul Secret technique.

If you like Photons, then you should definitely get some of these 11/16ths inch magnets. They do lots of fun tricks together.

For instance: glue a disc onto the tailcap of your Zebralight headlamp. Now slide it through your headstrap and you can click a Photon onto it, and your ZL has a red light on it, which aims up and down. Or a blue light, or a UV, or whatever.
    Last edited by lampeDépêche; 01-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Great response. Thanks for sharing.

The only downside with the Freedom is the parasitic drain of the electric switch. In that one way, the Photon I and II are better as lights to set back and forget about until they're needed.
    I've got a Freedom that lives in a winter jacket pocket, and it's always a little bit disappointing to find the battery run down without use after a year or two.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

I have Freedoms that I found the other day which have been sitting for years and they're fine and fired.

That drain is so low, it hasn't been a factor for me. As I age, I find my EDC lessening. I no longer want or require a folder, big pry bars, etc, on my person.

A small Victorinox SAK and a 1xAAA light is really all I need. I'll have these Freedoms deployed within the house and as zipper pulls.

I'm surprised to hear that the Freedom has parasitic drain. Has anyone measured it?

In a pocket, it could also be getting squeezed on now and then. And of course after four sequential squeezes, it will be constant-on, which will definitely drain it.

The drain is almost non-existent.

maybe it's something else then, same light has burned a couple batteries that way.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast